Search similar:

uniqs
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: [HSI] What does everyone think of the new $200 activation fe

Plain and simple money grab

The interesting thing will be how many folks will bend over and accept the charge. I bet LOTS of potential subscribers for this service will say thanks but no thanks.

The new BOZO of a CEO at Charter, Tom Rutledge, seems to be at the root of all the IDIOTIC ideas over the past couple of months or so.

I ASSume he is trying to put his " mark" on the company.

What a jackass!

I think Charter should FIRE Mr. Rutledge and rehire Mr. Lovett!

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

I totally agree with you 1000%, horseathalt7
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to 15444104

to 15444104
I'm sure the sweet spot is their 30/4 plan because it costs a good amount and those who don't need the speed will end up paying for it (Think grandma's who email and check weather paying $50 a month and using a few hundred meg per month.)

They can offer 100/5 but realistically if they deter people away from it with these stupid fees, then in the end it's more money for charter as their profit margin is probably best at the 30/4 range (also less worry about node overload and infrastructure issues.)

I have the 100/5 tier and it's $74.99 (must be some promo?)... I was paying $34.99 for 15/3...

I don't agree with anything the new CEO has done...

BF69 will tell you about modems being included... the thing you have to remember about that is that you now have a piece of charter equipment that you have to remember to return if you switch service/be responsible for. Should you forget to return it or your puppy chews the power cord, you're going to be paying a lot more for said modem than what you would have paid in store. I owned the same surfboard 5100 for over 10 years on 3 different cable systems and never had any issues. I have an SB6120 right now that's mine and love it.

Only offering two tiers? Well there you're either forcing people to pay $49.99 for internet or go without it... if you use it sparingly and don't need the speed, then you're forced to go with DSL (if it's available) which will happily provide nice slow speeds for a cheap price.

Finally... no promos... I was happy to sign a two year contract to get a decent price on internet! Charter then knew I'd be a customer for two years or would get money if I left. It was a win win for both of us... now however if there was a competitor who did come into the market with a better deal (highly unlikely for 100/5) I would switch.
AlexPAdams
join:2012-10-06
Saint Louis, MO

AlexPAdams to nunya

to nunya
The Sherman Antitrust Act was passed in 1890 and no court that I know of has made the ruling that it applies to caps. Just because you think something should be illegal doesn't make it so.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
So, this went into effect 10 days ago now.

Anyone know anyone that has gotten suckered into this yet? Or, better yet, does anyone know anyone that has told Charter to shove that where the sun doesn't shine!!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to AlexPAdams

MVM

to AlexPAdams
It just hasn't been tested in court (yet).

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine

I feel the same way about ISP hopping and have stuck with Charter for over a decade. 30Mb was good enough now that the boys have left the nest but one is moving back home for a year or so and I was considering upping for that time. No way now.

But this is affecting my loyalty. I despise ATT but I'm struggling with the DVR situation. Number of recordings at a time, and the need for adding another box. I've fought off the wife and son about switching but, as I said, I think this has tipped me over the edge where I feel Charter no longer cares about me/us and the gouging is beginning again in earnest.

Therefore, I'm going to visit the ATT site for U-verse tonight and probably switch on Monday but keeping Charter internet. However, I know the fibre CO for ATT is directly across the street from me so I might look for a deal involving 24Mb service with them.

I really like the opportunity of having 100Mb available though. Charter is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Help us Google! You're our only hope!

EDIT: Just got off chat with ATT. While they claim you can record 4 programs at once, that's only SD channels and it's not possible to record 4 HD channels at the same time. Also, you cannot add more DVRs. So my opinion of ATT is still the same.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99 to nunya

to nunya
In todays litiguious society I have a hard time believing a cherry as ripe as you imply would go unplucked, therefore I think it's non sequitur.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Wow, all this crap Charter is pulling lately makes me feel a lot better about the $73/mo my ISP charges.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

As said by howardfine:
"Charter is just shooting themselves in the foot."

They sure do seem to be trying their best

Hey TheTechGuru,
Want to share some of that upload over here?!

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to cork1958

to cork1958
That's what I'm getting here. 50/4 on the 30Mb plan.