Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to simon726

Premium Member

to simon726

Re: [Rant] Ontario Photo ID card now available at more locations

Show me your papers.. another step towards everyone carrying identify cards.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers

Anon

said by elwoodblues:

there is nothing wrong with this.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

So how do you prove ID with no ID?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

1 edit

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by digitalfutur:

said by elwoodblues:

So how do you prove ID with no ID?

There is no requirement in law to show any ID unless driving where upon request I must identify myself with a drivers license. If stopped by a police officer,I can volunteer the information, but again no law says I have to.

Do you have a green or red/white health card? If you have the latter does anyone ask if you are Digital Fur?

While in a different realm, look at the US with voter ID laws, how many people have ZERO identification, no birth certificate/passport etc... They seem to do just fine without any.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

There is no requirement in law to show any ID unless driving where upon request I must identify myself with a drivers license. If stopped by a police officer,I can volunteer the information, but again no law says I have to.

If they suspect that you've committed a crime, they can demand your ID even if you're walking down the street. Failure to provide ID can result in incarceration.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by TLS2000:

said by elwoodblues:

If they suspect that you've committed a crime, they can demand your ID even if you're walking down the street. Failure to provide ID can result in incarceration.

I don't believe they can demand a "government issued identification" - but they can demand you provide your correct identity -- different thing. You give them your name, address, phone number, and a reference who can verify your identity... now if they suspect you've committed a crime you're likely going "downtown" anyway -- and they will finger print you and attempt to verify the identification information you have provided.

If you lied - you'll get "providing false identification" charges thrown on top -- that doesn't mean "fake id" - it means you lied about your name or where you live or your date of birth or other details they have asked for to verify who you are. Some people get away with it - it's not too hard to get stopped for J-walking, and tell them you're Ron Smergman of 2319 West 1st Street, Victoria, BC - especially if you're in a small town in Manitoba... they'll write you a ticket and off you go... Poor Ron Smergman...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

said by elwoodblues:

I have a problem with that, its not of your GD business who I am.
If you suspect I've committed a crime, you better have evidence to arrest me, because frankly I'll sue the crap out of them afterwards.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
Under the HTA, when riding a bicycle, it says all you have do is identify yourself correctly, but don't have to offer up any proof such as a drivers license.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Police can detain you for the purpose of obtaining your identity if they suspect a crime has been committed and have reasonable grounds to believe you may have participated.

They can also detain you while they investigate if they have reasonable grounds to believe that you have direct knowledge of the crime.

Also, they can demand your ID for the purpose of issuing a ticket. For instance, if you jaywalk they can certainly ask you for ID.