Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to W7PSK

Premium Member

to W7PSK

Re: [Rant] Where to Report Severe RFI eminating from Comcast Cab

The problem with AM is all it takes is 1 transformer, 1 poorly made neon bulb, 1 compressor, 1 of just about anything to inflict mayhem. Even light switches can cause a "pop" on such a low frequency. I have lived in this semi-rural area for some years now and more often than not, AM is unlistenable at night from a very strong "buzzing" RFI. It afflicts several blocks but seems centered close to me(but not coming from my house, just a bit to the North bit makes it almost 1/2 mile south of me). I have suspected it could be transformer hum, due to the tone and the fact it subsides then comes back. Many high tension wires feed to this region. Point is, given so many causes, I tend to question the viability of AM in this generation, dependant on electronic gear. I have been lucky to have not had this issue in some places, but had some variant in others.

Before high availability of radio streams, I bought a Terk AM Advantage. Significantly reduces noise, as it claims. Does not eliminate it from fringe signals, but does a great job on locals and some distant signals, under these conditions. AM selectivity and interference rejection is very poor, due to frequencies involved and manufacturers just not giving a damn on modern equipment. This antenna helps more precisely tune, thus rejecting more RFI. To put it in perspective, if in the event this RFI showed up during the day at times, Albany was still listenable. This RFI was normally bad enough to make WUHN, WBRK, and WBEC noisy, which all are commercial stations in Pittsfield with decent power, less than 5 to 10 miles away from me. The optimal solution I use now for further stations is to stream them, thus hearing no RFI. Have devices that do it via my radios without needing my full computer. Gives me much better AM/FM selection, besides. I still keep my Terk around for locals. Small town stations around here tend to have crappy bitrates.

Thought I would help you in other ways, since this might prove futile to track down. Even an RF engineer had trouble tracking ours and said it might be a faulty transformer inducing the RFI into the power lines, but he wasn't sure. I can assure you it's not Comcast, though. Coax has trouble carrying frequencies below 5 MHz, due to the laws of physics. Thus, nothing would be operating in that band from them. Even if a faulty booster or something were emitting noise, the coax could not carry the RFI as strongly as you describe. I would look at anything else first. But, better yet, try one of my alternatives and get on with life. It's much too short to try and hunt this down. Higher frequencies would be easier, as there would be less causes to eliminate, as well as having the advantage of the RFI signal being directional enough to pinpoint the source.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

I noticed the term POCO a few times in this thread, is that another name for the Hydro Company?

W7PSK
Just Me
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Everett, WA

W7PSK

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

I noticed the term POCO a few times in this thread, is that another name for the Hydro Company?

Yes similar POCO = POwer COmpany