spc
uniqs

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to XCOM

to XCOM

Re: [Voip.ms] Failover options when server down

I doubt that it does. CallWithUs sort of makes me chuckle when I think about it. I don't take it as a serious communication company, but it does complete calls just fine. It's super cheap, so it would work as a Go-To in case your standard VOIP provider is having a bad day.

We found a regional DID.. 3$/mo for 3000 mins. That's silly cheap, and it works ok. It's a 3$ insurance policy... and with CallCentric doing a belly flop, it's helped.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by VexorgTR:

CallWithUs sort of makes me chuckle when I think about it. I don't take it as a serious communication company,

I disagree. CallWithUs is a real good communication provider, especially for business users.

One of the biggest advantages is the direct media from the carrier to the user. Direct media improves the audio quality and reduces latency to a minimum. It works like a charm.
said by »www.callwithus.com/faq :

Q. Do you proxy media?
A. CWU server automatically detects if your SIP device is on a public IP address or NAT traversal solution like STUN is employed in your SIP client, and sets direct audio path with call termination gateways, otherwise audio will be proxied by one of our servers closest to your geographical location.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Arne Bolen:

CallWithUs is a real good communication provider, especially for business users.

One of the biggest advantages is the direct media from the carrier to the user.

Direct Media improves the audio quality and reduces latency to a minimum. It works like a charm.

said by »www.callwithus.com/faq :

Q. Do you proxy media ?

A. CWU server automatically detects if your SIP device is on a public IP address or NAT traversal solution like STUN is employed in your SIP client, and sets direct audio path with call termination gateways, otherwise audio will be proxied by one of our servers closest to your geographical location.

Direct Media - This came up also within the long CallCentric thread, did it not ?

Does this mean that the actual audio data flows directly between the various parties of the call ?

That would soitainly sound to me like less server load for the provider.

Does CallCentric support Direct Media ?

If not, then that would explain a lot about the call quality being poor even after they first set up their alternate SIP registration servers during the attack - if their SIP servers ALSO had to carry the audio content.

Is Direct Media also supported by Anveo, VOIP.MS, and any other of our most discussed VoIPPs here ?

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

1 edit

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Direct Media - This came up also within the long CallCentric thread, did it not ?

It's possible, but I can't find it now.
said by Davesnothere:

Does this mean that the actual audio data flows directly between the various parties of the call ?

Yes, the audio flows directly from the carrier to you and it will not pass through a server at CallWithUs.
said by Davesnothere:

That would soitainly sound to me like less server load for the provider.

That is correct. A lot less server load as only the SIP data will pass through the provider server.
said by Davesnothere:

Does CallCentric support Direct Media ?

No.
said by Davesnothere:

If not, then that would explain a lot about the call quality being poor even after they first set up their alternate SIP registration servers during the attack - if their SIP servers ALSO had to carry the audio content.

Correct.
said by Davesnothere:

Is Direct Media also supported by Anveo, VOIP.MS, and any other of our most discussed VoIPPs here ?

Anveo = No

Anveo Direct = Yes (inbound only)

VoIP.ms = No

Voxbeam = Yes

Other of our most discussed VoIPPs here = No, with a few exceptions.

------

Please note that Direct Media often doesn't work for SIP devices behind NAT.

OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by Arne Bolen:

Please note that Direct Media often doesn't work for SIP devices behind NAT.

Until you set up STUN server in your SIP device. Then it works well behind NAT...
All my SIP clients (including OBi100 ATA) sit behind their own NATs and all they communicate nicely using external STUN server(s).

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to Arne Bolen

to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by VexorgTR:

CallWithUs sort of makes me chuckle when I think about it. I don't take it as a serious communication company,

I disagree. CallWithUs is a real good communication provider, especially for business users.

I'm not hating on CallWithUs... but I can't see them as a top rated go to because.......

1. No E911
2. No Number Porting
3. Billing/Payment system does not support auto recharge
4. Non-robust server structure.

Therefore, I would consider them as a supplement or a secondary. I'm not hating on them. What they do, they do just fine.

Zirconium
@jillyred.net

Zirconium

Anon

I haven't tried it but I like the idea that callwithus does one thing: provide DIDs.

And after the attack on CC, if I ran a business using voip, I would get two or three DIDs from two or three companies like callwithus - small companies that had a good track record; then, if the vosp I used for outgoing was attacked, it would be easy to switch to a backup, while the incoming DIDs were unaffected.

I would count on the small size of the companies providing the DIDs to shield them from the interest of internet psychos; but if one was targeted, I would still have two other numbers for customers to call.