dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

Facebook privacy (Do not want my name being searched on FB)

Hi - how can I disable people from searching my name within Facebook or even from Google?
So I want to prvent my name from being searched within Facebook and also from Google as well.

I need a detailed step by step explaination on this please.

I just do not like the the lack of privacy controls that FB has to offer.

Also, I used to have this PDF article about how to secure yourself on FB. Does anyone have this?

Thanks!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

The best way to not be subject to a Facebook search is to not have a Facebook account.

But, unless you are the only Thomas Jones in the world, there is no way to block a Google search. The best that you can do is present the lowest public profile possible. But if you are ever named in a court action, you own real property, or the like, staying off the grid is damned hard.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
Once you're on the grid, you're on it forever. Even if you go silent and block everything from then on, the data linked to your name that's "out there" remains out there, either in original or in derivative/copy form. The best you can hope for is that the existing data might gradually go stale... but there will always be a certain amount of current/new data appearing (over which you have no control) that will still be linkable to the aging stuff about you that never disappears.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Yup. Just Google your own real name. In my case there's stuff that I never put out there

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

Wildcatboy to slajoh01

Mod

to slajoh01

Home -> Privacy settings -> How you connect. Change the top two options to Friends.

Home -> Privacy Settings -> Ads, Apps and web sites -> Public search. Disable it.

You can disable apps completely as well if you wish.You can also limit the permission on old posts as well within the privacy settings.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

Hi - how can I disable people from searching my name within Facebook or even from Google?
So I want to prvent my name from being searched within Facebook and also from Google as well.

See what Wildcatboy See Profile said.

Disabling Public search will only keep your profile from search engines or non-Facebook users. It will not keep your profile from other Facebook users. That said, you can set your Privacy settings to limit what Facebook users can see. For example if you were to view my my profile you would only be able to see my name and profile picture (Don't want anyone to see your picture? Then don't provide one.) You would also be able to send me a message but not a Friend Request. That's it. You have to be a Friend to see more.

You can also limit what Friends see, you can set to OnlyMe (What's the point of having an account in the first place?). It is up to you. Just go through all the Privacy Settings and choose what you are comfortable with. Also review all of your Account Settings.

As for Google, your name and profile picture (if you don't want a picture do not provide one) is publicly visible. You cannot change that. You can, like in Facebook, choose what information (aside from name and picture) others can see.

With both services, do not post things you do not what to share with the world. You are in control of that.
said by slajoh01:

Lack of privacy controls? Facebook has a lot of privacy controls, you just need to take the time to learn and use them. It not that hard to figure out. Go through all of them, you should be able to figure them out. If you can not, then perhaps Facebook is not for you, simply log in and go here: »www.facebook.com/deactivate.php.

Do that same for Google, just go through all of the settings, it not hard. You should be able to figure it out. If not.... well, same advice as for Facebook, log in to Google and go here: »plus.google.com/downgrade/ to Delete Google+ content or your entire Google profile. You can also go here: »accounts.google.com/b/0/ ··· eAccount to Delete your Google Account

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

Wildcatboy

Mod

said by chrisretusn:

As for Google, your name and profile picture (if you don't want a picture do not provide one) is publicly visible.

That's not entirely true. If you Choose the options I provided, your "profile" will not come up on a Google search even if people search for your facebook name.

However, if you post on a public page, or for example you attend a public event, then since the event is public and will come up on a Google search, your name and picture will come up within that search. Even then, your name is not hyperlinked which means people can't click on it and go to your profile page that way.

Pretty much everything on facebook has a workaround if you are serious about being stealthy.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Wildcatboy:

If you Choose the options I provided, your "profile" will not come up on a Google search even if people search for your facebook name.

Just to be aware of it, facebook can be queried via an email address too.
This site is primarily used for seeing whether a Yahoo ID is online but it also has a facebook search function that will use email addresses rather than proper names.
»www.imvisible.info/

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

Wildcatboy

Mod

The settings I provided will take care of that too. The user can't be found by searching for the email address or the phone number.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

I need a detailed step by step explaination on this please.

Also, I used to have this PDF article about how to secure yourself on FB. Does anyone have this?

Thanks!

I am glad you are taking steps to increase your privacy...I know enough about you that I also hope you will be more careful on what you post in forums that even relates to your "slajoh01". As people move on in the world we still get numerous request to delete old post/ info/details from forums and websites that the user feels is not in their best interest to be open to the public any longer.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Wildcatboy

Premium Member

to Wildcatboy
said by Wildcatboy:

The settings I provided will take care of that too. The user can't be found by searching for the email address or the phone number.

I just tried 2 different facebook accounts associated with 2 different yahoomail accounts & both facebook ID's were produced even after following
"Home -> Privacy Settings -> Ads, Apps and web sites -> Public search. Disable it."
One possible explanation is that the yahoo detector produced cached data from previous searches when Public search was enabled.
Another explanation is that the yahoo detector isn't using or following facebook's search functions.
The yahoo detectors will only work with a yahooID, beyond that I have no idea why it's producing hits after disabling Public search.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 edit

chrisretusn to Wildcatboy

Premium Member

to Wildcatboy
said by Wildcatboy:

said by chrisretusn:

As for Google, your name and profile picture (if you don't want a picture do not provide one) is publicly visible.

That's not entirely true. If you Choose the options I provided, your "profile" will not come up on a Google search even if people search for your facebook name.

Please reread my post.
said by chrisretusn:

Disabling Public search will only keep your profile from search engines or non-Facebook users. It will not keep your profile from other Facebook users.

I say search engines, of which Google is only one of them.

"The as for Google" part was referring to the Google service not Facebook. I took the OP's question as wanting to keep his name from being searched in Facebook and in Google as in Google profiles. Which may have been an misunderstanding on my part but my statement is in fact absolutely true. You cannot keep your Google profile name from being searched by search engines.
chrisretusn

chrisretusn to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
I just tried that site, it does not detect any Facebook account that I tried. I tested several accounts all of which I happen to know have Public search disabled What I get with user ID or email is "redacted doesn't have a Facebook account".

I does work for folks that have an open profile. But so does Google or any search engine.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
Here's a fairly good guide on locking down your FB account. Check around the site for other good tips regarding FB.

»facecrooks.com/Internet- ··· ity.html
Expand your moderator at work
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

No i wouldnt be that mean La Luna...

Its just crazy to give out EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU w/o caring who is collecting info on you!!

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

But you don't have to give everything out is what I'm saying. You have to be smart about it, and the OP was asking for help with locking down his account, not asking to be criticized for having a FB account. I know you mean well, but you have to be careful with what and how you say things.

Edit: grammar

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01

Re: Facebook privacy (Do not want my name being searched on FB)

This should help somewhat:
»blog.eset.com/2012/09/13 ··· ity-safe

As Wildcatboy See Profile wrote:

Home -> Privacy Settings -> Ads, Apps and web sites -> Public search. Disable it.

What the above setting suggests is, you will not be able to be found on a search engine. Those will "public" accounts can be found via a search engine.

This and tweaking your Timeline Privacy settings will help you fly on Facebook below the radar.
siljaline

siljaline to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01

Re: Facebook privacy (Do not want my name being searched on FB)

The Facebook activity log helps you control what you post.
Things that may have been accidently posted as public can reversed.
Good vid and explanation:
»www.facebook.com/help/43 ··· 2945092/

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to slajoh01

Premium Member

to slajoh01
Huh. I googled my name.

Apparently, I'm not the only D.B. Cooper.

Weird.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Then you are safe..but if you get calls have to show us the colour of your money.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

D.B.Cooper Money
said by Name Game:

Then you are safe..but if you get calls have to show us the colour of your money.

You may find some of it a bit old and tattered...
New evidence