uniqs

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to james1979

to james1979

Re: Gen 4 cable question

Spaceway2 is a Ka-band satellite, the HN7000S system is only used with Ku-band satellites. So one of your two opening statements is incorrect. But it's academic, because the satellite location has absolutely nothing to do with what cable is used. What's more important is the age and type.

First, that cable you ID'd isn't on the Hughes-approved list. It does however satisfy the freq response requirement, but I doubt it has a solid copper center conductor. Plus, time takes a toll on cable, especially if it isn't in conduit. Additionally, Gen4 only requires one cable now, so I strongly recommend you abandon the old dual cable run in favor of a new Hughes-approved 3GHz/solid copper cable. Quad shield isn't necessary unless you have known RFI in the area. If any of it goes underground, using flooded cable will also save you money on conduit. I personally use Belden 1829BC. If you don't bury, 1829AC is the same stuff without the flooding.

//greg//

Kman08
@184.21.45.x

Kman08

Anon

You can use the dual core RG6 cable. It works just fine. And if you are like me and just buried brand new conduit and line you can use the other leg as a spare for testing or replacement later. The old line will work with both Exede and Gen 4. I would however recommend replacing it to a better standard. Such as the newer 3Ghz stuff is.
C0RR0SIVE
join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

C0RR0SIVE

If the old line is in good condition, meets specs, and is of quality, then keep it. It's nice having that secondary feed on the newer system in the event that you do need to test a different line for potential issues with your normal line.