Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to audiotek

Re: How to increase Wi-Fi range in a house

The correct advice already noted is simply get an Access Point (nothing more than a tx-rcve radio) which is connected by that cat5 Cable to your Router. Since Access Points, volume wise, are more of a speciality item, its usually cost effective to buy a wifi router and simply use the WIFI part (the radio). The benefit too in your case is that the wifi router (acting as an AP-switch) also has a switch (4 or 5 ports) to which you can connect your PC and other peripherals.

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

audiotek

join:2010-12-03
Toronto, ON
I don't really needs the ports as of now the SR300 sits on my kitchen table right beside my laptop that uses my modem/Wi-Fi at %98 signal strenght and my wife's Ipad right besides it uses the SR300 at %76 signal strenght and I have to reboot it every few hours and tell the Ipad to go to the SR300 otherwise it goes back to my modem/Wi-Fi signal. Main reason I want a strong signal upstairs is for my wife to use her Ipad anywhere upstairs and in the backyard (10 to 15 feet from the house)

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Regardless, the switch it a bonus, the main benefit is that you have full bandwidth to the AP via the cable. Anything else will not be as fast or stable. Its a no brainer if you have the cable already in place.

audiotek

join:2010-12-03
Toronto, ON
Makes sense to have the switch. Now is it possible to use the SR300 as an access point? Or my only bet is to return it and get an access point with a 4 port switch?