uniqs

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

MS is to blame for this one

DNT is a great concept, but Microsoft killed it the minute they decided to enable the option by default. Not tracking people who specifically enable the option is one thing, but the majority of websites are just going to ignore the setting completely if it is the default. And as much as I hate tracking, I can't say as though I blame them.

I view it no different than shipping TVs that by default skip commercials, rather than making the user take action to skip them. At least in the latter, advertisers have a chance with lazy people, and advertising really does fund the world we live in.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Camelot One:

the majority of websites are just going to ignore the setting completely if it is the default.

The sites are ignoring DNT requests anyway. The MS default setting is just a smokescreen.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

1 recommendation

Chubbysumo

said by FFH5:

said by Camelot One:

the majority of websites are just going to ignore the setting completely if it is the default.

The sites are ignoring DNT requests anyway. The MS default setting is just a smokescreen.

indeed. If you have firefox, getting NS and AB+ is the best way to kill any tracking by scripts(google analytics is everywhere), and you can only enable the scripts you need for the site to run, not allowing 3rd party tracking cookies, and blocking those pesky facebook like buttons that track where you are(along with anything else you want to block. DNT is a good idea, but currently, every website but the EFF ignores it.
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C

Ghostery is another good plugin for all browsers that allows more blocking of advertisers, FB, G+ and twitter tracking.
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga to Camelot One

to Camelot One
I think it's stupid. It doesn't matter why DNT is set, it should be honored. If user chose IE because it has that on by default, does that change situation? If non-IE browser will on first start say "Would you like marketing companies to spy on your every page view, select Track Me Please!" and set DNT accordingly, will they start complaining that browser misrepresented the intent of poor marketing companies and thus DNT has to be ignored for that browser too?

If there is a TV that has skip ads on by default, I'd expect some customers to buy it precisely because it's a nice out-of-box experience.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I see your point, but IE isn't a choice, it is the default on windows. It would be different if it was Firefox or one of the other (better) browsers. Anytime the default option on the default browser excludes marketing, marketers will ignore the option.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Advertising doesn't fund shit. All of the money to pay for it comes from our pockets eventually.

The big spenders seem to spend about 5-10+% of their revenue on marketing. That is added on to the cost of everything we buy.

So nothing that comes free with advertising is really free, we spend thousands of dollars a year on it when we buy products for the privilege of having ads inserted into content that we consume.

Personally I wish we'd drop the convoluted bullshit and just pay what things are worth.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Camelot One

to Camelot One

quote:
DNT is a great concept, but Microsoft killed it the minute they decided to enable the option by default
I wouldnt doubt they did this ON PURPOSE knowing it would cause a ruckus and end up ruining it!!!! (THEY ARE NOT ON PPL'S SIDES ANYMORE..... THEY ARE INTRUSIVE ASSHOLES TRYING TO RUN EVERYONE'S LIVES)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

said by 19579823:

... THEY (Microsoft) ARE NOT ON PPL'S SIDES ANYMORE.....

They never were.