EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

QC - Mtl Earthquake

Well that was pretty wild, at around 12:25am *boom* *rattle*, earthquake!
Very minor, I thought there was a train in my house, but it passed very quickly. It's pretty neat how you can hear them coming, and passing.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

I was driving back from a movie and didn't notice it at all. Was surprised when I read about it today

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
So you felt the earth move, it was good for you?

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

was there really an hearth quake or is this a joke

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Most action I've seen in a while!
EUS

2 recommendations

EUS to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

was there really an hearth quake or is this a joke

No, the fireplace is static.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
I heard the rattling but didn't really feel anything.

Didn't even realize it was an earthquake till someone mentioned it this morning.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Heh, I jumped out of bed thinking someone was breaking something outside, and at the same time thinking a train was coming through the house, (nothing makes sense when I'm half asleep).

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

everyone was sayign on face book something about people from quebec jumping up and down wanting to seperate, i thought it was a joke
dsl33
join:2012-02-02

dsl33 to EUS

to EUS
BELL farted?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

J E F F4 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

Well that was pretty wild, at around 12:25am *boom* *rattle*, earthquake!
Very minor, I thought there was a train in my house, but it passed very quickly. It's pretty neat how you can hear them coming, and passing.

screw you guys, enough with the making fun of my weight.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to EUS

to EUS
I thought I felt something around then in Ottawa... Only felt like a bus going by, but lasted a little too long to be that (and I didn't hear a bus).

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to EUS

to EUS
I was in the metro at the time. Missed it completely.
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

The sound started slowly to a big noise in a matter of seconds and then the power went out for a few minutes so it was enough to leave you stunned for a while. Then at 6 am the power went out again for 5 mins so it was enough so then make you go .

Nothing didn't move has it was so brief.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
CBC has a story about it:
»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/m ··· ake.html

It was just North of those odd little round hills which are SE of the city. The whole region is very active, though its dullsville compared to the most globally active regions in the world.

USGS gives it a 3.9 »earthquake.usgs.gov/eart ··· d3l5.php
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

Earthquake Canada gives a 4.5 so who is right ?

»www.earthquakescanada.nr ··· -eng.php

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

Very minor, I thought there was a train in my house, but it passed very quickly.

If a train passed through my house I would personally consider that to be a fairly major event, but that's just me. I'm very sensitive that way!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

You're right, but I meant minor in that it was super quick, there was no damage, nobody hurt, and no aftershocks.
The kids didn't even wake up!

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

It was felt by some in Ottawa but I slept through it.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Mont

Premium Member

to Mont
Both are correct.
Neither group is using the same scale.
The CGS will use either the Richter magnitude (ML) or the magnitude Nuttli (MN) depending on the geologic region of the event. The USGS uses the moment magnitude scale (M) in their reports.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to EUS

to EUS
It shook us quite a bit over here. A true WTF moment,

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to EUS

MVM

to EUS
Yeah, strongest earthquake I'd ever felt, so I was starting to get pretty concerned when the building (20 story concrete apartment building) started creaking. Enough to make my stuff rattle and at the sharp peak we were moving a fair bit, and there was a loud rumbling.

IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

IIgs

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Yeah, strongest earthquake I'd ever felt, so I was starting to get pretty concerned when the building (20 story concrete apartment building) started creaking. Enough to make my stuff rattle and at the sharp peak we were moving a fair bit, and there was a loud rumbling.

I'm also in a 20 story concrete apartment building (it'd be funny if it's the same one) and certainly felt it. Heard a sudden loud boom, and enough noise that I thought a bookshelf or something fell over in the other room. Then I felt my office chair bouncing quite noticeable, and suspected an earthquake. Thing is, it felt much stronger than any I've ever experienced before in Montreal (like say, the one I felt in '88).

My next door neighbor was concerned the building might actually collapse, and asked if we needed to evacuate.

No damage. Ironically though, later that morning Bell Canada decided to "accidentally" disconnect my Internet and telephone for the 5th time (so my phone line can survive an earthquake, but not Bell's stupidity).