sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Pauly

Mod

to Pauly

Re: Shopping channel (Rogers Cable) has FM radio audio

If it doesn't cost more to have a DTA then they should cancel the digital services fees for everyone!

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

if u have a DTA you dont pay digital service fee bro, please dont spread mis-information. if u have a regular stb then u can pay the digital service fee, but u also get vod, ipg, sdv, music channels, time shifting, etc a whole lot more and your getting ur moneys worth, not sure what the issue is bro

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

If it doesn't cost more to have a DTA then they should cancel the digital services fees for everyone!

LOL... Then Bell should get rid of the touch tone fee...

Fat chance of that ever happening.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
> if u have a DTA you dont pay digital service fee bro,
> please dont spread mis-information. if u have a regular
> stb then u can pay the digital service fee,

What is DTA?

I don't have STB - the service I pay for is pure analog TV - no digital component to my service at all.

That said, on my digital TV, I can receive the unscrambled VOD that apparently some people in my neighborhood are watching. I see this on digital channels in the 85-xxx channel range. This is with the cable going straight into my TV (because I have no STB's).

Pauly
canada

Pauly

sm5w2, rogers recently came out with a device for people like you who watch pure analog cable directly to their tv's cable input. Bet cha didnt know analog is going away? yes the signals are alerady digital down the little wire but your TV does not know how to listen to them, thankfully rogers thoght of people like you and will give you a FREE DTA50, its like a stripped down set top box, just simply to send the digital channels to your tv so when they turn off analog, you will not loose any tv channels. you can also thank Sbrooks for that cus he also thinks you should get one it will solve your channel 95 problem

oh and one more thing, analog channels ntsc 95, ntsc 96 and ntsc 97 use the fm 88 to 108 mhz spectrum so that means you have ingress in your cable line, basically signal is leaking into your cable wire, you can either fix the ingress which is hard and expensive or obtain the DTA and those channels will use a different frequency, possibly in the 400mhz range, and will not affect your tv reception whatsoever.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

> Rogers recently came out with a device for people like you who
> watch pure analog cable directly to their tv's cable input.

I rejected their offer for a DTA. A few months ago they changed a small handful of channels (played a shell-game with them) and they only moved one or two channels to digital (channels I never watched anyways).

> Bet cha didnt know analog is going away?

So they say - but so far not really in London. If (or when) they really start to erode the analog service by moving popular channels to digital-only channels, that's when I cancel my cable-TV service with them. I watch so little TV for the past year or three anyways because it's all turned to crap.

> yes the signals are alerady digital down the little wire but your
> TV does not know how to listen to them, thankfully rogers thought
> of people like you and will give you a FREE DTA50, its like a
> stripped down set top box

I have rejected their offer for such a box, because (1) I believe that accepting that box would alter or change my account with them (which I don't want to change) and (2) when I watch TV, I change the channel frequently, and analog channel-switching is MUCH faster than digital channel-changing.

> oh and one more thing, analog channels ntsc 95, ntsc 96 and ntsc
> 97 use the fm 88 to 108 mhz spectrum so that means you have
> ingress in your cable line, basically signal is leaking into your
> cable wire

That is probably the situation. I don't care about the shopping channel so it's no real problem for me.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

so there you have it folks, there will be some people like me, my neighbours, relatives, cousins and even sbrook, who happily obtain the free DTA50, to watch the QAM256 signals feed down the coaxial wire into my tv, and convert them out to an NTSC RF signal on analog channel 3 so my tv can display them, with little to no interference from nearby radio frequencies knocking out the audio on my channel.

Or you can cancel cable because you dont want to accept a FREE DTA50 box, and go to the competition like satellite or iptv, and find out they also use a set top box equiptment, and you will be very disappointed that you can not connect the coaxial cable from your satellite dish directly to the RF input on your TV set, and will threaten them and make a big stink, and eventually go back to cable and pick up the free DTA 50, and enjoy the channels, by this time there will be more channels missing, MTV is already gone from analog, and you will need DTA50 to pick it up, they will also find otu the next favourite channel u watch and move that over to digital too, wanna bet?
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

I understood exactly what you meant sbrook. If they can provide a DTA with no digital services fee, then they surely can provide a digital box without the same fee. I would also like to state that the help you provide on these boards is invaluable. Keep it up. Thank you!
Expand your moderator at work
Hooter

Hooter to Pauly

to Pauly

Re: Shopping channel (Rogers Cable) has FM radio audio

said by Pauly:

Or you can cancel cable because you dont want to accept a FREE DTA50 box....and eventually go back to cable and pick up the free DTA 50, and enjoy the channels, by this time there will be more channels missing, MTV is already gone from analog, and you will need DTA50 to pick it up, they will also find otu the next favourite channel u watch and move that over to digital too, wanna bet?

It is my belief that nothing is free. For now, Rogers is supplying a DTA at no charge to the customer. My guess, is that in another year or so (maybe less), they will be adding a rental charge to your bill for the DTA. They did the exact same thing with Internet modems. "Wanna bet?"

Or, great defender of Rogers, if you are not happy with the DTA, you can upgrade to one of their digital boxes and have to put up with the firmware upgrades from Rogers which are destroying any kind of enjoyment that people get from their Cable.

»PVR Drive Cycling

As for being funny, I do enjoy the comic relief that I get from reading your posts!