uniqs
share rss forum feed

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28

1 edit
reply to urbang33k

Re: Bell Usage Meter counting LAN data?

Yes he is. He'll download a 280MB mp4 file from alt.binaries.teevee to his hard drive. Later, at his convenience, he'll wirelessly stream it to his LCD TV (PS3 Media Server) from his PC. He can account for all his Internet traffic and its NOTHING anywhere near what BELL is reporting. I'm suggesting Bell's program is buggy and also counts all that LAN traffic which, of course, is ridiculous. I see no other explanation apart from Bell's metering just being all kinds of faulty.

Edit*** He has one of those combo modem/router units Bell provides. I never liked the idea of combos apart from pizza.

NonBell

@avaya.com

Get him a separate router so Bell's combo unit will only see pppoe and nothing more. if he still see high usage, then he is acutally using more than he thinks, or someone hacks into the new router as soon as it is installed. (Make sure he turns off the wifi from Bell's combo unit).

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28

said by NonBell :

Get him a separate router so Bell's combo unit will only see pppoe..

Yes, I would have been there with my DIR-655 within 5 minutes of him telling me about it... but he's 5 hours away, one way. LOL He's not handy with this stuff nor knows anyone who is. Those nutty combo jobs kinda dumb down people.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by pulp46:

Yes, I would have been there with my DIR-655 within 5 minutes of him telling me about it... but he's 5 hours away, one way.

Talk him through an trial install of LogMeIn or any one of the remote control apps, then take control of his machine & router to see what's going on and make any required changes.