Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Maybe it'll keep Best Buy in business

I love shopping at Best Buy. I shop at the one at Holyoke Mall when I am at home but shop the one at the Maine Mall when I am at Grandma's house. They unfortunately closed the store in Biddeford (which my cousin worked there in the past). The matter is that they carry cable modems at their Maine stores (which is predominately Time Warner turf) so their cable modem inventory was not moving due to the fact that TWC provided the modem at no charge. They also have Comcast Internet self install kits at their Maine Mall store and I am not aware of any Comcast systems in Maine other than Kittery (which is part of the Portsmouth, NH system).

I am sure those cable modems are flying off the shelves now with this modem fee.

I have always owned my own modem as long as I've had broadband. My current modem is an Arris TM722G. I have personally dealt with Mediacom and Comcast and they both charge for modems (when I had Mediacom, they offered a discount off the advertised rate for owning a modem, which was the early 2000's).

If they would let me put in a purchased EMTA, I would gladly buy Grandma an Arris TM822G (available on Amazon) complete with battery (since reliable phone service is crucial to senior citizens and TWC does not provide batteries although I could pick up a UPS power strip for her).
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
said by IowaCowboy:

I have always owned my own modem as long as I've had broadband.

Me too. When I first signed up for Optimum Online back in 2001, you had to buy your modem. There was no rental choice. Even though I have upgraded from the original purchased SB4100 to SB5100 through Cablevision, I continue to own the modem per their policies. As long as I can document the original ownership and serial number swaps (which I can), it is mine. I probably should sell it and get a freebe but I suspect at some point Cablevision will consider charging for modems too so I might as well keep it. It works!
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

They also have Comcast Internet self install kits at their Maine Mall store and I am not aware of any Comcast systems in Maine other than Kittery (which is part of the Portsmouth, NH system).

I believe the berwicks are Comcast. Also, several years ago Comcast bought Suscom which services the mid coast. I think Brunswick, Durham and that area...it is a very small pocket and looks weird on a coverage map...but it is there. I am surprised they never swapped with TW.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
I wish we had Time Warner where I live in Springfield (MA) where I live. While Comcast is better with network upgrades (as we got D3 upgrades pretty quickly), I think Time Warner is better with customer service. I moved one of my TiVo boxes to grandma's house and I had a hard time provisioning the CableCard, they told me to swap the card and call back. Comcast will roll a truck and blame customer owned equipment (the its not our problem attitude). I swapped the card and it was working the next day with no truck roll required.

At least we now have D3 at Grandma's house.

It seems each state has a dominant cable provider such as Mass is Comcast, Maine is Time Warner and Iowa is Mediacom. Some times they do have systems where they are not dominant like Time Warner has a few systems in Mass such as Pittsfield and Gardner. Iowa has a lot of independent cable providers in the small towns (operated mostly by telecom co-ops).
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to IowaCowboy
Negative. They *still* won't be moving as the fools aren't stocking things on the approved list. On the web, they list 6121 and 6580. The 6121 hasn't been on the list for years. On the shelves... 6140's. A few months back I asked one of the "managers" why the hell they're stocking these things as no cable operator within 100mi will activate it (officially.)