share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

[Rave] Western Digital warranty support

In March 2008 I purchased two Caviar Black 640 GB hard drives at $80 a pop for use in RAID 0.

Recently one of them started going bad, so I set up an advance RMA to replace the offending drive. A day later I get an email that they are sending me a 750 GB drive in return. I call WD and let them know I won't be able to use the newer drive in RAID with my remaining good drive.

So they offer to take back the second, healthy 640 GB drive and replace it with a second one of the 750 GB drives, which are not cheap.

THEN they send me prepaid labels for both 640 GB drives.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1

Nice work on the part of WD..
It would not surprise me if they stopped making the Caviar Black 640 GB drives though.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Yep, they were out of stock of the 640, which is why the 750 auto-shipped.

Still, I get two SATA III / 7200 rpm / 64mb cache drives because only one 640 failed. Probably the best warranty support I've experienced, ever.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Krisnatharok

I have no clue what it is like to deal their warranty support or even support for that matter.

Been buying WD since '98 and still to this day I haven't had one reason to contact them. Good to know they are still there for me if I do need them.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Krisnatharok

You're likely getting refurbished drives... meh...
I've never had refurbished drives last too long (talking about tens of drives here).

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter

Current in use disks w/warranty details
said by cowboyro:

You're likely getting refurbished drives... meh...
I've never had refurbished drives last too long (talking about tens of drives here).

If new prices went back to ~$75, then I would have no problem just tossing a bad disk (even in warranty), but at ~$100 for a new disk and a one year warranty, I'm pissed at the first sign of trouble.

Green is a craigslist purchase, yellow is out of warranty. Notice the five year warranties on the Caviar Black models? I miss that.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to cowboyro

How do you tell? The smart data looks fresh.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

Usually it states right on the label.
Yes, the SMART data is fresh - because it's a newly refurbished drive. But the bearings may be severely worn... after all a refurbished drive is one that was used, failed and was repaired...

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

Good Deal!

I switched from Seagate to WD but have not had to use their RMA.

Seagate was really good to me on RMAs.

I had a bad drive and for 10 bux they sent out the drive without waiting for me to return the bad one.

Then I fried the replacement.

Lather, Rinse Repeat for no additional charge.

Fried the next drive and did another RMA.

Finally I realized it was my enclosure frying the drive.

No Questions Asked by Seagate. Just 'Here you go'

The last one they sent was brand new rather than refurb.

Sounds like WD is great too.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

bassjunky

join:2005-05-12
Aubrey, TX
reply to Krisnatharok

Did you plug the serial # of the drive into their warranty website to check the warranty status? I have a 500GB that I purchased in mid '08 and the warranty has already expired (sometime in '11). Seems like I'm stuck with a bad drive, but maybe an email would convince them to send me a replacement.

I hate mechanical failures. Trying to decide if a data recover service is needed. I have a lot of video projects on this drive that I can't access now. Ughh.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Both replacement drives are covered by a six-month provisional warranty. It sucks, but I suppose it's only fair considering I got both drives for free after getting 3.5 years of use out of the initial drives.

I'll have to pull them out of my rig to see if they say new or refurbished.
--