Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Sniper3142

Re: Arrow - Premieres tonite

said by Sniper3142:

So far this has been a VERY GOOD Show!

I was surprised by how well they put this together. The storyline fits in with what was shown on Smallville and with certain parts from the comics.

I will keep watching this one for sure.

The narrative just seems really cheesy, as does the premise. But I am enjoying the action though.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to Sniper3142

Really? I think it sucks. I'm thinking of removing it from my TiVo recording queue.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to gaforces

said by gaforces:

It's like watching a soap opera with arrows

I thought the same thing about the second episode. I did not like it.
I thought the pilot was really good though.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

The ending was good. I didn't expect that.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
reply to Rook008

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

said by Alcohol:

You mean the guy in the hood shooting at him with arrows right? That was unexpected.
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by BigSensFan:

said by Alcohol:

You mean the guy in the hood shooting at him with arrows right? That was unexpected.

Yeah. I had no idea he was copying someone. Always figured he learned those moves trying to survive, hunting and shit.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Alcohol

That was probably the best part of the episode. The rest of the episode, especially the part about the detective's two daughters, seemed pretty soapy.

I figured he was starving on the island and learned to hunt to stay alive, but going up against an archer seems like it would be a much better story.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1

said by Rook008:

the part about the detective's two daughters, seemed pretty soapy.

apparently, i need to watch more of the "soap operas" you guys are watching. cause i've never seen one with a vigilante archer on a rampage and fighting Kelly Hu.

Oliver Queen, like any "superhero" requires motivation for his actions, and consequences for his choices. his relationships with his family and former lovers are a huge part of this. having hurt the feelings of the "love of his life" (Dinah), he must balance the selfish mistakes of his past with his desire to "save" his city. i think the conflict with the honorable police detective, that just so happens to be the father of two of this former flames is great fodder for this balancing act.

additionally, Oliver Queen has always been portrayed as a bit of a ladies man.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

I agree but it's annoying to see one guy being involved with every person in the family. The police had to be the father of the daughter he got killed while cheating on his other daughter. If they had a mother he'd probably be involved with her too.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Yeah. I had no idea he was copying someone. Always figured he learned those moves trying to survive, hunting and shit.

I figured someone on the island trained him. That bow of his in that case seemed to finely crafted to be something he just made.

Though I am still curious about his electronic arrows. Not something I would expect him to learn how to use on that island. And not something you could easily make or buy from the local sporting goods store.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to Boricua

'Arrow' gets full season

»tvline.com/2012/10/22/arrow-full···-the-cw/

quote:
The CW has picked up Arrow for a full, 22-episode season, TVLine has learned.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

said by Alcohol:

I figured someone on the island trained him. That bow of his in that case seemed to finely crafted to be something he just made.

Though I am still curious about his electronic arrows. Not something I would expect him to learn how to use on that island. And not something you could easily make or buy from the local sporting goods store.

Yeah, the arrow that can magically drain a safe of electronic cash.
--

LucasLee

said by Alcohol:

heh, not "magic", science fiction!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by LucasLee:

said by Alcohol:

heh, not "magic", science fiction!

One person's advanced technology is another person's "magic"
--
♬ Music is life ♬

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Boricua

It's not a bad show, I like the flashbacks, if you will, which begin to explain what happened to him on the island. The show certain has potential, but will it last 10yrs like Smallville? Not a chance in hell. Green Arrow is not Superman(or the blur),

But as someone said, Revenge for guys (but nowhere near as smart) using a superhero genre.

I personally can't stand a 22 episode season, simply because the writers and producers can't get enough content together and give us a BS epsiode, or cobble together a "best of" in the disguises of a new episode.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

tonights episode was pretty good. some more flashbacks of the island which lead to more questions. who are the other people on the island? They are obviously modern based upon the trap (materials of the trap)

So at least one other now knows his secret. I had a feeling he would find out. Anyone else notice that deadshot had Digg's brother's name on him?

Interesting that he can have electronic arrows but needs someone else to get the computer going. Also he seems to have a good handle of russian. Where did he learn that? The other guys on the island?

--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

I'm starting to like this show. It has potential.

The other people was an interesting twist.
Also, it kind of makes sense because when he was on the boat the notebook with the names of bad guys was empty. His dad is dead, so where did he get the names? The island must be an elite society of people that lookout for the world?

Also, I like how he had a ready-made cure for the poison he was shot with in his war-chest. Exactly the thing needed at that time.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to LucasLee

ok, my original post was a tad creepy. I'm liking this show for some reason, I dunno why.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to Alcohol

I think in a flashback scene from the first episode, his father told him the names and he wrote them down then
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

ok, my original post was a tad creepy. I'm liking this show for some reason, I dunno why.

I saw that post before you editied it. I was amused
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I had a second thought or two, and felt maybe I should "clean it up".. lol.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

A bummer CW doesn't just rebroadcast it's shows over the weekend.

True.

LOGO however is running both Angel and Buffy so this girl is a one happy camper (even though I own both series)

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

I'm starting to like this show. It has potential.

Yeah, it's growing on me, too. Some interesting stuff going on...

Such as the boat being sabotaged, and mom trying to have her son kidnapped to find out what Oliver's father told him, and everything going on on that island in the flashbacks.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Boricua

When are they going to bring in some comic book baddies? I'm tired of the evil corporate asshole of the week.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

LucasLee

said by juilinsandar:

When are they going to bring in some comic book baddies? I'm tired of the evil corporate asshole of the week.

you mean like in episode 3 where they used Floyd Lawton as Deadshot?

i was kinda blown away that they appear to have killed him off so quickly.

Deadshot was never really just a Green Arrow villian, he certainly gets around the DC Universe, but given he and Queen are both marksmen makes him an interesting foil for Green Arrow.

i have a feeling he may be back with some sort of mechanized eye.

i also really liked that they had Dinah (i have such a hard time calling her Laurel) beat someone up, since, she's always portrayed as a better hand-to-hand combatant than Green Arrow is. i was worried they'd relegate her to the damsel in distress role.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

How do figure they'll have her end up with super powers as Black Canary?

LucasLee

well, there are several distinct periods in Black Canary's history when she had no sonic scream, but still kicks all kinds of ass.
so i'm not particularly concerned if they choose not introduce super powers. they could quite easily take the Christopher Nolan approach and say that this version of DC continuity has no "superheroes", only highly skilled and unique individuals.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

Yeah, it's growing on me, too. Some interesting stuff going on...

Such as the boat being sabotaged, and mom trying to have her son kidnapped to find out what Oliver's father told him, and everything going on on that island in the flashbacks.

how did you pick up on the boat being sabotaged? Just the fact it was in a 'forgotten' warehouse?

I did forget about the mother being behind an attempted kidnapping.

I had assumed that the new father/husband was bad as well, but this last episode has me wondering. He didn't know about the salvage or the money spent.

This last episode was only so-so for me. I felt like he 'got the goods' on the bad guy a little easily. But the different twists did make up for it. And I am interested in seeing what happens now that the police seem to know who he is
--

LucasLee

they certainly escalated the overall plot by apparently outing Oliver .

the mother said the boat was sabotaged in episode 3 i believe

also, i know my inner fanboy is showing, but i'm pretty excited that Deathstroke The Terminator will be in the next episode.