All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Foxace36
join:2012-10-10

1 edit

Foxace36

[CenturyTel] Tech Support Was No Help (Suffering form High Ping)

Alright, so I called up Tech Support around 3x to get some help with my High ping issues (I'm currently suffering 200-3k MS of Ping) and I got no help. I even asked for them to switch me from interleave to Fastpath, yet they didn't even know what those were. Either my research has been very unsuccessful or they are just very misinformed. If anyone can provide me with some answers as to why I am getting such UNBELIEVABLE Ping that would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
kinco
join:2005-06-02
Cardington, OH

kinco

Re: [CenturyTel] Tech Support Was No Help (Suffering form High P

I take it you're a gamer? Let me share the tidbits of data I've collected from CenturyLink on this subject (from TalkToUs, high tier techs and simple customer support techs). CenturyLink is now installing servers that don't support FastPath. I've made dozens of inquiries about this. It seems to only be associated with ADSL2+ and VDSL, but yes, there is no FastPath with this company. I've heard from random sources that standard ADSL servers still allow it, but their newer equipment doesn't. So just give up on that....now, before it drives you nuts. You can't get it.

Now I'm sure someone here can shed some light on your high ping issue. Can you post some DOS ping tests to give us a rough idea of what's going on? Don't trust CTL's speed test for ping, either. It always reads mine @ 150+, and it's actually around 50, which is perfectly acceptible for online gaming.
Foxace36

Foxace36

Alright, so I just pinged google.com and here are the results I got.

Pinging google.com [173.194.69.102] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.69.102: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=45
Reply from 173.194.69.102: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=45
Reply from 173.194.69.102: bytes=32 time=193ms TTL=45
Reply from 173.194.69.102: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=45

Ping statistics for 173.194.69.102:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 191ms, Maximum = 193ms, Average = 192ms

As you can see, those kind of Pings are still not optimal for gaming. I'm hoping to find a solution to this. At ngith is when the Ping starts to hit around 2kish.

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest to Foxace36

to Foxace36
do a tracert to your game server..... then do it later tonite to see where the time increases.

you can do a tracert to Google if you like and post that just for a looksee.
kinco
join:2005-06-02
Cardington, OH

kinco

I just notced you said 3k, thought you said 300. Holy shit. Do the following to save us all time replying and asking for this stuff.

-Do a tracert to Google as retiredqwest said and post that here.
-Post your line stats
-Find out how far you are roughly from the DSLAM
-Post details about your setup. (How many jacks? Filters on non-DSL jacks? How old are your jacks/wires? How long is the cord from your jack to the modem? What kind of modem/router are you using? What console (if not PC) are you mainly gaming on? Are you hearing static on your phone line?
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor to Foxace36

to Foxace36
You may want to try plugging your modem into the NID (grey box attached to the outside of the house) & seeing if you get better ping times. If you do, then it's probably the wiring inside your place
akanei

akanei to Foxace36

to Foxace36
Pretty much having the same problem from 5PM-12AM. So depressing.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

1 edit

Nemesis158 to Foxace36

to Foxace36
Even if you were able to switch to fastpath, Interleave only adds 16ms of ping in each direction from the terminal (so 32ms total). something else is causing your 200ms base ping.

Edit: It has been my experience (personal and viewing this section of DSLReports) that CenturyLink is Overselling thier last mile hardware without backing it up.
For example, im currently running a continuous ping to google. My base ping is about 95ms, but the moment someone else in my house does something, it just jumps. as im typing this its averaging 600ms ping. its even spiked to over 1600 in the blink of an eye.
taiganaut
join:2012-10-17

taiganaut

Yeah, I hate to say it (mainly because it means a pain in the ass to switch and the indignity of crawling back to Comcast when I said I never would) but things are getting slowly and steadily worse in my area since the Qwest takeover.

Ping problems from 5pm-12am are not wiring, they're CenturyLink overselling beyond capacity and then everybody on the clown car DSLAM trying to, you know, use their connection.

I kinda thought it couldn't get too much worse than Qwest. Silly me.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

I spoke to a tech working out by our terminal recently who said that CL got $80mil from the merger to use to upgrade qwest's network, but said something along the lines that they needed to see how many people they could get before they would Bring in capacity for everyone because apparently, ISPs get heavily taxed on any equipment they install but end up not using.

There are 3 DSLAM remote terminals supplying my area. Each one of them has rack space for 8 T1 feeder lines. 8 T1 lines is a total of 12Mbit per Terminal. From what i can tell by how many people he said were on each terminal, only one of them is fully wired with 8 T1 lines. That box has 139 users plugged into it. I can understand the Use of aggregation, but if all 139 of those people happened to try download something at the same time: 1.5x8=12/139=0.08Mbit/s
The second box probably only has 4 T1 lines as it has ~70 users attached to it and the last box only has 1 T1 line and 9 Users.
Not very smart if you ask me.....

The tech's remote access program showed an alert barring all techs from moving users to different DSLAMs.
He said there was a work order to either get more T1 circuits allocated or maybe even install another terminal but he didnt know what exactly the plan was, only that its estimated to be finished by
November 30th