spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Guzzler
join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ

Guzzler

[AZ] Scheduled upgrade = Lost channels?

I got an email the other day from Cox stating that they will be doing upgrade in my area:

"Between midnight and 6 a.m. on October 10, 2012 Cox will be performing an upgrade in your area. This activity may result in you having to manually reset the power on your Cox High Speed Internet modem, router or other Cox provided equipment should these appear to not work the morning of October 10, 2012."

I got up this morning, and everything was working. No big deal. But I got curious and took a look at my modem. I lost 2 downstream channels! I went from 8 downstream channels, to 6 on my Cisco DPC3010.

I did power cycle the modem, just to be sure. Yep, still only 6 downstream channels. Ran speedtest.net, still have the same speeds as before.

Weird.

P.S.
Here are my levels, before anyone asks:

Downstream Channels
Channel 1: -3.4 dBmV 38.2 dB
Channel 2: -3.0 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 3: -3.2 dBmV 37.8 dB
Channel 4: -3.8 dBmV 37.8 dB
Channel 5: -3.5 dBmV 37.5 dB
Channel 6: -3.2 dBmV 37.3 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Channel 1: 46.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 46.5 dBmV
Channel 3: 46.5 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

frustratedaz
@cox.net

frustratedaz

Anon

I had to switch back to my motorola sbg900 after this "upgrade" as my netgear cmd31t is no longer able to connect at all.

This old modem used to get 11Mbps down, but now it's only getting 5Mbps down. Upload is 6.1Mbps, so that's weird. Everything was great until they did whatever they did.

Tempe area. I wonder if anyone else is unable to connect at all.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

If i remember correctly, this was mention not to long ago back. By another customers in the AZ market, after getting a notice of upgrades being done. Also that person mention after the upgrades his downstream channel count dropped to 6 channels. So there has to be a reason for what they are doing, but only way your gonna get a real answer to this. Is if one of the AZ tech's on here is willing to discuss, and tell you why.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to Guzzler

Premium Member

to Guzzler
I noticed this week my Upload speed is now Capped at just less than 5Mbps, on Premiere. Just like the Download was capped at 30Mbps a while back. There's your upgrade.
Guzzler
join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ

Guzzler

Well my speeds are still somewhat symmetrical, which is amazing Upload is just 1-5 Mbps slower than download (it varies each time, but still pretty close).

I wonder if they split the node, and took back the two channels as a buffer in case there is congestion later on.