share rss forum feed

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

snoopertise

Bottom lining it ...

The discussion is even more basic then the age old debate if marketing is evil or not evil.

It's that you have NO FREAKING choice on being blasted even when you seemingly are told ... you do.

And here is a scenario - how many people have a computer for each and every person in there house ... ok ... number is growing ...
but for example many kids share with their parents -

so lets see ... browsing by X number of people on one computer = arrrrrrrrrrghhhhh

oh and also the assertion that I am so stupid that if I were looking for product xyz ...
I can't possibly wonder into the internets all by myself and research ... I need it spoon fed to me.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
said by cabana:

oh and also the assertion that I am so stupid that if I were looking for product xyz ...
I can't possibly wonder into the internets all by myself and research ... I need it spoon fed to me.

If you're searching for product xyz, then you don't need to be marketed to.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

1 edit
said by openbox9:

said by cabana:

If you're searching for product xyz, then you don't need to be marketed to.

My assertion is ... I really don't need to be marketed too unless I ask for it ... I should have the right to say ... if you want me to pay a price for me to use your site ... fine.
I understand you gotta pay the rent.

I can even put up with your throwing some ads my way if and when I am in the act of looking for xyz.

But if you tell me you are not tracking me ... but you really are... that I have a problem with.

I don't care to have my information sold nine ways to Sunday ... just so you can throw unwanted crap my way... for so many reasons.

a) because I don't believe there are any teeth in penalties for abuse of flinging my personal information out there
b) because somewhere ... sometime ... a line has to be drawn in the sand of what you can and cannot know about me without my permission
c) malware explosions (ok I don't have this cause I am locked down ... but average joe just clicks away)
d) maybe one errant search explodes into 5 hundred "like products of the same errant nature"
e) Mobile - sigh - waiting for 5 thousand ads to load when all you want to see is xyz is just maddening
f) I am PAYING ... PAYING ... PAYING ... left and right for the apparent "privilege" of using the internet ... I pay the ISP(s), I pay the taxes, I pay the bandwidth, I pay the rental charges, I pay the equipment charges, I pay the gov't charges and the "make up a name for it" fees ...

At the end of the day a marketing company would like to continue to reach into my pocket ... but hey marketing company there is only so much pocket to go around

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
said by cabana:

I don't care to have my information sold nine ways to Sunday ... just so you can throw unwanted crap my way... for so many reasons.

You seem to be missing the point of targeted marketing. Targeting market sectors (can be individualized with technology and the Internet) is about finding a specific problem and then offering a specific solution for that problem. Target marketing is not about "throwing unwanted crap" your way. That is wasteful and often ineffective.
Expand your moderator at work