uniqs
real_goose
join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL

real_goose to DSLR98004

to DSLR98004

Re: [Voip.ms] Failover options when server down

said by DSLR98004:

I have multiple three-line Aastra SIP phones (9143i). I actually only use lines 1 and 2 on a normal basis (one home office line and one personal residence line). Those two lines (DIDs) are registered to the Seattle server. I have a third line/DID that is registered to Houston but is normally not used ($0.99/month insurance).

On my Aastra 6730i I have options to specify backup that seems to work automatically. For line 1 I set:
Proxy Server=tampa.voip.ms
Backup Proxy Server=chicago.voip.ms
Registrar Server=tampa.voip.ms
Backup Registrar Server=chicago.voip.ms
The Status screen field Backup Registrar Used? reports YES or NO to let you know which server is in use.

I will be looking for something other than an Obi with similar functions for the main house unless someone can tell me how to do something like this on an Obi.
DSLR98004
join:2012-07-16
Bellevue, WA

DSLR98004

said by real_goose:

said by DSLR98004:

I have multiple three-line Aastra SIP phones (9143i). I actually only use lines 1 and 2 on a normal basis (one home office line and one personal residence line). Those two lines (DIDs) are registered to the Seattle server. I have a third line/DID that is registered to Houston but is normally not used ($0.99/month insurance).

On my Aastra 6730i I have options to specify backup that seems to work automatically. For line 1 I set:
Proxy Server=tampa.voip.ms
Backup Proxy Server=chicago.voip.ms
Registrar Server=tampa.voip.ms
Backup Registrar Server=chicago.voip.ms
The Status screen field Backup Registrar Used? reports YES or NO to let you know which server is in use.

I will be looking for something other than an Obi with similar functions for the main house unless someone can tell me how to do something like this on an Obi.

My understanding is that the backup server will only be operational if you also make the same server change on the VOIP.ms web site. In other words, I don't believe you can fully automate the server switch using only the Aastra side. Can anyone confirm or correct my understanding?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by DSLR98004:

My understanding is that the backup server will only be operational if you also make the same server change on the VOIP.ms web site. In other words, I don't believe you can fully automate the server switch using only the Aastra side

Precisely. And that's the reason why failover should be done on their side and not on clients side...
obiliving
join:2011-01-22

1 recommendation

obiliving to real_goose

to real_goose
You don't need voip.ms to support DNS SRV.

On the OBi, enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy (under ITSP Profile/SIP). On your OBi SP Service page, enter "voip.ms" for the ProxyServer. Leave other servers (Registrar, etc.) blank.

On your OBi Network settings, look for the section heading Local DNS Records, and enter a record like this:

voip.ms=tampa.voip.ms,chicago.voip.ms

Give it a try. The OBi Device Admin Guide has more details about these settings.