All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

[Rant] Everyone jump on the Pink bandwagon...

I am getting so sick of seeing everyone jump on the Pink bandwagon. It's at the point where I don't get the feeling that companies really care about Breast Cancer but more about looking like they care. Year after year more people are jumping on just like they jump on every other bandwagon.

I know the idea is to raise awareness but there are a lot of companies out there that seem to use this as an excuse to raise awareness about their products more than awareness about Breast Cancer.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed

MVM

Always been that way - many companies virtually demand 100% participation on United Way drives from their employees so that they could crow about it on websites and advertising.

All about branding and marketing and marketing the company as one that cares about people to gain sympathy and good feelings about the brand. Think the CBS spots - CBS Cares...

God, I hate marking and the 'branding' BS... But sheeple fall for it so it will continue and be pervasive.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

I am getting so sick of seeing everyone jump on the Pink bandwagon. It's at the point where I don't get the feeling that companies really care about Breast Cancer but more about looking like they care. Year after year more people are jumping on just like they jump on every other bandwagon.

I know the idea is to raise awareness but there are a lot of companies out there that seem to use this as an excuse to raise awareness about their products more than awareness about Breast Cancer.

Is the pink campaign Breast Cancer awareness as a whole, or Susan G Komen only?

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

thegeek to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I agree. It gets a bit out of hand. Raising awareness is fine, but most companies seem to take it to the extreme just to make themselves look good. Some companies probably spend more on pink advertising materials than on what they actually contribute to the cause.

With that being said, if anyone hasn't donated to breast cancer research lately, get off the fucking internet and cut a check already. Hit up the United Way and March of Dimes while you are at it. If you can't afford a few bucks to donate then why the fuck are you paying for the internet? If you're here, then you can surely spare some cash for the sake of tits. Tits are good. Save them.

battleop

battleop to chamberc

to chamberc
Mostly the Susan G Komen endless advertising endorsements..

Ebolla
Dracut, MA

Ebolla to battleop

to battleop
Anyone who doesnt support this obviously hates boobies. And boobies need support, especially the big ones.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
The more pink I see, the more I am just reminded of how much money has been donated over the past decade or more and we are still nowhere closer to finding a cure

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

You also have to ask yourself where the money is going to that you give to these companies. Sure it maybe "non-profit" but how much of a "salary" is the staff getting?

Edit: Some are good ones but most, are not. Do your research first!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

4 recommendations

jadinolf

Premium Member

I jumped on the pink bandwagon in order to make people aware of breast cancer.

Probably because my wife died from breast cancer at the age of 46.

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

TrainBuff

Premium Member

Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Most of them are self-perpetuating marketing machines with little interest in curing cancer.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to ebgbjo

MVM

to ebgbjo
Fro cancer - with so many causes and genetic connections that a cure is noway possible - imho. The money going to treat it is fine and has had wonderful effects and successes. Since most cancers are not caused by a virus\bacteria - like colds and the like -the chances of a cure are a LOOOOONNNNNNNG way off, if they will ever become a reality.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

footballdude to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo
said by ebgbjo:

The more pink I see, the more I am just reminded of how much money has been donated over the past decade or more and we are still nowhere closer to finding a cure

I always think about that when the annual United Way drive kicks into gear. A few years ago I got a breakdown of how the St Louis United Way spent it's money. Overhead wasn't too bad for such a high PR charity and they did spread the money around to dozens of local organizations. But a little closer look turned me away from the United Way. They gave $1000 or $1500 to lots of worthy organizations like Ronald McDonald House or abused women's shelters, but they gave 90% of the money (over $1,000,000) to the Urban League, which is nothing but a front for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

When someone tries as hard as United Way and Komen does to get charity donations, it makes me immediately suspicious of where that money's going.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

The United Way is 100% overhead. You can have more of your money do useful stuff by contributing directly to charities.

battleop

battleop to footballdude

to footballdude
Sometimes I feel that the search for the "Cure" of anything is like the war on drugs. If the war is won or the cure is found a lot of people are going to be out of a job.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

There will always be something else out there to cure. Plenty of things to keep humans busy for a few centuries.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

Sometimes I feel that the search for the "Cure" of anything is like the war on drugs. If the war is won or the cure is found a lot of people are going to be out of a job.

I don't want to be too cynical. I've no doubt that someone will eventually find a cure for cancer. And I know that research requires funding. But I don't blindly trust that everyone that says they're in it for a cure is really in it for a cure. Or even if they mean well, I'm not convinced they're doing things the correct way.

The way I deal with it is that I've selected a couple of charities that I know are handling things well and I support them every time I get paid. When other charities try to beat me over the head and guilt me into giving, I'm just not interested.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Here:
»jezebel.com/5950971/the- ··· culation

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

1 recommendation

Mospaw to thegeek

to thegeek
Some brands get too much exposure. It's hard not to get cynical some times.

As for the Untied Way, don't give them money. I've said this before: »Re: [Rant] United Way Day of Caring

You're better off finding the charities the United Way gives to and directly donating.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Very few, if any, companies would donate money towards a "cause" without getting something in return.

Indeed, most if not all companies that participate in such things, do it in order to get more exposure (and in turn most customers, and in turn more money).

At the end of the day, everything is about money. The companies really couldn't give a damn about actually finding a cure. What they care about is their bottom line. If participating in finding a cure or donating toward charities wasn't profitable, they wouldn't do it.

Sad but true.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

»todayhealth.today.com/_n ··· say?lite

They need some other type of help or friendship even thought there is no money to be made for their situation.

echo85
RIP DINGO
Premium Member
join:2012-02-07

echo85 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Once something starts generating profits it becomes an industry, it shall never go away.
A good cause, but no more worthy than prostate cancer, diabetes or a dozen others.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Always been that way - many companies virtually demand 100% participation on United Way drives from their employees so that they could crow about it on websites and advertising.

All about branding and marketing and marketing the company as one that cares about people to gain sympathy and good feelings about the brand. Think the CBS spots - CBS Cares...

God, I hate marking and the 'branding' BS... But sheeple fall for it so it will continue and be pervasive.

I did not want to donate money to the united Way for reasons I don't like.. anyways my company kinda forces you to regardless and it's highly annoying so I give the least amount I can

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Ebolla

Premium Member

to Ebolla
said by Ebolla:

Anyone who doesnt support this obviously hates boobies. And boobies need support, especially the big ones.

As a married man I support... my wife's

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

Cthen to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

said by CylonRed:

I did not want to donate money to the united Way for reasons I don't like.. anyways my company kinda forces you to regardless and it's highly annoying so I give the least amount I can

I had a company try that with me once and I refused. They threatened to take out of my paycheck but a quick call to the state's labor board shut them up. If they are in any way forcing you, it is theft, plain and simple.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Cthen:

said by Subaru:

said by CylonRed:

I had a company try that with me once and I refused. They threatened to take out of my paycheck but a quick call to the state's labor board shut them up. If they are in any way forcing you, it is theft, plain and simple.

I'm going to try that on them next year a lot of other people are pissed off at it as well.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Another roadblock in looking for cures is the fact that it is legal to patent genes. This means if you find a common link in the human genome for cancers, And a big pharmacorp owns the patent to that gene they can sue you even for attempting research. Yes corporations can own genetic code... And do not care if people die because their patents might hold back general research.

battleop

battleop

I can see the patent trolls next master plan....

Step 1. Find gene that's common to every human.
Step 2. Patent that gene
Step 3. Sue every human on earth for $1.
Step 4. PROFIT!!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
The only color corporations really think about is Green

hurfy
Premium Member