join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to planet

MVM

to planet

Re: router security using guest access

Click for full size
Current home network
FWIW I have a ZyXEL NBG334W wireless router with a guest wireless network. In my case I keep the guest WLAN on 24/7 protected by a long ASCII key. I use the guest WLAN for guest devices (obviously) and for internet connectivity for my Wii game console and a DIRECTV wireless cinema connection kit (CCK-W). My guest WLAN is configured for up to 16 device IP addresses.

Provided you use a sufficiently long encryption key/passphrase and WPA2/WPA I see no reason not to simply leave the guest WLAN enabled.

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

The Linksys E1500 is a cheaper router. Paid somewhere around $99. The guest account is seen via SSID as an unsecured network. However, a password is needed to access the internet. I'm assuming it's similar to an open wifi (like Starbucks) where you'd be provided a password to get on the net.

I'm wondering how secure it is when not in use. Theoretically, could someone connect to the router and do mischief w/o accessing internet with needed password?

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

said by planet:

The Linksys E1500 is a cheaper router. Paid somewhere around $99. The guest account is seen via SSID as an unsecured network. However, a password is needed to access the internet. I'm assuming it's similar to an open wifi (like Starbucks) where you'd be provided a password to get on the net.

I'm wondering how secure it is when not in use. Theoretically, could someone connect to the router and do mischief w/o accessing internet with needed password?

Have you tested that? I presume you have changed the routers admin password to something other than the default.

What happens if you use a program like inSSIDer on a wireless computer? Does the guest network showup as not being secured?

I would post to the Linksys forums for help with that question...

»Linksys

»homecommunity.cisco.com/ ··· _Routers

I would in anycase use a long password. The Cisco help page indicates you can use a max 32-character alphanumeric password...

»homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/ ··· 1461.xml

FWIW my ZyXEL cost me $20 a few years ago on sale, including an 802.11g USB adapter for a laptop, so cost is certainly not a factor...
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to planet

Premium Member

to planet
IIRC, the Linksys guest access is unsecured. In this case, unsecured means unencrypted (No WEP, WPA/WPA2 on that connection). You can force the user to enter a password, but that just grants them access to the net. Their data is still passing as clear data.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to planet

MVM

to planet
said by planet:

The Linksys E1500 is a cheaper router. Paid somewhere around $99.

I just saw an E1500 in one of our local Walmarts for $60 FWIW...