uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[E-mail] Comcast limiting size of mail lists?

I'm setting up a 37 recipient mailing list....

It's not the first I've done....

Entered the names off a paper list given me...

Decided to send a Test Email to the list....

It never sends.... The Error message I get is:

The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded: 4.1.1 ... temporary failure

I have double checked the spelling of the email addresses I've been given.... OK...

I've also sent to another, smaller sized (15) list, and that still works.....

I've posted this message on the Mozilla forum (I use Thunderbird 16.0)

Could it be that this is a Comcast error message?

Thanks for anything you can give me...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

According to the on-line FAQ, you are permitted to send a single email to up to 100 recipients. Are you sure that the SMTP server setup in your email client is using the Comcast SMTP server for that the email account that is sending the mail-list email?

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···g-email/

said by Comcast :

An email message can be sent to a maximum of 100 recipients. Any messages sent to over 100 recipients will not be delivered.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jan Janowski

My wife frequently (once a week or so) sends email to a list of over 300 recipients but she had to break the list into groups not exceeding 100 for the emails to work. As NetFixer See Profile said, up to 100 names seems to be the limit.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD
reply to Jan Janowski

Sometimes that error message is returned when the real problem is that one or more of the email addresses is a bad one.

mady
--
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

I was beginning to worry about that... So I sent the document with the email addresses to the other board members to see if they can determine if one of the addresses are bad....
I checked for spelling errors on my end (compared to this document) last night, and found one, but that didn't help, so I'll bet there is one or more typo's that I faithfully entered....

said by madylarian:

Sometimes that error message is returned when the real problem is that one or more of the email addresses is a bad one.

mady

--

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jan Janowski

So I started manually sending the emails, instead of attempting to use an email list...

Low and Behold..... There are invalid email addresses....

May I make a suggestion to Comcast to change the error message to match the symptom? Saying the Email is too large when it's an invalid email address is not only confusing, it's wrong....

Please update the error message to match the issue....

It will reduce Ill Will, too!
--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Jan Janowski:

So I started manually sending the emails, instead of attempting to use an email list...

May I make a suggestion to Comcast to change the error message to match the symptom? Saying the Email is too large when it's an invalid email address is not only confusing, it's wrong....

Since you did not post the actual entire reject message, I have no way of knowing, but are you sure that the Comcast email server was not simply relaying the reject message from the destination email server? That is typically what happens when the destination email server rejects a message and it the original message was relayed through an intermediate server (in this cast Comcast's SMTP server). Your own SMTP server (in this cast Comcast's SMTP server), would have no reason to reject a message unless it violated their TOS, or was detected by them as either being spam or infected.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

It appears to be in the first post of this thread:

"The Error Mesage I get is:

The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded: 4.1.1 ... temporary failure"

That was the ENTIRE Error message....

said by NetFixer:

said by Jan Janowski:

Since you did not post the actual entire reject message, I have no way of knowing, but are you sure that the Comcast email server was not simply relaying the reject message from the destination email server? That is typically what happens when the destination email server rejects a message and it the original message was relayed through an intermediate server (in this cast Comcast's SMTP server). Your own SMTP server (in this cast Comcast's SMTP server), would have no reason to reject a message unless it violated their TOS, or was detected by them as either being spam or infected.

--

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

Doesn't it Clearly state: "The server responded: 4.1.1 ... temporary failure"

So it's pretty obvious that the Comcast part is: "The size of the message you tare trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server"

Since the Title of the email was "Test", and the body of the email being set was: "Test, please ignore".......

We're thinking that the Comcast part is inaccurate and incorrect..

Wouldn't it be nice if the Error Message Comcast would send would match the error that actually occurred? What A Suggestion!!! !
--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Jan Janowski:

Doesn't it Clearly state: "The server responded: 4.1.1 ... temporary failure"

So it's pretty obvious that the Comcast part is: "The size of the message you tare trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server"

Since the Title of the email was "Test", and the body of the email being set was: "Test, please ignore".......

We're thinking that the Comcast part is inaccurate and incorrect..

Wouldn't it be nice if the Error Message Comcast would send would match the error that actually occurred? What A Suggestion!!! :)!

Once again, the Comcast email server is likely to only be relaying the reject message that it received from the destination email server; that is a common practice.

I just duplicated what you did by sending a test message through the Comcast residential SMTP server to both a valid att.net email address and a bogus att.net email address.

The valid email address received the test email with no problems, but the bogus email address produced a "delivery status notification" message.

Here is the entire content of that "delivery status notification" message (only the names have been changed to protect the guilty):

From - Sun Oct 21 20:08:07 2012
X-Account-Key: account12
X-UIDL: 131660.o1vJ5NVE5+NdEU7NZ8IHmLTo,aA=
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:                                                                                 
Received: from omta11.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net (LHLO
 omta11.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net) (76.96.62.36) by
 sz0151.ev.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:06:10 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from qmta06.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net ([68.87.26.138])
by omta11.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcast
id E0j11k00o2ymm843X10ydr; Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:00:58 +0000
X-CAA-SPAM: F00000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=fOGBavqe c=1 sm=1 tr=0
 a=wVM0SSDmak9072x7nTtn6Q==:117 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=rl5eUP2J6s4A:10
 a=65OPCRAxEnYA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=HZJGGiqLAAAA:8
 a=zmQBCBkf1ypQ_TlyL6EA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=HeoGohOdMD0A:10
 a=ZiOMo152p9Q5zZKhA2wA:9 a=L7IsMinmkT4U-AiK01kA:9 a=0z1U4rrxf4wA:10
 a=fecXxnoC4hcA:10 a=si9q_4b84H0A:10
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:01:15 +0000
To: myname@comcast.net
Subject: Delivery status notification
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; boundary="------------I305M09060309060P_602513508676750"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--------------I305M09060309060P_602513508676750
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 10 second(s):

* bogusname@att.net

Content-Type: message/delivery-status; charset=UTF-8;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta06.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.56]
Received-From-MTA: dns; omta10.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.28]
Arrival-Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:01:05 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; bogusname@att.net
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 551 not our customer
Last-attempt-Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:01:15 +0000

Content-Type: text/rfc822-headers; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Disposition: attachment

Received: from [IPv6:2601:5:c80:62:696d:4b8c:4acb:c26f] ([IPv6:2601:5:c80:62:696d:4b8c:4acb:c26f])
by omta10.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcast
id E10x1k00E1xafcV3W10xyW; Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:00:57 +0000
X-CAA-SPAM: 0
X-CAA-SPAM: 0
X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=WPvH6RcR c=1 sm=1 tr=0 a=yb0yPAeaNvoA:10
 a=rl5eUP2J6s4A:10 a=rITDv7nW5hcA:10 a=kj9zAlcOel0A:10 a=HZJGGiqLAAAA:8
 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=WUDwQ-Vr0BAA:10 a=wnRyGxjGAAAA:8 a=mCVSzqfuaDj7sC46Ls4A:9
 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=vK1pb1XMIckA:10 a=fecXxnoC4hcA:10 a=9y7O1oR5O6gA:10
Message-ID: <50849ACA.4070102@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:00:58 -0500
Reply-To: myname@comcast.net
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20120129 Firefox/10.0 SeaMonkey/2.7
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: my name <myname@att.net>, bogusname@att.net
Subject: Test message to att.net mailboxes
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--------------I305M09060309060P_602513508676750--

As you can see from the message content above (or perhaps you can't see it?), the reject message says nothing about temporary unavailability, or message size being over some limit. It plainly says that bogusname@att.net is not a valid email address. It says that because that is the reply that the Comcast email server got from the att.net email server. If you did not get such a reply to the invalid email addresses you used, then the reason is that the destination email server did not reply with the proper reject message; it was not because Comcast's email server simply fabricated their own reject message. Now of course, if your invalid email addresses were actually "@comcast.net" email addresses, then you may have a point about a bogus reject message from a Comcast email server (but it still would not be a bogus reject message from Comcast's outbound SMTP server).

--

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to Jan Janowski

Like I said before.... and I thought I stated this very clearly....
This was a Pop Up Error message.... That was displayed when the Email List Didn't send.... It wasn't a Delivery Status notification, because it never was completely sent!

And it contained exactly as I posted, the first, and subsequent times.... It wasn't a returned Delivery Status notification, because it never completely sent! There is no email message in my Sent Folder, because it never sent! This error message popped up before the send action was finished.... A Delivery Status Notification Occurs After you go through the actions of sending it... and then you get an answer back.... This occurred error message during the attempted send.

I stand by my complaint that Comcast should make the error reporting match the error...... It makes it easier to troubleshoot.

--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Jan Janowski:

Like I said before.... and I thought I stated this very clearly....
This was a Pop Up Error message.... That was displayed when the Email List Didn't send.... It wasn't a Delivery Status notification, because it never was completely sent!

And it contained exactly as I posted, the first, and subsequent times.... It wasn't a returned Delivery Status notification, because it never completely sent! There is no email message in my Sent Folder, because it never sent! This error message popped up before the send action was finished.... A Delivery Status Notification Occurs After you go through the actions of sending it... and then you get an answer back.... This occurred error message during the attempted send.

I stand by my complaint that Comcast should make the error reporting match the error...... It makes it easier to troubleshoot.

I do not see anywhere in your previous posts that what you saw was a popup message in your email client; had you said that I would have provided a different explanation. That explanation being that the popup messages are generated by the email client itself, and while they are derived from the handshaking done with the email servers, they are not being directly sent by the email server being used (the email client does the interpretation for the message that it displays in the popup window based on the numeric return code from the email server).

Also, in the example I provided, I did not get such a popup message when sending to an invalid att.net email address using the Comcast SMTP server. That tells me that Comcast is/was not the source of the popup message you are/were getting. The only way I was able to get a reject message (popup or otherwise) about message size was to actually send a message that was too large for Comcast's SMTP server (or the recipient's inbox) to handle.

I can understand your frustration about getting a misleading error message popup, but you are looking in the wrong place for a solution.
--