spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsears8

join:2008-02-24

P0420 Acura Integra

2001 Acura Integra is throwing P0420 code. Replaced everything that I could think of, including Cat, plugs, wires, distributor, battery, and even ran some seafoam through the intake. What else could it be? I can clear the CEL but it will come back on and I cant get an inspection sticker. Any suggestions?

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

»www.obd-codes.com/p0420

Could be the Cat or the Sensors as well. Looks like quite a few things can cause that code.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to jsears8

For me, this a vacuum hose near the gas tank which needed replaced.

jsears8

reply to jsears8

Forgot to mention I replaced the 02 sensor as well. Napsterbater, I replaced the Cat already.

Gordo74, is it on the top of tank, or can you access it from below?

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
reply to jsears8

I popped P0420 and P0430 on a regular basis after modifying my intake. Have you made any mods?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to jsears8

Any exhaust leaks?

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jsears8

If it were me, after throwing a bunch of parts at it [and a bunch of money], would take it to a mechanic and pay for Diagnostics. Probably an hour or hour and a half? Do not know where you are and hence shop rate, here it is $80-$90/hour. »repairpal.com/ puts CEL light Diagnosis at $104 to $133 in the Seattle area.

Make sure it is one that is properly tooled for your vehicle.

Why do I say this, had a 2003 Ford Focus throwing a bunch of codes out of the blue. Got the codes and there were so many possibilities, that I could have thrown hundreds of dollars in parts at it. Fix at the shop was under $200.00 [they absorbed the diagnosis charge] and I would have never have fixed it myself or even found the fault/s [yep, multiple]. I did not have the proper testing tools or knowledge.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to jsears8

said by jsears8:

Any suggestions?

Take it to an Acura dealer.

jsears8

reply to jsears8

Car is completely stock. No exhaust leaks. Im trying to avoid taking it to the dealer or shop in fear that they suggest replacing things that are not the cause, and im back in the same boat.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to jsears8

said by jsears8:

Forgot to mention I replaced the 02 sensor as well.

You know there is two sensors, right? One before the converter and one after. The DTC you have basically means that the values the computer sees when comparing the two doesn't match what it should be, based on the current operating of the system. The post-converter sensor should be porportionally less then the upstream. For instance, if the cat is shot, then the value won't vary as much as it should. Or if you have a exhaust leak it may vary too much.

said by jsears8:

Im trying to avoid taking it to the dealer or shop in fear that they suggest replacing things that are not the cause, and im back in the same boat.

Right. Because you replacing "everything that [you] could think of, including Cat, plugs, wires, distributor, battery," and O2 sensor was real cost effective at solving the problem. Any one of those repairs (plugs and wires I'll combine) probably cost as much as what the diagnostic charge will be. If you don't want to chance playing swap-a-part, just tell them you want it diagnosed but not to replace anything without your authorization. You have complete control.

And does your car even have a distributor? Maybe the carb needs cleaned out too.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to jsears8

said by jsears8:

Im trying to avoid taking it to the dealer or shop in fear that they suggest replacing things that are not the cause

It seems you've already done that. Think how much time and money you would have saved if you just took it to the dealer in the first place!

said by jsears8:

Replaced everything that I could think of, including Cat, plugs, wires, distributor, battery, and even ran some seafoam through the intake.

said by jsears8:

I replaced the 02 sensor as well.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jsears8

said by jsears8:

Car is completely stock. No exhaust leaks. Im trying to avoid taking it to the dealer or shop in fear that they suggest replacing things that are not the cause, and im back in the same boat.

How much have you spent on replacing parts so far? Take it somewhere and gamble a Diagnostic fee and only authorize that.

Do not know where to take it? Ask friends, online reviews.....

Napsterbater See Profile gave a link on the code. Have you checked that link as to causes and solutions?

jsears8

reply to cdru

Yes the car has a distributor, but thanks for your input, I wasn't aware of the rear o2 and will replace it next.

I guess I should of been more clear. I didn't replace all those parts in an effort to solve the CEL issue. I did them prior because they either failed or they were due to be changed ( The Cat and the distributor failed ). I don't mind spending money replacing things on the car, as most needed to be replaced anyway as the car approaches 150k miles.

If swapping the rear o2 does nothing then I will be taking it to the dealer.

Thanks all for the advice.

jsears8

reply to hortnut

Thanks, yes I bookmarked the link, really appreciate that.