Premium Member

to Jobbie

Re: Star Citizen - Wing Commander Creator Returns to PC Gaming

said by Jobbie:

said by TigerLord:

said by Jobbie:

Is anyone getting this one?

Yes, I did get it.

I am thinking on upgrading to this one and/or getting a hornet. Still no mail from KS to link our accounts.

Still waiting too. I shoulda pledged on RSI!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

vimeo.com/55135567

Preview and design concept behind de Freelancer.
Jobbie

Jobbie

Premium Member

I just got the email to register my Kickstarter pledge on the RSI site so now I can upgrade my set and buy more addons.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Still waiting.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Here is a good read for those that choose the 300i tier:

»cdn-rsi.s3.amazonaws.com ··· tion.pdf

It also has a little bit about the Hornet.
Jobbie

Jobbie

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· giliheP0

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to TigerLord

to TigerLord

Re: Star Citizen

what is the estimation for this going into BETA? 3-5years?

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

said by TheThing:

what is the estimation for this going into BETA? 3-5years?

11 months to mp alpha

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to Jobbie

to Jobbie

Re: Star Citizen - Wing Commander Creator Returns to PC Gaming

Video is a ripoff of BSG.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord

Re: Star Citizen

Hope we can return to this thread by end of 2013 when a playable alpha is out.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

The cards will ship out soon, so make sure you fill in the shipping info.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Oh yeah, I got the email but haven't done it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
I just upgraded to Colonel. Got me a T-shirt and the USB stick.

But most importantly, I get my brushed metal Star Citizen card!

Crazy how RSI has turned the game development into a revenue generator unto itself.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I upgraded to brushed metal too. Way cooler.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I stayed with digital only, I will upgrade to Read Admiral eventually.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Deadline for the card is TODAY feb 15 2013.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Yup, that's why I spent enough to go from the green to bronze card so I could get brushed metal.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I've sunk a ridiculous amount of money into this game, considering what I spent for others (let us forget LoL ever existed for the purpose of this discussion).

I hope it's as stellar as all the hype makes it all to be. It'd probably be a first

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
It looks great, no doubt about that. But it's so far out there, time wise. I had to hold off. I hope you guys get something good for investing this much this early when it releases, you definitely deserve it.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I've sunk a ridiculous amount of money into this game, considering what I spent for others (let us forget LoL ever existed for the purpose of this discussion).

I hope it's as stellar as all the hype makes it all to be. It'd probably be a first

My big investment was in Elite Dangerous., with a smaller one in SC. Why E: D. Well much good time was had in the original Elite with the C-64 and the possibility of fighting and exploring my way through a simulated game field the size of the milky-way, well..

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

I back E:D too but less generously (much less).
TigerLord

1 edit

TigerLord

New video:
The all-new 300 Series from ORIGIN is the manifestation of a feeling. It is the thrill of T4 engines pushing out of an atmosphere. It is exhilaration as you weave through an asteroid field. It is when flight controls become more than mechanisms, they become a part of you. We at ORIGIN design for you, not you and your ship.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 0qMRZ_1Q

This was rendered in-engine, btw.

Through another campaign RSI has now surpassed 10,000,000$ in donations.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Got my brushed metal card and Tshirt the other day. I'll try and get pics.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Imagine what this will be like with occulus rift

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Hell yes. In a gaming chair with twin joysticks (or joystick + orbweaver/nostromo) would be insane.

Kaltes
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA

Kaltes to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Nice to see they are spending all that money to make commercials which they will be using to... raise more money.

It doesn't matter if that was rendered with CryEngine 3, plenty of games have already shown off what CryEngine 3 can do. The problem is that the 'commercial' doesn't remotely show anything resembling gameplay except maybe in the non-pretty zoomed out shots.

It also hits on Chris Roberts' biggest weakness: his unfulfilled need to be a tv/movie director instead of a video game designer. He can't help himself, and it has been a big problem for him in the past. It was fine with wing commander since the FMV cutscenes were a complement to that game, but that ship has sailed. No one wants FMV for star citizen, and all this "commercial" says to me is that Chris Roberts isn't going to stop using video games as a platform to try to play director.

If you look at it on its merits, the script for this "commercial" is horribly bad. "is it simply a matter of distance covered over time?"?? /gag. Yes people hear the piano music and think "wow that looks professional!" but they forget that all Roberts did here was take common car commercial tropes and change it to a ship. It is almost like a parody... but it isn't... it's serious... and for people backing this game, that should be scary.

My personal opinion on Chris Roberts is that he isn't much of a game designer. I arrived at this opinion because I really liked the Wing Commander games and so I read about the making of those games. Turns out Chris Roberts didn't contribute to the game design or gameplay, and instead focused entirely on directing the FMV. When he actually had a chance to take it to the next level with a big budget motion picture, he bombed it hard. Then gaming moved on from Chris Roberts. Wing Commander was great for its time, but gaming moved on from that formula.

With Star Citizen, Roberts didn't promise a FMV-riddled wing commander type game, he promised an open world type game. If the game manages to come together well, it won't be because of him, it will be because he delegated important design and gameplay concepts to other people who know how to make such a game. If Roberts focuses on the single player campaign and doesn't hog the budget, the open world component, which should really be 90% of the game, might make good on his promises.

There is definitely a market need for an open world space game. I haven't played anything remotely like that since Privateer. It looks like multiple companies are going to try to pull it off, but I'm not sure if any of them can manage it, particularly since they're going the kickstarter route.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Kaltes:

It looks like multiple companies are going to try to pull it off, but I'm not sure if any of them can manage it, particularly since they're going the kickstarter route.

This comment is directed a kickstarter fears and not necessarily at Star Citizen...

Conventional investors/backers are pretty risk averse, and the likelihood of them investing in an untested waters is pretty slim. So if you can't guarantee profits at the end of the line, you won't get conventional investors.

TigerLord

Canada

1 edit

TigerLord to Kaltes

to Kaltes
said by Kaltes:

Nice to see they are spending all that money to make commercials which they will be using to... raise more money.

I take this to be sarcastic? The trailer was rendered in-engine, which means they used game assets. The time involved to capture that video and pay the voice actors is minimal. The return on the investment will be huge, you'd have to be shortsighted to NOT advertise your game as much as you could. People like nice looking things, CryEngine 3 is pure eye candy. Hell, Christ Robert is counting on people like me spending money on eye candy because we like it.
said by Kaltes:

It doesn't matter if that was rendered with CryEngine 3, plenty of games have already shown off what CryEngine 3 can do. The problem is that the 'commercial' doesn't remotely show anything resembling gameplay except maybe in the non-pretty zoomed out shots.

We already know what the gameplay will be. SC will be a Wing Commander type game, and we've seen gameplay footage as early as during the KS campaign. At this point very few backers are excited to see more gameplay, we want to see more from the world, the ships, etc.
said by Kaltes:

It also hits on Chris Roberts' biggest weakness: his unfulfilled need to be a tv/movie director instead of a video game designer.

I'm not sure how your assumption is relevant to the game being a success or not.
said by Kaltes:

My personal opinion on Chris Roberts is that he isn't much of a game designer. I arrived at this opinion because I really liked the Wing Commander games and so I read about the making of those games. Turns out Chris Roberts didn't contribute to the game design or gameplay

But he did contribute to StarLancer which was a GREAT game and so was FreeLancer.
said by Kaltes:

With Star Citizen, Roberts didn't promise a FMV-riddled wing commander type game, he promised an open world type game.

The emphasis was NEVER put on the open world and I was a backer from before the RSI website was working and up. For any space sim fans, this is about the single player campaign and reliving the emotions that come with character-driven stories like the WC series was. Most backers would have backed it up even if this game had zero MP.

This is a continuation of the WC, StarLancer, Freespace 2 line.
said by Kaltes:

There is definitely a market need for an open world space game. I haven't played anything remotely like that since Privateer.

This void will be filled by the upcoming Elite Dangerous. SC is NOT an open world game. The open world is an end-of-SP-campaign-bonus-feature for the MP and breath in longevity.

Kaltes
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA

Kaltes

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

The trailer was rendered in-engine, which means they used game assets.

I disagree. The models involved are higher in resolution than would be possible or practical in a game. Those are not "game" assets, this is a FMV/CGI movie. Even if it was rendered with Cry 3, that doesn't mean it was rendered using game assets, or under conditions that were remotely game-like. I know you can tell the difference between game assets and a cutscene...
said by TigerLord:

SC will be a Wing Commander type game

Uhh, no it won't. Squadron 42 is the single player "wing commander" campaign, but that is not the selling point and not why people got so hyped for the game. People got so excited over the other part of the game, the online multiplayer world that everyone will be spending 99% of their time in, assuming the game is good and people end up putting a lot of hours into it.
said by TigerLord:

I'm not sure how your assumption is relevant to the game being a success or not.

Because people don't care about his FMV and if he keeps spending money on it, it will siphon resources from what people really want out of the game.
said by TigerLord:

The emphasis was NEVER put on the open world and I was a backer from before the RSI website was working and up. For any space sim fans, this is about the single player campaign and reliving the emotions that come with character-driven stories like the WC series was. Most backers would have backed it up even if this game had zero MP.

I couldn't disagree more. A single player campaign is nothing new to get excited about. The game's documentation does not place emphasis on Squadron 42 at all. It even says playing Squadron 42 is optional! Let me quote from the official game design page:
said by rsi.com :

Core Concept

The core concept of Star Citizen is that it’s a destination, not a one-off story. It’s a complete universe where any number of stories can take place. Players will have the opportunity to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or soldier. It’s a universe we’ve always wanted to create. We want to build a huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want.

Squadron 42

The project also includes Squadron 42, a single player campaign that takes place within the Star Citizen universe... Once you complete your tour however, you re-enter the persistent Star Citizen universe with some money in your pocket and Citizenship to find your way.

Open World Architecture

The great thing about this is that you don’t have to do Squadron 42.

You can basically decide that you’re going to be a merchant or pirate and never join the military.

»www.robertsspaceindustri ··· project/

The actual GAME here is the open world. The single player campaign is optional, and being advertised as only one way to play the game, not as the core game, in direct contrast to your opinion. You don't speak for space sim fans or the developer, the developer's own words make it pretty clear that my interpretation of the game is the one the developer intended consumers to have.
said by TigerLord:

The open world is an end-of-SP-campaign-bonus-feature for the MP and breath in longevity.

That is certainly not what Roberts has said about the game, is it? He even went so far as to call the single player campaign a different name so that people wouldn't confuse the two.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by Kaltes:

Those are not "game" assets, this is a FMV/CGI movie.

Kotaku confirmed with RSI it was indeed rendered in-engine with in-game assets.
said by Kaltes:

Uhh, no it won't. Squadron 42 is the single player "wing commander" campaign, but that is not the selling point and not why people got so hyped for the game.

It actually is, yes. When the hype started around SC, this is what the buzz was around -- bringing back the epic campaigns like in Freespace 2. This is what the hardcore fans were chatting about on the official forums.

Squadron 42 is the name of the SP campaign because back in the WC days there were named "mission disks" that worked like expansions and CR wanted to bring back the tradition of naming individual mission disks -- the second disk is also named and will be offered to early backers for free.

This is not to say there is not great excitement about the only persistent universe, of course, but I would have spent the same amount on the game even if it had been SP only.
said by Kaltes:

Because people don't care about his FMV and if he keeps spending money on it, it will siphon resources from what people really want out of the game.

FMV was one of the promised stretch goals early on, yes some people do care about it. A further goal was to bring back a few celebrities from the original games. If only for nostalgia.
said by Kaltes:

I couldn't disagree more.

That is your right of course.
said by Kaltes:

The actual GAME here is the open world. The single player campaign is optional, and being advertised as only one way to play the game, not as the core game, in direct contrast to your opinion.

CR has said what I said verbatim during a podcat and rephrased something similar during a Reddit AMA in December 2012.
said by Kaltes:

The open world is an end-of-SP-campaign-bonus-feature for the MP and breath in longevity.

CR said it was impossible nowadays to justify a SP-only game with the tools and possibilities of MP, so it was never an option not to make an MP component, but it's not the genesis of the game.

What brought SC back to life first was the desire to bring back the WC games -- the online persistent universe was an idea developed later to broaden the appeal. It may even be the biggest interest factor for the majority of backers at this point, but early on, the majority cared for the SP more, though this was back in November and December when the hype was much lower than now.

How much did you put into the game for you to be so worried?