Search similar:

uniqs

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to El Quintron

to El Quintron

Re: Star Citizen

1982, it is considered a barter transaction.
Or 1984, transaction in securities, take your pick.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Lothario:

1982, it is considered a barter transaction.

So it's about as enforceable as a paid lunch then?

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

If the amount you make is a paid lunch they you are right.
EBay vendors in the early days found out the hard way about taxes on income...

Keep fintrac's noses out of your accounts and you should be fine.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Lothario

to Lothario
My accountant says it's to be taxed as a capital gain, which is at 16.4% if memory serves. However it will be pushed onto my 2014 tax statement since I cashed out in January. I am incorporated so I don't know if that changes anything on the taxable rate. I don't understand most of the accounting needed to keep my business in line with all the regulations, which is why I pay someone to do it for me.

But yes, it is taxable as capital gains, I had her checked with the CRA directly.

I no longer mine btw. GPU mining has been dead for months, I cashed out long ago and sold the rigs. Still made a good amount considering 1) capital I invested 2) efforts required to make that money, which beyond initial setup, was nearly zero.

I have no idea on the profitability of asic mining right now, but even with a 16% tax, GPU mining was still highly profitable last Fall.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Good for you. Except for driving up video card costs for us peasants.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
said by Lothario:

Keep fintrac's noses out of your accounts and you should be fine.

Fintrac is a mechanism to track money laundering, at the end of the day you have more to worry about from RevCan than Fintrac.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to Lothario

to Lothario
said by Lothario:

Good for you. Except for driving up video card costs for us peasants.

Prices have really re-stabilized now, same for the inventory.

But you really have Krisnatharok See Profile to blame, and me to thank. He's the one who turned me onto GPU mining. Since I know he is actually intelligent and capable of deep some level of critical thinking I knew it was worth it to listen to him and take a serious look at this fad.

Which it was, a fad, I mean. Crytocurrencies will live on for sure, but GPU mining was temporary and without him I would never have partook.

His karma will be good in the PU.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to El Quintron

to El Quintron
And tax evasion....
They are all in cahoots.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I have no idea on the profitability of asic mining right now, but even with a 16% tax, GPU mining was still highly profitable last Fall.

I would argue it's still pretty profitable if you mine lesser coins sell them for BTC, and sell the BTC when it rises midday/mid-week. That being said, GPU mining is more of a PITA than ASIC mining (which I started with) so GPU mining, even though it remains profitable, is more labour intensive, and for that reason I've stopped paying regular attention to it.

EQ

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to TigerLord

to TigerLord
My 7870 has been giving me issues since I bought it , was looking at upgrading as they are including the game with it but refuse to pay $500 for a GPU.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
said by Lothario:

And tax evasion....
They are all in cahoots.

Revenue Canada has enough power to deal with strict tax evasion, Fintrac is specifically for money laundering which is more of a terrorism and organized crime issue per se.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
a 280X is about $350, and it completely trounces your 7870

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Revenu Quebec is even worse than the CRA and is really to be feared. Once they got their scent on you, you're fucking toast. A few years ago a couple employees came out as whisteblowers to tell the stories on how agents actually have quotas and they'll do anything, even create issues that do not exist, to justify collecting whatever amount they need to collect.

An acquaintance of mine is black (so he's already halfway fucked) and works in construction and real estate. He was once hit by an audit on the professional side, then the year after personal side, and since then, they audit every two years. On top of a 18K penalty. Some of it was justified, some wasn't, the acquaintance certainly wasn't all clean from what I gathered, but RQ played really dirty with him, I was appalled.

My ex's father was hit with an audit, everything was clean, but they made up a rule to justify a 10k penalty (concerning GST collection). It turns out a notary confirmed RQ was in the wrong because prior to 1992 or something, the particular infraction would not apply. However, the cost of fighting RQ (on top of all their harassment) made it so disadvantageous and time consuming that they simply paid the 10k.

Revenu Quebec is ran like the mafia, plain and simple. I don't know how much worse or better the CRA is, but my accountant is paid a handsome amount yearly to ensure they are kept happy so I can be happy too.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Thought the 280's are just rebranded 7870.
Lothario

Lothario to TigerLord

to TigerLord
The perks of living in la belle Provence.....
Lothario

Lothario to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Deposit 10k in cash in your account. Fintrac will investigate before CRA does. If they flag it as suspicious but not not criminal proceeds then it gets sent to CRA.
I went to buy a car and needed a certified cheque and had to answer 50 questions to the teller.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Lothario:

Deposit 10k in cash in your account. Fintrac will investigate before CRA does.

That's because 10K is an automatic flag for reportable transactions.

A bit of background:

10K: Automatic report
5k: Flag for future reporting in case of multiple similar transactions
3k: bank keeps records, similar to the 5k mark but lower priority.

Also every single employee of every single bank is required to take training on these flags, and related materials every year, so anyone who works for a bank, a mutual fund processor, lender knows these numbers and what to do with them.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Lothario

Premium Member

to Lothario
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM ··· _R9_280X
said by Wikipeida :
Radeon R9 280X

Radeon R9 280X was announced on September 25, 2013. With a launch price of $299, it is based on the Tahiti XTL chip, being a slightly upgraded, rebranded Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. Radeon R9 280 was announced on March 4, 2014. With a launch MSRP set at $275, it is based on a rebranded Radeon HD 7950 with an increased clock speed, from 925Mhz to 938Mhz

Like I said; it'll trounce your 7870.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

Lothario

No wish to ever buy sapphire again, would asus be the best bet?,
no stock at my local CC.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I had to trade my Asus back for an MSI I've had decent luck with them, But they are expensive.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Evga seems to be solid, I'm heading to "archivis amishland" in Nov so will wait to get one there.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Lothario:

Evga seems to be solid

EVGA is totally solid, I use them for all of my Nvidia cards.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

EVGA is the best.
TigerLord

TigerLord

Arena Commander 0.9 is out today!

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

And two new ships for you to buy.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

Already had them!
TigerLord

2 edits

1 recommendation

TigerLord

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· sjUHj_II

"I keep trying to push the limits, but I can't find the limits!"

"Origin, you hear me? Apology accepted!"

roflmao this is good stuff. Looks glorious in 4K.

They also released the new hangars, there are four now, and they've been renamed. If you have more than one ship or package, you may have access to more than one hangar, so you can select which one should be active in game through MY RSI then MY HANGAR on the website.

The Asteroid hangar is pretty spectacular. Comes with the Starfarer, Retaliator, Merchantman and Caterpillar, or can be bought for $50 (ouch).

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

This project, regardless of the outcome, has been one of the most interesting post in this thread.

I feel I am adequately informed to hold a discussion on Canadian tax laws now. Thanks, northerners!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Love the Top Gear parody. That's awesome.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to Savious

to Savious
We can discuss FATCA next if you'd like.