how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

Ex-WB/Exede12 user's first impressions with Hughesnet Gen4

Real VNC 5.01 seems to hang after making a connection.

In the process of checking out GotoMyPC.com.

MagicJack USB works after downloading an upgrade.

Speed seems a bit low for the PowerMax level. I've not seen 15Mbps down yet. Barely getting 9Mbps right now.

I like the pie graph usage meter built into the modem as opposed to Exede's useless information of just showing connection stats.

Not sure if someone has answered this, but the modem only seems to record download allowance and I see no upload stats. Do they count download and uploads as data usage as WB/Exede?

Surely a software upgrade to the modem will give upload stats along with a Bonus Bytes meter as well. I hated having to use a 3rd party meter that kept logging into WB/Exede usage page.

Would definitely be nice to see a LNFZ on Hughesnet Gen4. I don't know what genius came up with `Bonus Bytes', but it doesn't sound much like a bonus if you are having to pay for it. I'd rather just have the full 40GB for anytime usage and a LNFZ thrown in for the same price.

Not sure what the business packages will be like. WB/Exede can't seem to figure out what they will be doing as for business packages go. They're more interested in delivering WiFi for airlines, etc.

At least I'm not paying $150 a month for 25GB and having my usage being eaten up by a faulty LNFZ. Funny all I had to do was make some empty threats towards ViaSat on their communist ran forum site and they released me from my contract with no termination fee or last month's service charge. I guess they don't like subscribers that know they are getting screwed over and get verbal about it.

-Texas-Rebel-

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Upload usage is supposed be counted on Gen4.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX
reply to TexasRebel

is anyone else seeing wild speed variations? I've seen 6Mbps on the upload and 8Mbps on the download.

I'm practically in the middle of beam 44 according to SatBeams.com.

Signal is great! Just the speeds aren't there yet.

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY
reply to TexasRebel

They probably noticed most customers are reporting issues with speeds suddenly and are going to fix it soon I am sure.

Wireless networks also seem to have a few issues for some reason when it comes to getting the maximum throughput offered, not sure if that's a Gen4 issue or LAN issue honestly...

Lurker

@direcpc.com

Can you tell me how your latency is on the Gen4?

How is it doing on SSL (») sites? VPN?

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to TexasRebel

said by TexasRebel:

Just the speeds aren't there yet.

Most ISPs tend to incrementally up their big pipe speed, since the big pipe cost real money.

Hughes past behavior has always been to save pennies, at customers' expense.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to TexasRebel

said by TexasRebel:

is anyone else seeing wild speed variations? I've seen 6Mbps on the upload and 8Mbps on the download.

I've only been using Gen 4 for two days. My speeds have been fairly consistent so far. I'm getting around 10 Mbps down and .8 Mbps up (with more variability in the upload speed).

What are you using to measure your speeds? With testmy.net and speedtest.net, I've never gotten an upload speed much faster than .8 Mbps. Using HughesNet's Java based speed test, I usually get the 1 Mbps upload advertised on my "Power Plus" plan.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

if you have an iPhone or an iPad, get the free Speedtest.net App from the App center. Run it and see what you get. Since neither device supports Adobe Flash, that cuts out any problems you might see from Speedtest.net using a PC.

I consistently saw 18-20Mbps down with the app when I had Exede12 and 3-4.5Mbps up.

I think it has something to do with how Hughesnet has their web acceleration servers setup, unless they don't have the available bandwidth in place at the gateways...

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX
reply to james1979

if you have an iPhone or an iPad, get the free Speedtest.net App from the App center. Run it and see what you get. Since neither device supports Adobe Flash, that cuts out any problems you might see from Speedtest.net using a PC.

I consistently saw 18-20Mbps down with the app when I had Exede12 and 3-4.5Mbps up.

I think it has something to do with how Hughesnet has their web acceleration servers setup, unless they don't have the available bandwidth in place at the gateways...

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to C0RR0SIVE

>>They probably noticed most customers are reporting issues with speeds suddenly and are going to fix it soon I am sure.

Surely you're joking, right?

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to TexasRebel

HughesNet and I are at another crossing in the road. Their last attempt to fix my Hughesnet problem failed (I told them it would) because the only problem is them not opening up some bandwidth. How much more proof do they need?
So, before contacting corporate again to follow up on Friday's on-site visit, I came here to see what the initial thoughts are on Gen4. Not looking too good yet.
TexasRebel...I'm just nine miles east of you

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

Good to meet ya! So far Gen4 is fast, but I've ran into some glitches. I want a public IP like I had with ViaSat/Exede and I want the advertised 15Mbps on the downside. I think they are purposely holding back on bandwidth. Only 14 days since they went live and I would figure everyone would get way over their advertised speeds.. There's no way they have reach capacity on any beams..

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

said by TexasRebel:

Good to meet ya! So far Gen4 is fast, but I've ran into some glitches. I want a public IP like I had with ViaSat/Exede and I want the advertised 15Mbps on the downside. I think they are purposely holding back on bandwidth. Only 14 days since they went live and I would figure everyone would get way over their advertised speeds.. There's no way they have reach capacity on any beams..

I have not seen you mention this yet, but how is the latency on Gen4 compared to Exede12? About the same?

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

latency is pretty much the same.. 600-800ms. speed isn't there yet with actually seeing a consistent 15Mbps down. Barely get 9Mbps whenever I test. $117 including tax for the PowerMax package and with the constant meter resetting everyday, it's allowed me to download alot of things I've been wanting without worrying about using up my allowance. Hopefully, it takes them months to fix the meter resetting.. ;-p

hitec

@direcway.com
reply to monicakm

Just received Gen4 Powermax yesterday. ..using the speed testing that they have at my.hughesnet.com shows the following:

Date Time Upload Download
10/23/2012 12:15 8346 1284
10/22/2012 19:07 5549 1501
10/22/2012 19:07 8049 1483
10/22/2012 15:38 6442 80
10/22/2012 14:55 8287 1183
10/22/2012 14:54 8222 1171
10/22/2012 14:42 8427 55
10/22/2012 14:38 8202 1126
10/22/2012 14:38 4301 1111
10/22/2012 14:36 8369 1323
10/22/2012 14:35 8425 993

Average 7510.818182 1028.181818

As you see, it is less then half of the 15Mbps that is advertised.
I would have been satisfied if it was at least 75 or 80 percent most of the time. Anyway the person I spoke with initially at Hughes customer support had to escalate the matter and provide me with a case number.

Hitec

@direcway.com
reply to silbaco

..with PowerMax I have the following:

Terminal - Gateway Connectivity Test
Tue Oct 23 17:09:33 2012
Packet Loss: 0.00%
Average Delay: 675.75 ms
Minimum Delay: 639.73 ms
Maximum Delay: 738.23 ms