spc
Search similar:

uniqs
catbrat909
join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

Questions about Cincinnati Bell FTTN Fioptics Service

I wanted to know what are the limitations of Cincinnati Bells Fiber to the node are. I would need two HD DVR's and three HD Boxs and wanted to know if Fiber to the node could handle it or am I better of staying with satellite TV. Cincinnati Bell just installed fiber to the node in the Village of Fairfax October 9 at 8:30 in the morning. My zoomtown modem is now maxed out.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

CB are now offering their Whole Home DVR service on FTTN which allows receivers within the home to all use the same DVR.

Each HD channel needs approximately 6 Mbps download and each SD channel is approximately 3 Mbps. 5 HD channels would need approximately 30 Mbps download, plus you might want some download bandwidth left for internet access. If you are fairly close to the node you may be able to get the line trained at 50 Mbps download. The address checker can give some idea of what to expect based on whether it offers you the 10, 20 or 30 Mbps download internet service.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

Thanks for responding I know AT&T U verse has a limit where you can have only one dvr. Does Cincinnati bell have the same limit or can I use two HD DVRS. The reason I need two is because I record a lot of content I have used both dvrs to record programming.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

I think that the web site offers only 0 or 1 DVRs now - though I don't see any technical reason why multiple DVRs would not work if you could get CB to supply them. They are probably thinking that with the whole home DVR service there is no need to have multiple DVRs (for the average customer).

Do you know how far you are from the node?
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

I would say around 500 feet away from the node.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

At 500' there should be no problem getting 50 Mbps download on the line. CB only offers 30 Mbps internet but IPTV can access all 50 Mbps.

Some pros and cons as regards DirecTV:

DirecTV menus & DVR more polished - ZTE STBs are improving but need to improve more... Software glitches are still evident!

No rain wipe out on Fioptics - some minor disturbance during lightning.

Fioptics install techs are fairly good but offshore customer service really sucks.

Fioptics can be all IP within the home. Can use ethernet or coax depending on installation. Tends to be less cable intensive installation than DirecTV.
CVGNet

CVGNet to catbrat909

to catbrat909
One more comment..........

Given your distance from the node I think the line speed should be fin even for 5 HD streams. The receiver software is now tolerable even if not as intuitive as DirectTV's systems. That leaves the DVR............

If ZTE have actually got the DVR firmware to the point where it can record multiple HD streams, replay multiple HD streams and provide local viewing all at the one time then that would be great - but I have not tried the whole house DVR service and on their standard DVR firmware glitches on replay and recordings are still evident.

If you decide to try it please do report back and let us know how the system does!
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

They just installed fiber to the node in my area. Just waiting for Cincinnati Bell to green light the Fioptics service. The person on the phone said it could be up to five to six days and I should see a sales person on the street.

CincyBell
@cinbell.com

CincyBell to catbrat909

Anon

to catbrat909
Hi catbrat90,

My name is Katie and I work for Cincinnati Bell. We're happy to answer your questions if you email us your account # and a convenient contact # to cincinnati.bell@fuse.net

Thanks!

Katie
Cincinnati Bell
Social Media Team
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

Installation Appointment Set

My address now show's Fioptics 10 MB internet available only with traditional service's. I went ahead and placed the order on www.cincinnatibell.com website. The install is for tomorrow between 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM. I will let you know if the installer shows up and if he does how the installation and the service is working
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

2 edits

CVGNet

If the web site is only offering 10 Mbps internet service than that service is not coming from a node 500' away.

Can you describe or post a picture of the "node" that you mentioned earlier? Maybe it isn't fully operational yet.
Expand your moderator at work
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909 to CVGNet

to CVGNet

Re: Installation Appointment Set

I will try to get a picture later. The box is tan with a power meter on it and it is next to the old telephone cabinet.

Rob_L
@fuse.net

Rob_L to catbrat909

Anon

to catbrat909

Re: Questions about Cincinnati Bell FTTN Fioptics Service

Same here, we just got hooked up in Delhi. So far things are up and running well on my new install.

»www.fiopticsforum.com
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to catbrat909

to catbrat909

Re: Installation Appointment Set

That certainly sounds like one of the cabinets with Calix gear in it. It probably isn't commissioned yet so keep checking your address on the web site.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

No Tech showed and no order was in the system for the upgrade. The sales department went ahead and placed the order. They said that no tech was needed and my modem was compatible and that it needed provisioned for the 10MB service. Had to have a service appointment because my speed test are still inconsistent and jumping around when doing the speedtest at highspeed.zoomtown.com or at speedtest.net. I am having high ping times and losing packets tech is scheduled to come out tomorrow morning I hope they find the problem and fix it.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

OK - this just sounds like a speed boost on DSL. When you get the "Fioptics" branded VDSL service it will involve a new modem.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

What is speed boost on DSL????????? I wonder when they are going to activate the new FTTN service that they installed
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

The 10 Mbps service that you are waiting for just now is probably able to use the same modem because it is using ADSL2. The Fioptics branded FTTN services use VDSL and needs a VDSL capable modem.

The new FTTN node will probably be commissioned within 4-6 weeks of the power meter appearing - maybe faster if you are lucky!
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

Cancelled Service

The tech that came out tried to tell me losing packets when running a ping test was normal and that my speeds jumping around when testing at highspeed.zoomtown.com and or at speedtest.net was normal. That is not normal for me to lose packets or for my speed to jump around. They said they could try to switch me out to a different part of the node. Before he could do that he would need to call his supervisor and that he would call me back within an hour no call back. I called Cincinnati Bell support they looked up the ticket it was marked fixed and completed the tech lied. He had no intention of comming back to fix the problem. Then the person at the call center would do nothing but notate the account and to notate for someone to call me. As I expected no call back. I called Time Warner Cable they got me a cheaper package with all three of their services. At least their call centers are in america and you have recourse for any problems. Cincinnati Bell their is no recourse because their is no tech call centers in america all in philippines. Beware do not do any Bussiness with Cincinnati Bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

I'm curious why you chose to switch to CBT from TWC, because judging by your review of TWC (this one: »Review of old twc by catbrat909 ) you were satisfied with their service. Did you move? If so why didn't you just use their services again? Why did you opt for slower, problem-prone DSL instead of cable in that situation? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Now you flip-flopped again.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to catbrat909

to catbrat909
I doubt that the 10 Mbps service was via the new FTTN node. If you keep checking your address online you will see true FTTN offerings appear within a few weeks. If the node is 500' from you the service offerings should include 30/5 internet service.

The TWC service is fairly good even though they still have a lot of older infrastructure in the Cincinnati area. One disadvantage of TWC is that they are so dependent on line power. Cincinnati Bell's service does tend to do a better job of riding out storms!
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

I agree that Cincinnati Bell service will work during a power outage. But What good are their service's when they do not stand behind them. They no longer have tech support in the united states I found out when calling. According to the tech and network engineer it is normal to lose packets in a ping test and for speed tests to be erratic including speed tests on their own server. I have lost packets on google.com , zoomtown.com , and yahoo.com intermittently. More pron-ed to happen when two devices are in use. Then when I told them that they responded back that you are overloading their modem. What a joke two computers overload Cincinnati Bells wireless internet modem. Please that was an obvious lie. I know you can overload a modem but two computers one on wireless one plugged in through ethernet is not going to overload a modem.
catbrat909

1 edit

catbrat909 to DeathK

to DeathK

Re: Cancelled Service

Yes I did switch to Cincinnati Bell because of an offer I received in the mail that was cheaper. I did not experience any packet loss or inconsistent download speed until they installed and switched me over to the new FTTN Cabinet. The Cincinnati Bell Tech's that came to my house confirmed that I am on FTTN. I did not start having these problems until they changed the lines into the FTTN Cabinet. Cincinnati Bells acting like losing packets and my download speed going all over the place is normal that is why I am switching back. I also found out no more tech support in United States I was not aware of that when I signed up for them either. I found this out when I had to call in for support. At least Time Warner Cable was able to get me new customer pricing
catbrat909

catbrat909

Death K I do not appreciate being called a flip flopper that is totally uncalled for. Cincinnati Bell is what cause all the confusion by mapping everything under the Fioptics Brand not me I was even lied to by Cincinnati Bell might I add. When I run my address it show fioptics 10mb service available only. When I saw that I placed the upgrade order online and it scheduled a tech to come out to install service. I called to confirm the appointment to find out that the online system did not show where I had placed the order and the sales center placed the order and informed me that my westell 7500 modem was compatible and my speeds would be activated the next day. I am having problems ever since they upgraged the cabinet in the village of fairfax. Tech that came out acted like that was normal including their network engineer. They have not fixed the problem and saying that it is normal.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to catbrat909

to catbrat909

Re: Cancelled Service

If the node is 500 feet from you then if it was fully provisioned for FTTN the web site would have offered you 30/5 service and Fioptics TV. Try checking your address over the next few weeks and you will see what I mean.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

I would like to thank you for your help CelticComms. But I think I am just going back to Time Warner. My internet is still having problems and their support overseas is no help and their techs that they sent out were trying to act like it was normal to lose packets and speeds are inconsistent Thanks again.

fioptics1
@cinbell.com

fioptics1

Anon

Hello, I work with Cincinnati Bell and might be able to help.

Can you give me specifically how you are running the tests?

Are you using wireless or are you hardwired (ethernet) when you run your tests? Do you notice a difference between the two?

What specific tools are you using to gauge your performance?

It stated you are using a Westell 7500. It appears you do not have our IPTV product. What internet speed package do you have? Hopefully we can figure out what is going on and get the service to a more stable scenario.
catbrat909
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909

I am with Time Warner Cable now. Already had tech out to my house, said that was normal. When it is not. Thanks for the response.