spc
Search similar:

uniqs
daeron
join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

daeron to Guru

to Guru

Re: [new forum] Forum Request: Start Communications!

So are any of the mods going to respond to this one way or another?
rik555
join:2012-02-16
Windsor, ON

rik555 to Guru

to Guru
Of course, I AGREE ! ,
..., as in, "S" for "Start ...", right before "T" -for Teksavvy.
"Start Communications", their Paying CDN-Consumers' sake, deserves/needs that, at the very least.

(but "acanac" ? - NO! - )

ssherwood
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON

ssherwood to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
Please open a new "official" vs "cover" forum for Start.
minoe
join:2003-11-11
St George Brant, ON

minoe to Guru

to Guru
+1
rascal47
Premium Member
join:2013-01-11
Trenton, ON

rascal47 to Guru

Premium Member

to Guru
Let's get this added!!!
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

+1, voting as I didn't really vote

Tedsky
join:2009-05-01
Welland, ON

Tedsky

Ahem ...

Thanks to Guru ...
User (Guru) to Mods was here ...
2012-10-10 20:51:39
and that the lastest post (again Guru) was here ...
2013-03-06 23:31:21

Perhaps Mods may still be on DUN and could use START

Oh yes ...
ADD ME TO THE GROWING LIST

Ted
(in Niagara)

Irenic
join:2000-05-02
Ottawa, ON

Irenic to Guru

to Guru
+1

The userbase is growing and the Start staff are very active here. They should get their own forum (like Teksavvy et al).
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to Guru

to Guru
Agreed

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Once again, please give Start its own forum.
Crashrun2003
join:2013-02-10

Crashrun2003 to Guru

to Guru
+1 vote from me.
Hench
join:2013-03-07
Halton Hills

Hench to Guru

to Guru
I signed up to broadband reports specifically to read about Start! Please give that company a regular forum spot!@

Le eh
@videotron.ca

Le eh to Crashrun2003

Anon

to Crashrun2003
As was seen, the start forum went to low activity before the CRTC update. It petered out.

With the CRTC update and price changes all forums became a little busier to see what was going on in policy, bandwidth, usage based billing, unlimited, and pricing.

Ebox would likely have more traffic than start if given it's own forum mainly due to the DSL jumpers from teksavvy across both Ontario and Quebec.

Start is geographically limited with their Cogeco cable offering (which is their traffic maker), and limited to parts of Ontario.

So who provides the biggest bang for the forum buck? In both cases, in my opinion, neither. Just another reseller. Each have their own advantages.

Also, as Rocca mentioned in the Start forum, in "Hey Mods" topic, he seems to have got people to stop flooding the CDN broadband forum with garbage to make it appear like true and honest topics (which it wasn't and was obvious when people started creating topics and stating they were doing it to spam the forum) and he stated, "We've behaved by not flooding the main forum".

At least there is an admission of guilt here to playing people (that is, the powers that be) at the expense of spamming the CDN broadband forum for no reason other than making Start appear to be something they aren't. +1 for honesty.

Why not just let it go till fall? If traffic increases (and there really isn't much) after a few months, then they'll be deserving of a forum, and their current forum will reflect this. Just like Ebox was told, just like Acanac was told.

Obviously no one can blame the owner of Start for wanting to profit off of the tiny bit of momentum with the price changes. Shouldn't Ebox and Acanac be afford the same thing though? Neither of those two other companies saw the need to get other forums spammed to pretend they were something they were not. Or getting people to create BS topics on anything at all.

That's how I see it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I've said several times, I don't understand why Acanac and Ebox (and anyone else who provides a regular presence in DSLR) can't get their adhoc forums promoted to regular forums. What's the reason for not doing so when you have hundreds of members asking for it? Is 60+ new topics in a month in our adhoc forum not considered 'busy' enough when Canadian Broadband itself is barely 150? Sadly the adhoc forums are lacking in capabilities - no search, no hot topics, no stickies and just generally difficult to find.

Le eh
@videotron.ca

Le eh

Anon

hundreds asking for it? A small few participating to the point days went by w/o a post or just one post to an already established topic. Not to mention the BS topics just to make it look like topics are created to keep momentum going (or manipulate people to make it seem like there is a momentum).

Then there was the person spamming your website URL (start.ca) by creating multiple topics one after the other w/ your URL as the titles in CDN-broadband. Why? No reason. Just to spam for Start. Then pretended he didn't know where the start forum was even though he was already posting there. Others were the same.

With the dishonesty exhibited there, the spamming, and the mouthing off by the people spamming pretending it was all legit, then trying to use that to show how many topics people create, it wouldn't surprise me if 70% of the nicks here (out of the "hundreds") are BS and the same person.

We certainly didn't see Ebox or Acanac try to manipulate people or game people for a dollar. Or use young people to spam so they can try to make a sale for that matter.

You want it and you want it now.

Ebox should have it before anyone. They followed what was said. Didn't try to manipulate people. Didn't create BS topics. And didn't use young vulnerable people for their own gain via spamming forums. Nor did they have to declare they stopped spamming as you did.

I see no merit in awarding Start a forum at this point in time all due to this. And that is my belief on it. Award spam and manipulation? If they merit it then time will tell. Or they will peter out again within 2 months.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 edit

rocca

Premium Member

You sure do have an axe to grind don't you? I don't even know where to start.

Yes, hundreds - the member request has 60 posts a page, 8 pages, yes some dupes and I haven't gone through and counted uniqueness, but I have to suspect hundreds is not inaccurate.

I've only been around here 5 years so maybe I've missed one, but also perhaps the subject of the longest thread in CDN history - there certainly aren't a lot of other 86 page threads that are active.

Our adhoc forum alone has 60+ threads in the past month and similar traffic for several months prior, compared to CDN which encompasses a bazillionty times more topics only has about triple the volume.

I don't know who you're referencing as spamming our website URL (I haven't noticed anyone with our url, only links to the adhoc forum) and then you make all sorts of near-direct accusations about me manipulating people to spam for us and being dishonest. Please, back that up with a single post where I recommended anyone post in the main forum or where I've posted a single dishonest thing, ever.

While we're being honest, why don't you explain why it matters to you _at all_ if another ISP, any ISP, gets their adhoc forum upgraded so it has search capabilities within it? How does this ruin your day? Why are you even in the independent forums? Or will you continue to hide behind your anonymous tag, changing your smug nic and taking cheap shots as someone completely non-involved in the matter?

The fact is that our forum is busy and I get regular emails, posts and IM's from DSLR membership asking why they can't find or search the forum. If mods don't want to promote it, that's their prerogative and to me it's irrelevant as I'll answer questions wherever they are, but why it matters to you is beyond me.

Agenda? Definitely, but not from this end.

edit: only 20 posts a page, the 60 I had recalled is the forum index.
rocca

rocca

Premium Member

Crap, I just got trolled didn't I.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yup. You did
Guru
join:2008-10-01

1 edit

Guru

Also the annoymous user uses words like "manupulate" "spam" which is higly suspectable because in reality he's trying to manupulate not other members.

For once come out from hiding and show your real username, i will stop replying to you and ignore you completely. Not just me but almost everyone is curious to know who you really are behind the annoymous user and what possibly do you have anything to loose.

You are completely trolling, its sad.
Guru

Guru

In addition, its amusing to see that his anonymous post gets approved almost instant. Hmm

Le eh
@videotron.ca

Le eh to rocca

Anon

to rocca
said by rocca:

Crap, I just got trolled didn't I.

No. I'm being honest with what I saw. I'm not trolling you. Not trying to do anything because because of some strange ulterior motive. Take it or leave it.

Though I may be the only one vocal about it, i'm sure others saw it as well.

That aside...

In regards to the idea of putting all the active ad-hoc's on the Canadian Forums page:

I can only see this work if they set up a forum with tabs, just like they do in the security forum. See: »Security

The tabs can be sorted alphabetically so there's no infighting.

Call it Canadian Alternatives or Wholesale. In that forum you have the tabs for only the active players. Start, Ebox, Acanac. Which I *think* are the only active ones (on a constant basis).

That would then give you your "search" function and whatever else.

With 3 of the resellers together in one spot, that might give the volume that lacks on an individual basis. Or when one peters out. Makes it fair for everyone. And as a whole it represents a larger geography and population.

Then if ever someone else starts spamming and yelling for a forum, the powers that be can just say wait 6 months, if the volume and quality of posts and/or topics continue, then we will dump you in that.

But no clue if that is worth doing. Basically it just shuts up the whiners who want special rules for themselves to make a dollar, and addresses the bickering of no search function.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Le eh :

I can only see this work if they set up a forum with tabs, just like they do in the security forum. See: »Security

The tabs can be sorted alphabetically so there's no infighting.

Call it Canadian Alternatives or Wholesale. In that forum you have the tabs for only the active players. Start, Ebox, Acanac. Which I *think* are the only active ones (on a constant basis).

Good idea, I think that'd be a very elegant solution.
Expand your moderator at work

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to Guru

Mod

to Guru

Re: [new forum] Forum Request: Start Communications!

*Sign*
Balin
join:2013-04-24

Balin to Guru

to Guru
Signed
lbonnell
join:2013-02-21

lbonnell

i agree! / signed

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace