spc
uniqs
brodgers
join:2006-03-20
Gillett, WI

brodgers to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey

Re: Honeywell WiFi Thermostat-User reviews

That thermostat appears very similar to the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 series. I manage 6 of them at the office and installed/programmed 8 of them at our church.

You can control the fan mode via the programming. When setting the program, you can set the fan mode in either On or Auto for each program period. To make the fan follow the scheduled programming, set the fan mode to Auto on the home screen. When the program calls for the fan to be on, the screen will display On and Auto for the fan and Auto when the fan is not set to continuous by the programming.

If it matters that much to you to program when stage 2 fires, Robertshaw thermostats allow you set the stage 1 and stage 2 differentials. The Robertshaw logic is based on temperature.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by brodgers:

That thermostat appears very similar to the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 series. ...

You can control the fan mode via the programming. When setting the program, you can set the fan mode in either On or Auto for each program period. ...

Thanks. I took a look at the Vision Pro 8000 and the screen sure looks familiar.

However I don't get the impression their fan capabilities are the same. Reading the manual, I see that the 8000 has a specific note regarding fan programming: "Note: Press FAN to customize fan settings for any time period (see page 7)." And on page 7 more explanation.
»customer.honeywell.com/r ··· 4EFS.pdf

On the other hand the WiFi stat has no such notes on comparable page 38.

I'll try to contact Honeywell again to see what they say.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

It is full 7 day programmable with 4 periods?

My 8000 series currently is programmed with wake, leave, return, sleep.

As far as fan goes, we run it in "on" mode 24/7x365.

I have 2 stage heat, 1 stage cool and also a 24v common so I can have the screen on all the time. Looks like the wifi version would be a simple swap. Money's a little tight now and I just got the vision pro last year. It would depend on how much I could sell this one for and how much the wifi version is.

I know some people may say if you're spending that much, why not just get a Nest. Well I don't like how the Nest thinks for you. I'd rather program it on a schedule, but have the ability to override it remotely on an iphone or web browser.
brodgers
Gillett, WI

brodgers to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey
Re-read page 7 again. Below the diagram of the thermostat, the following note appears:

"Note: If a fan schedule is programmed, “Auto” will run the fan schedule."

Hence you can run the fan via a programmed schedule.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream

Well I don't like how the Nest thinks for you. I'd rather program it on a schedule, but have the ability to override it remotely on an iphone or web browser.

The Nest's self programming feature is easily disabled with one setting change. You can input your own schedule online (and, of course, over-ride it). And yes, you can turn the Fan on 24x7 if you want.

I like the Nest, but I can't think of anyone I know who'd actually like the self-programming feature. Most people I know would curse at their thermostat if was doing things that they didn't specifically request it to do.

-- Rob

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by djrobx:

Most people I know would curse at their thermostat if was doing things that they didn't specifically request it to do.

Yeah, that's how I feel about proprietary algorithms for anticipator and multi-stage operation.

Regarding the fan programming, I had a chat this morning and yes, it does appear that this allows fan scheduling. Why I have so much trouble interpreting their manual language, I have no idea.

But it's got no provision for a wired outdoor temperature sensor.
brodgers
Gillett, WI

brodgers

Yes, it appears that they dropped support for remote sensors on the WiFi models. The non-WiFi models of the VP8000 series support remote sensors.

When I installed the VP8000's at church, I had an email conversation with Honeywell regarding outdoor remote sensors. They confirmed that the outdoor sensor is used to display the outdoor temp on the t-stat and used with heat pump lockout. The Adaptive Intelligent Recovery feature (which calculates how early to ramp up or ramp down the t-stat to meet the temp setting at the specified time) does not use the outdoor sensor. Personally that would have been a great use for the outdoor sensor but I guess the thermostat engineers didn't think so. So in reality unless you have a heat pump, you don't loose much by not having an outdoor sensor.

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by brodgers:

Yes, it appears that they dropped support for remote sensors on the WiFi models.
So in reality unless you have a heat pump, you don't loose much by not having an outdoor sensor.

I did a little more checking and found the TH8320WF1029, not available retail, which appears to use the C7089 OT sensor.

I wondered too, why they didn't incorporate the OT sensor in the AIR system. I guess they figured the rate of decrease or rise inside, more or less a derivative of the outdoor temp, was good enough.

We have no heat pump, but use the "i" button on our Chronotherm 4 stats to check the outdoor temp many times each day. It is the thing I miss most with not having a Honeywell stat in the bedroom hallway.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to brodgers

MVM

to brodgers
If it has wifi, surely it could get the outdoor temperature over the Internet, provided you gave it your zip code? Nest does this.

Or perhaps future wifi temperature sensors in the works?
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to djrobx

to djrobx

said by djrobx See Profile
I like the Nest, but I can't think of anyone I know who'd actually like the self-programming feature. Most people I know would curse at their thermostat if was doing things that they didn't specifically request it to do.

Now you do as I'd LOVE it. Schedules change and I'd love for the thermostat to figure it all out. If I stay up late watching TV it would be awesome to not have to fiddle with the thermostat. Likewise when I work from home it would be great to not have to fiddle with it.

I have auto temp control in my car and love it too. Set it at 70 in the w
Summer and 72 in the winter. It does what it needs to do to keep me comfortable.

That's what technology is for - make our lives easier. At the price, the Nest is a little too expensive for us so I will fiddle with it. But I love the hands off concept!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by itguy05:

I have auto temp control in my car and love it too. Set it at 70 in the w
Summer and 72 in the winter. It does what it needs to do to keep me comfortable.

That's what technology is for - make our lives easier.

I agree 100 percent. Cool in summer, warm in winter. Car 75 in winter 72 in summer. Same as our house. Both controls do what needs to be done to maintain those temps. Never varies. We found our comfort zone and that's the set points.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to ArgMeMatey

Premium Member

to ArgMeMatey
I found a link to the install manual for the Thermostat TH8320WF1029 at »s3.pexsupply.com/manuals ··· FILE.pdf Looking at the install manual it appears that the WiFi is a Zwave and there is no hardwired Outdoor Thermostat terminals or any mention of the OAT in the programming manual. Bummer.. could have been a really nice T/S for my heat pump. What was Honeywell thinking?????

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

You either have z-wave or their online service. So without a z-wave controller like Vera, you won't be able to manage it over the local network only. That was a big turnoff for me.

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

ArgMeMatey to pende_tim

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

I found a link to the install manual for the Thermostat TH8320WF1029 at »s3.pexsupply.com/manuals ··· FILE.pdf Looking at the install manual it appears that the WiFi is a Zwave and there is no hardwired Outdoor Thermostat terminals or any mention of the OAT in the programming manual.

I suspect they mistakenly posted the zwave installation manual (76187) as a generic. That unit is the TH8320u1008.

The "data sheet" (76188) makes many references to the optional outdoor and indoor sensors. It shows the S1-S2 contacts in the diagrams starting on page 7 for "select models", although for specific model info the "ordering" section on page 2 says to write or phone.
»s3.pexsupply.com/manuals ··· FILE.pdf

(The abbreviated links appear the same on my browser until I hover over them. )

Edit: I also looked it up on the Honeywell site. For the WF1029 specifically, they do show "Used With C7089 ..." and a range for the sensors. I wouldn't call that confirmation, but it's a strong indication that the WiFi unit is not the same as the Zwave.
»customer.honeywell.com/e ··· WF1029/U

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Thanks for the update. If in fact this is WiFi + OAT + 2C3H it may be a winner. I am assuming the WiFi will allow me to remotely access and monitor the device with the usual Android and IOS toys.

Guess it is too new to have a lot of data for it yet ( install manual comes to mind as a really good piece of data ) and the fact that it has not shipped yet makes details and performance hard to confirm.
tberg
join:2001-08-23
Greenville, SC

tberg

said by pende_tim:

and the fact that it has not shipped yet makes details and performance hard to confirm.

It's in stock at our local Home Depot. Amazon carries it for a few more bucks. $149 from Home Depot. My brother picked one up yesterday.

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by tberg:

said by pende_tim:

and the fact that it has not shipped yet makes details and performance hard to confirm.

It's in stock at our local Home Depot. Amazon carries it for a few more bucks. $149 from Home Depot. My brother picked one up yesterday.

Sorry I meandered away from the Home Depot model creating confusion. I gather you're referring to the retail RTH8580WF in my first post, while I think pende_tim was referring to the Tradeline TH8320WF1029, which has some features that apparently aren't included on the retail model.

If I'm wrong about any of that, please post again.