Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

3 edits

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

Posting comments on CBC.ca articles

Anyone tried it?

In my absence here, and seeing some ridiculous posts on some of their articles, I registered on their site and have posted 3 comments in the past 6 weeks (taking it easy). None of them have been posted.

The first one was a slightly critical comment based on the headline of an article. The article was about the ice level in the Arctic being the "lowest ever", but of course when you read further, you see it is the lowest in its records dating 30 years...i found that title a little misleading, and simply stated that.

sure enough, not posted...yet, numerous (and i mean 20+) comments were approved about blabbering "Harper is killing Earth" type stuff...seriously, if i didn't know any better, i'd say elwood is a top tier poster there.

then, today, an article about Toyota's recall of 7 million cars...looks pretty intense, so i check it out...it's a silly power window switch...that is "front page news now", is it?...ok, whatever, it is still a lot of vehicles recalled...i wander down to the comments section and there is this poster from BC (judging by their username) babbling on about "imported junk" and how people are stupid for buying that stuff and should only buy Ford, GM and Chrysler products to support their "Canadian and American" neighbours make a decent living.

i just about fell out of my chair after reading that drivel...i typed up this fantastic reply (which took all but 10 characters of allowable space), and sure enough, it wasn't posted again...fuck the CBC.

if you are interested, here is the article:

»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· dow.html

my comment (reply) pointed out that of the 10 vehicles recalled, 1 is made in Japan, 3 are made in Canada and the other 6 are made in the USA...so, the reality is if you want to support your Canadian and American brethren, buy a Toyota, as most of their products are made by them...in another twist of irony, if you are going to slam the people "making imported junk", at least realize the people you trying to defend, are the very people making the vehicles that are recalled.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Thank you. I'm glad someone else confirmed my experience wasn't isolated to just me as I lost my mind after doing the same, writing what I felt was an insightful post debating against a wave of one sided comments. Unfortunately while I was waiting for moderation to approve... others were approved for considerably lower levels of etiquette.

I'd waited a week and people were continually approved while my posts... to the ether. I chalked it up to political bias but based on what you're saying maybe it's just personal interests.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
But he is killing the earth.

I can't say I've ever posted a comment at CBC.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
The software for the CBC message boards is a complete mess, with the auto-censorship module constantly going haywire and unjustifiably dropping submitted messages left and right.

It's as if the CBC would have preferred that nobody posted any comments at all.

I was actually considering writing a message board browser plugin that attaches itself to existing articles on news sites, and overrides the site's existing message board (if any) with my own, which would NOT censor any messages whatsoever.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
jeffer, your making mister math mad.

1+3+5 =

as for the CBC site, it's like listening to the rant line on the radio here, lots of loosely informed blind rage over things they don't understand, or blatant ignorance on subjects, which i would have no problem pissing on their parade for my own amusement if i had as much free time as they did/do.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by BonezX:

jeffer, your making mister math mad.

1+3+5 =

my bad...6 are US, not 5.

my point remains, 9 of the 10 vehicles are already made in Canada/USA...and the 10th (Yaris) while a decent seller, pales in comparison to the others on the list.

sikk
Yawn
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29

sikk to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
I've tried to make fun of TSN for posting stuff that's been less than news-worthy too, none of my comments made it through. I don't even bother anymore. You'd almost think news sites are a bit sensitive about that kind of thing.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

DJ, comments there are usually moderated and who knows, yours might have even showed up by now. I've posted against their bias and still got my comments published.. They even posted my comments on gun control and I don't exactly count Windy Wendy from Rye High as one of my friends
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Their comment system is a bit weird. I can't recall ever posting there, but I've read comments to remind me of human stupidity and found comments from "both sides" when I did. Whether or not some had never made it there, only the CBC moderators know.

I've posted comments on CTV news stories and often had some that never showed up, despite mine not being inflammatory or completely retarded like some that were there, so go figure what they do. Maybe to flip a coin to accept or reject comments.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
While I've no experience commenting on the CBC, I did notice that the Globe and Mail rolled out a new way to pre-moderate comments for Margaret Wente's latest column.

I'm surprised that old media sites still haven't learned how to moderate comments openly and fairly. Slashdot, Reddit and tons of other sites have figured out how to encourage debate, without resorting to deleting comments.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by booj:

I'm surprised that old media sites still haven't learned how to moderate comments openly and fairly. Slashdot, Reddit and tons of other sites have figured out how to encourage debate, without resorting to deleting comments.

Mebbee DSLr should take look at how those sites do it.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by booj:

Lol maybe. I'm not sure DSLR has enough posters to warrant such a change as those systems help the few good comments stand out from hundreds. DSLR's approval function is nice and I wish more people would use it. Though it has the potential to create cliques since you can see who approved of what post.

Disqus has a nice platform for moderating comments, but lacks an anonymous option. It also permits too much cross-site tracking.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by booj:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by booj:

Lol maybe. I'm not sure DSLR has enough posters to warrant such a change as those systems help the few good comments stand out from hundreds.

All my comments are good comments.
It's just the mods that don't think so sometimes.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to milnoc

MVM

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I was actually considering writing a message board browser plugin that attaches itself to existing articles on news sites, and overrides the site's existing message board (if any) with my own, which would NOT censor any messages whatsoever.

That would not end well for you.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to booj

Premium Member

to booj
said by booj:

While I've no experience commenting on the CBC, I did notice that the Globe and Mail rolled out a new way to pre-moderate comments for Margaret Wente's latest column.

Well, there's a legitimate reason for that.

I've posted on the G&M before and haven't had any issues. Usually posts right away. And no, I don't use the same handle.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
> I registered on their site and have posted 3 comments in the
> past 6 weeks (taking it easy). None of them have been posted.

Do an experiment.

Go to some story on cbc.ca, pick a comment that someone else posted, copy the text of the comment and post it as your own. See if it gets posted or not.