uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Weird toilet in rental, how do I open it?

I'm renting a tiny apartment. I am having trouble with the toilet *button* sticking and not coming back up, and I've very hesitant to complain about it, and after all, I am usually pretty handy with some things.

Rather than the tank having a lever to flush, it has a button in the lid. I can't seem to lift the lid to remove the cover and see what is wrong. I have to keep jabbing at the button whenever I flush until the button finally gets unstuck and comes up.

How do I remove the lid?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Post a pic of said toilet,but flush first.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to signmeuptoo
Usually there is an escutcheon ring around the button (trim ring). It either pries off or unscrews. Once you get that off, you can loosen the button and pull the lid. Sometimes the whole damn button unscrews with a nut, sometimes there are 2-3 screws holding it down.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Thanks guys, now how do I get the button to stop getting stuck? Can I lubricate it? If so, with what?

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
I vote silicone grease, or medium heavy silicone oil if you can't get enough access to smear on grease.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
WD-40

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA