how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

toroloco

@optonline.net
reply to kickass69

Re: [iO] New Jersey All Digital

" FCC regulations: No cable TV providers can encrypt the basic tier inclusive of ALL broadcast television stations."

Folks, I'm a little confused by this statement. I'm in Rockland, NY and as of this morning Oct 10th my tv's without set top box no longer received any channels. It appears that I must use a set top box for regular channels like abc,nbc, and cbs.
I loath set top box and use a cablecard setup in my main viewing area but now the few tv's scattered around a few bedrooms are useless without the stb.
So does that FCC regulation no longer apply ? or am I understanding it wrong ?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
You are understanding it wrong.
The broadcast basic channels are there in the clear -- in digital.
You need a digital TV set to receive broadcast basic without a box. They cut out all of the analog channels.
What Cablevision has done is completely legal. You need to get boxes (which are free for at least a year), or get some digital TVs.

toroloco

@optonline.net
" or get some digital TVs."

they are digital tv's !!

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
said by toroloco :

" or get some digital TVs."

they are digital tv's !!

Specifically, you need tvs with a QAM tuner built in. Most have it now, but older ones didn't usually have them. If your tv has a QAM tuner it should pick up the digital version of broadcast basic channels.

toroloco

@optonline.net
" If your tv has a QAM tuner it should pick up the digital version of broadcast basic channels."

Exactly, and that's how it worked until a few days ago. my hdtv does have a qam tuner.
As of a few days ago, cablevision requires you to have a stb to see anything at all.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

Have you tried re-scanning? Cablevision has been moving some stuff around behind the scenes.

toroloco

@optonline.net
Yes I tried rescanning. I ended up having to get a stb for those rooms.
Fine for now but in a years time I'll have to revisit this.
So the fcc rule does not apply ?

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Cable Operators Can Fight Theft by Encrypting Signals, FCC Rules

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-1···les.html

"Cable companies led by Comcast Corp. (CMCSA) won U.S. permission to encrypt their basic service to fight theft and reduce service calls.

The Federal Communications Commission voted 5-0 to allow encryption, the agency said in an order released yesterday. Cable companies already encrypt offerings on more expensive channel packages that feature more programming.

The FCC had prohibited encryption on basic service so customers wouldn’t need to rent a set-top box to view local stations."

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to toroloco
said by toroloco :

Yes I tried rescanning. I ended up having to get a stb for those rooms.
Fine for now but in a years time I'll have to revisit this.
So the fcc rule does not apply ?

In a year from now, you'll have to "re-visit" this by either paying for the set top boxes, coming up with some other solution that requires an authentication device from Cablevision (or competing video provider), or getting a rooftop antenna.