spc
uniqs
wacko1128
join:2010-03-23
Clinton, IL

wacko1128 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad

Re: [IL] Ultra50?

My wife said the maintenance guy was here again today, but I can tell you that he has never come into the house.

Ok so here's where things get really weird. Brought my work laptop home tonight. Plugged it into the router directly and got this result on a speed test:

Plugged my desktop back in and got this result:

The laptop had gotten a different IP address when plugged into the modem directly that CORRECTLY showed that I was located somewhere in central Illinois. When I use my desktop it says INCORRECTLY that I am located in central Missouri. Either way I don't know what is going on.

Going to try an update some drivers and such to see if I can make a dent in this issue.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

The Maintenance tech tested the speeds outside the house, we know that the speeds are getting to your house. There is definitely something there that is causing the speed issues.
wacko1128
Clinton, IL

1 edit

wacko1128

I think I may have solved the problem:

Will keep checking over the next few days to see if this keeps fairly consistent.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Good to hear. If I may ask, what was the issue you found?
wacko1128
Clinton, IL

wacko1128

Well really it was a total accident. I had reinstalled the drivers for my motherboard NIC already in this process of elimination, but thought that maybe I should roll back to the previous version (the newest version is not very new). In the process I uninstalled my driver then was in the process of installing the other driver, but encountered an error after a reboot (as part of the install process). Once I had logged in, the install failed. Almost immediately Windows Update started installing what appeared to be a generic driver for my NICs. Once it finished, I thought what the hell? and tried out some tests. What I posted last is representative of the speeds I was getting most of the evening and this morning (off-peak) I was seeing DL @ 53.09Mb/s and UL @ 5.50Mb/s.

I don't think that my issues were entirely on my end, but that the combo of the maintenance person's work and mine (was up late installing, reinstalling, & updating everything I could think of for several nights) that brought the service up to what was expected.

Still will be monitoring this to be sure this wasn't a fluke, so we'll see. Am hopeful though.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I am glad we finally got it figured out. Keep me updated and let me know if you have any other issues.
wacko1128
Clinton, IL

wacko1128

Tonight @ 7:30 PM CST:

And another:

Seems like around peak times DL takes a serious hit. These tests begin well over 40 Mbps then drop till the final result.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I have double checked and I am not seeing any issues from here.
wacko1128
Clinton, IL

wacko1128

Thanks for checking. Don't know if there is any issue other than peak time usage. That's what I assume the problem is since at other times of day the service is much faster and consistent.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Keep me updated if you see any other issues.