spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cauzomb
join:2001-11-27
Watsonville, CA

cauzomb

slow laggy internet in watsonville

hello again.. Experiencing extremely slow internet today.. No punn-intended..

There was some internet service provider truck out by our drop recently.. was a white van with either HD or DH letters with an image of a laptop next to the letters. My nephew mentioned that they were working on the internet service for his friend a couple houses up the road. Didn't notice what they were doing out there but it seems like after they left my internet was slow.. We also had 2 or three passing thunderstorms with heavy rain at times, enough rain to make the road look like a river up to about an inch from the top of the gutter/curb... I unplugged everything till the thunderstorms passed, then this afternoon/evening plugged everything back in and have very slow internet..

Getting between 1/10th and 1/20th of our normal downloads, high ping etc.. upload seems normal.. I tried 4 power cycles and even a modem reset via the "reset button"

Still getting between 150-350Kb "Kilobits" instead of 150-300KB "Kilobytes" downloads... I'm on the 3Meg/256K plan..

My last speed test results were really slow both ways..
138Kb download and 193Kb upload

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

I've checked your line readings, and we're seeing really low readings - signal strength is low, both down and upstream. There's most likely some exposed wiring or the like somewhere on the outside lines that was aggravated by the rain; I'll have a tech call to troubleshoot further.
cauzomb
join:2001-11-27
Watsonville, CA

cauzomb

Thanks Nick.

Seems like the new run of phone wire to the modem fixed the issues with the slow/laggy internet...

I used the same 4x24 gauge solid core phone wire, left over from the spool that I got to run to the modem b4... I couldn't find any breaks or exposed wire in the old run to the modem. Figured it would be easier to just run the new wire vs cutting it back and recrimping a connector, reconnecting it to the box outside.. No telling for sure what happened.

I may have tweaked the plug end at the modem when unplugging it till the T-storm passed or we got a surge from the t-storm..

One of my nephews xbox360's refused to power up after plugging it back into power/post T-storm.

Their xbox's were the last electronics to be unplugged between thunder claps... If we did get a surge from the T-strom, I'm glad I wasn't holding the power cable for the xbox's when it happened lol..

Anywhoo.. Thanks again for the help.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Sorry about the Xbox, otherwise sounds good!