share rss forum feed

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

[Ultra] Suggestion about series recordings

It would be nice if the series recording setting could be backed up, should you ever need to replace the Media Hub. I bet there are at least 90 different series settings now on my Ultra.

Such a swap would lose any recordings, but at least hours of settings could/should get saved. If it were automatic, and off the WOW side, even better!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
I have to say, that's a great idea that's already being implemented. AT&T U-Verse separates out the recorder from their gateway; the main recorder sits at a TV set and records shows and plays them back at that TV, but the actual recording schedule is stored on the gateway itself.

That makes sense for a number of reasons. The gateway manages all communications to the home, including video, and it's solid-state. With no spinning disc it's far less likely to fail.

Anyway, my brother has had the actual DVR fail several times (lowest bidder product, you know) and AT&T has replaced it and he's lost his shows, but the recordings just start piling back up again.

The real solution to this would be to store the recording schedule back at WOW itself.

Frankly, all vendors--AT&T included--should investigate this sort of "private cloud" storage of the recording schedule. That is, until the industry can figure out how to let us have everything on demand and stop the current time-based-broadcasting silliness that forces us to have devices that watch TV for us and preserve the illusion of the content providers that it's still 1970 and we're all scheduling our personal lives around getting home to the TV to sit and watch a particular show.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:37
reply to usa2k
This is something that has been suggested by many customers and employees. I know there's been some talk on how to make it possible, so it may be in the works down the line. I couldn't even guess about a time frame though.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to usa2k
For a true back-up, WOW! should allow external hdd's to store recordings that could be played back on replacement equipment in case your dvr goes down. Dish Network has this feature with their dvr's. The hdd is tied to your account and not to a specific dvr. So it is possible.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
said by mogamer:

For a true back-up, WOW! should allow external hdd's to store recordings that could be played back on replacement equipment in case your dvr goes down. Dish Network has this feature with their dvr's. The hdd is tied to your account and not to a specific dvr. So it is possible.

I'll second this. Right now my DVR is 50% I'd loose alot of things that I have not watched yet if that unit files. A backup system MUST be added for this product.

Their are ways to ensure that users do not share their content so that the providers will not complain.

adam1991

Columbus, OH
said by alan92rttt:

said by mogamer:

I'll second this. Right now my DVR is 50% I'd loose alot of things that I have not watched yet if that unit files. A backup system MUST be added for this product.

You lost me with the "MUST" part.

This is TV, for God's sake. So you miss a show, or you don't get to see it until reruns or the DVD comes out. Nobody's going to die, nobody's going to lose precious memories, the world won't end.

Chill.

alan92rttt

True it won't end. But by the same logic why do we need a multi-room DVR system? If we miss a show the world won't end

I define "must" as a feature the system should have based on what it does.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI

Re: [Ultra] Suggestion about series recordings

Yes I saw MUST as "must have" meaning could be widely popular.

Even if there were an All On-Demand system with no need for DVR,
then I would want my DVR-like lists, so I can focus on the episodes I care about,
and ignore the vast choices that do not interest me.
I see that as features to enhance On-Demand
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

adam1991

Columbus, OH
said by usa2k:

Yes I saw MUST as "must have" meaning could be widely popular.

Even if there were an All On-Demand system with no need for DVR,
then I would want my DVR-like lists, so I can focus on the episodes I care about,
and ignore the vast choices that do not interest me.
I see that as features to enhance On-Demand

Whoever can come up with that interface at the 10 foot level will be a genius. I say that because even Netflix can't figure it out. Go ahead, just try working with a multi-season TV show on anything that isn't a computer. Good luck.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
Redford, MI

Re: [Ultra] Suggestion about series recordings

And now that my Ultra Hub has been replaced - 0nly the cable modem section stayed functional - now I wish I had the series schedule on WOW so I could be done setting things up!!!

32 shows programmed so far . . .

alan92rttt

If only it had a backup system .....