how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fabf2

join:2012-10-11
North York, ON

[Extreme Plus] Is the Rog. CGN2-ROG wireless modem really 802.11

I recently upgraded to this top-of-the-line Rogers wireless router/modem. I did this to improve my intra computer wifi data transfer rate.
Although it appears stable it does not seem to invoke any of the 802.11n high speed wifi features. Indeed they cannot be set through the cusadmin pages.

I have located a Hitron user manual (Hitron-CDE-30364) which refers to a non Rogers device which has an identical set of user setup screens but also has some screens not available to me on my device.
I would like to invoke dual 20/40 mode, fat channels, the 5Ghz channels in the range higher than 11 such as 36, 40 48 etc. but they are not presented.

Possibly Rogers has neutered this device or maybe they can be set in ces mode.

For the record, I get about 32Mbps sending a large video file from a ethernet connected PC to my wifi connected MacBookPro which definitely does have all the above 802.11n features missing from the Rogers box. This is not too shabby, but far from what one would expect from this device especially when located 5 feet away from the wireless modem.

This really seems more like an 802.11g with a fast cable connection.

Can anyone suggest how I can get 802.11n performance from this device?
Thanks

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Re: [Extreme Plus] Is the Rog. CGN2-ROG wireless modem really 80

said by fabf2:

Possibly Rogers has neutered this device or maybe they can be set in ces mode.

Can anyone suggest how I can get 802.11n performance from this device?

I suggest that you phone Rogers Technical Support and ask them.

A much better solution is to put the HITRON in Bridge Mode and purchase the Netgear WNDR4500 wireless Router Then you would have a superb network encompassing wireless and wired.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to fabf2

They gave my buddy a POS (used) SMC modem, and then offered to sell it to him for $200!