share rss forum feed

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: Google DNS versus ours

said by TSI Gabe:

1) using a third party DNS provider doesn't fragment your DNS.

No, but it does fragment a users overall internet traffic to several different providers. History of internet traffic to 1 provider, and history of DNS requests to another, for example.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by d4m1r:

said by TSI Gabe:

1) using a third party DNS provider doesn't fragment your DNS.

No, but it does fragment a users overall internet traffic to several different providers. History of internet traffic to 1 provider, and history of DNS requests to another, for example.

Still not making any sense.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
It's a tinfoil hat mentality.

Etobicoke, ON
That's exactly what I was thinking when I replied.

tsicustomer

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Gabe
So I switched to TSI's "new" DNS's about a week ago when I stumbled upon this thread. Everything was going well until today when I noticed websites were taking forever to load/find... even just trying to ping a host would take some time before it initiated the ping..

Switched back to googles DNS and everything immediately became fast again.

So much for TSI's "super fast" DNS servers I guess...

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
wouldn't flushing your dns cache be useful in a situation like this?

NOTORIOUS VR

join:2008-12-17
TORONTO, ON
^^^ Funny, it's almost like you're trying to say that it's not TSI's fault.

Before finding this thread about you boasting about TSI's DNS speed I was using google's DNS' for years without issue... never having to do anything, no reloading, no slow downs.

After seeing the graphs posted I decided to give it a shot... I didn't notice a speed difference, but it was working fine so I left it.

Not even a week later today the WEB was CRAWLING slow even though speed tests and actual ping rates were fine... I changed back from TSI DNS to google and what do ya know problem went away instantly.

Bottom line is, I shouldn't have to "flush" anything if the DNS servers are working correctly.

FWIW, tsicustomer (anon) was my post above.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
said by NOTORIOUS VR:

^^^ Funny, it's almost like you're trying to say that it's not TSI's fault.

Assuming as you did that this is what I meant, you are wrong. It could very well be us and if that's the case, then we must look into it.

On the other hand, can anyone else confirm the exact same thing as notorious vs or is everyone one using our DNS servers also having the same problem? I personally don't have this issue on both my DSL & Cable services.

Thanks,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

OTIS3

join:2011-09-29
Click for full size
I also had some issues with DNS yesterday. Honestly, I didn't bother to look into it too far. I ran namebench a number of times today. It consistently tells me google dns is better.

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Here's what I'm seeing...
48.02ms for 206.248.154.22
48.26ms for 206.248.154.170
65.22ms for 8.8.4.4

Kev
TekSavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to OTIS3
said by OTIS3:

I also had some issues with DNS yesterday. Honestly, I didn't bother to look into it too far. I ran namebench a number of times today. It consistently tells me google dns is better.

What about OpenDNS?
--
Teksavvy.com + 300GB Bandwidth awesomeness!

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
OpenDNS is adware directed, doesn't really conforms to the a proper DNS service protocol.

From my testing two years back, Google DNS2 was consistently fastest followed by TSI's.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rodjames
said by rodjames:

It's a tinfoil hat mentality.

Does it make any less true? No. You might not care about your privacy, but I sure do.

Fragment your online services people, keep your 3rd party DNS providers. Not saying I don't trust TSI with my DNS queries, but I like them to be handled by a 3rd party (and preferably offshore) instead.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
The farthest I'll go offshore is in a Dory. Lighten up you're not working for the CIA are ya?

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Gabe
Click for full size
TSI's are still faster than the public DNS:

Etobicoke, ON
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Fragment your online services people, keep your 3rd party DNS providers. Not saying I don't trust TSI with my DNS queries, but I like them to be handled by a 3rd party (and preferably offshore) instead.

I run my own. The last DNS servers I would ever truly trust would be 3rd party (especially Google, Level3 or OpenDNS).

mikefallen

join:2010-01-27
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Gabe

Mine shows that Teksavvy is the fastest 25/10 dsl