Guelph, ON
Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE
SmartRG SR808ac

Packet Loss to OTIS3

Premium Member

to OTIS3

Re: Google DNS versus ours

said by OTIS3:

I also had some issues with DNS yesterday. Honestly, I didn't bother to look into it too far. I ran namebench a number of times today. It consistently tells me google dns is better.

What about OpenDNS?

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT

OpenDNS is adware directed, doesn't really conforms to the a proper DNS service protocol.

From my testing two years back, Google DNS2 was consistently fastest followed by TSI's.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to rodjames

to rodjames
said by rodjames:

It's a tinfoil hat mentality.

Does it make any less true? No. You might not care about your privacy, but I sure do.

Fragment your online services people, keep your 3rd party DNS providers. Not saying I don't trust TSI with my DNS queries, but I like them to be handled by a 3rd party (and preferably offshore) instead.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames

Premium Member

The farthest I'll go offshore is in a Dory. Lighten up you're not working for the CIA are ya?
highwire2007
join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON

highwire2007 to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
Click for full size
TSI's are still faster than the public DNS:
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to d4m1r

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Fragment your online services people, keep your 3rd party DNS providers. Not saying I don't trust TSI with my DNS queries, but I like them to be handled by a 3rd party (and preferably offshore) instead.

I run my own. The last DNS servers I would ever truly trust would be 3rd party (especially Google, Level3 or OpenDNS).
mikefallen
join:2010-01-27
Scarborough, ON

mikefallen to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe

Mine shows that Teksavvy is the fastest 25/10 dsl