Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

catbrat90

join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH
reply to catbrat90

Re: Questions about Cincinnati Bell FTTN Fioptics Service

I would say around 500 feet away from the node.

CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH
At 500' there should be no problem getting 50 Mbps download on the line. CB only offers 30 Mbps internet but IPTV can access all 50 Mbps.

Some pros and cons as regards DirecTV:

DirecTV menus & DVR more polished - ZTE STBs are improving but need to improve more... Software glitches are still evident!

No rain wipe out on Fioptics - some minor disturbance during lightning.

Fioptics install techs are fairly good but offshore customer service really sucks.

Fioptics can be all IP within the home. Can use ethernet or coax depending on installation. Tends to be less cable intensive installation than DirecTV.

CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH
reply to catbrat90
One more comment..........

Given your distance from the node I think the line speed should be fin even for 5 HD streams. The receiver software is now tolerable even if not as intuitive as DirectTV's systems. That leaves the DVR............

If ZTE have actually got the DVR firmware to the point where it can record multiple HD streams, replay multiple HD streams and provide local viewing all at the one time then that would be great - but I have not tried the whole house DVR service and on their standard DVR firmware glitches on replay and recordings are still evident.

If you decide to try it please do report back and let us know how the system does!

catbrat90

join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH
They just installed fiber to the node in my area. Just waiting for Cincinnati Bell to green light the Fioptics service. The person on the phone said it could be up to five to six days and I should see a sales person on the street.

Rob_L

@fuse.net
Same here, we just got hooked up in Delhi. So far things are up and running well on my new install.

»www.fiopticsforum.com