how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

1 edit

[CDV] Is there a forum for Comcast phone service?

My ATT local phone service is almost $40/month so I think it may be time to switch to Comcast. Have a few questions for some users. Wondering where to ask.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Re: Is there a forum for Comcast phone service?

You can ask here.

lmacmil

South Bend, IN
said by Rob:

You can ask here.

Ok. Was just on the Comcast site voice forum and read nothing but problems: dropped calls, static, can't port phone number, etc. Many have problems on-going for weeks and months.

Can this be typical? I need reliable local phone service so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot to save a few $ a month. Also wondering about hardware, do they have a wall phone option? We have an old fashioned wall phone in the kitchen don't really have room (according to my better half) for a phone that sits on the counter, no matter how small the footprint.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Well Comcast does offer a 30-day guarantee, so you can always order the service (don't port your # over), test it out for 30 days and if you are happy, then port your AT&T number over and cancel AT&T. I take it you have Comcast Internet? The voice service should be just as reliable as the Internet.

When Comcast comes out to install the service, they will give you an eMTA (Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter). They will disconnect AT&T at the NID (box on the outside of your home that connects your internal wires to AT&T's service) and reconfigure your internal wiring so that all your phones in the home will ring through the eMTA when you receive a call. So you can still use that old fashion wall phone in the kitchen.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

lmacmil

South Bend, IN
said by Rob:

I take it you have Comcast Internet? The voice service should be just as reliable as the Internet.

Yes, have had Comcast internet since 1998 and TV since 2000 and very rarely have issues/outages. Thanks for the info.

Chester2

join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to lmacmil
Check the VOIP forum: »VOIP Tech Chat

There are several good services that are way cheaper than Comcast.
--
Craig
»CraigHarris.org My BLOG on Motorcycles, Computer Stuff & Deals.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by Chester2:

One caveat about other VOIP services vs Comcast Digital Voice - Comcast Digital Voice service is not just plain VOIP, as the service runs on Comcast's own private digital network until it hits the PSTN switches. Because of that, it is able to support security systems, Fax machines, etc., where other VOIP services may not.

See: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Is Comcast Digital Voice the same as other VoIP services? and »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What is Comcast Digital Voice service?
and also:
»Phone service: Faxing, does it work?
»[CDV] Is Comcast Digital Voice cost effective?

Chester2

join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
said by telcodad:

One caveat about other VOIP services vs Comcast Digital Voice - Comcast Digital Voice service is not just plain VOIP, as the service runs on Comcast's own private digital network until it hits the PSTN switches. Because of that, it is able to support security systems, Fax machines, etc., where other VOIP services may not.

Very true. Someone with heavy phone needs probably should get Comcast. I seriously considered Comcast before switching my phone service but all I need is a cheap replacement for my AT&T home phone and $7/month for VOIP is much better than $25/month for Comcast.
--
Craig
»CraigHarris.org My BLOG on Motorcycles, Computer Stuff & Deals.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Chester2
said by Chester2:

You going to explain how to feed his house wiring and disco the current Telco until he understands it or should he incur the wrath of his wife when the wall phones does not work in the kitchen?

Kewliuke

join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE
reply to lmacmil
Another option... »www.straighttalkhomephone.com/

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to lmacmil
The official Comcast voice forums are here: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Serv···/bd-p/47

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lmacmil
I've had the voice service since the spring, and really I have only one gripe.. A couple months ago there was an outage, Internet and Phone went down, video was working. This was on a Thursday.. When I called Comcast to report this they offered to send out a tech - on the following Tuesday.

Apparently they are doing something that makes them exempt from the PUC's 4 hour response requirement imposed on regular POTS providers. I found that odd since a no-picture will normally generate a same day tech visit.

BTW the next day the services came up, still it's disconcerting knowing that a no dial-tone call is not taken seriously at all.

Other than that, the service has been good. No call quality issues at all, and except for that one time, the voice service stayed up and running when one or both of the other services went down.

As for porting issues.. back when I was a tech, and more recently when switching service myself, the vast majority of problems are caused by the old telco playing games when it comes to releasing the number for transport. All I will say is if you have Frontier (formerly Commonwealth) as your phone service, expect it to take a month to port from them, as they will use every excuse in the book to not release a number.

cablejim7168

@comcast.net
On the response time for CDV down, they get moved up in the que as jobs clear. When calling in the rep schedules you on the first open appointment they see in the system. At least in the area i work.So here you would have had same day or next day depnding on the time you called.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to flwpwr
said by flwpwr :

said by Chester2:

You going to explain how to feed his house wiring and disco the current Telco until he understands it or should he incur the wrath of his wife when the wall phones does not work in the kitchen?

Yes we will, as that is the kind of folks we are over in the VoIP forum.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to lmacmil

Re: [CDV] Is there a forum for Comcast phone service?

In regard to your question ...

Is there a forum for Comcast phone service?

If you view this forum in forum mode (click on the forum link), you can see this information at the top of the forum:

The Comcast forum is a members helping members forum for discussions about Comcast's cable internet service; its use, availability, features, customer service issues and general information. Presently, this is also the forum for discussion of Comcast Digital Voice (CDV) and Comcast Digital Phone (CDP) as well as Comcast Wi-Fi. Please include this information in your posts when requesting help.
Please ask tweaking questions in the Broadband Tweaks forum, hardware questions in the Computer Hardware forum and cable TV questions in the Comcast Cable TV forum.

Each forum has a description of its purpose at the top.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Stu Pidaso

join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN
reply to lmacmil

Re: Is there a forum for Comcast phone service?

said by lmacmil:

said by Rob:

You can ask here.

Ok. Was just on the Comcast site voice forum and read nothing but problems: dropped calls, static, can't port phone number, etc. Many have problems on-going for weeks and months.

Can this be typical? I need reliable local phone service so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot to save a few $ a month. Also wondering about hardware, do they have a wall phone option? We have an old fashioned wall phone in the kitchen don't really have room (according to my better half) for a phone that sits on the counter, no matter how small the footprint.

This is true of any service or products in the world. Most people do not just randomly start a thread to say "this service is great!" or "this is the best thing I ever bought".