uniqs
share rss forum feed

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

reply to ebgbjo

Re: [Rant] Everyone jump on the Pink bandwagon...

said by ebgbjo:

The more pink I see, the more I am just reminded of how much money has been donated over the past decade or more and we are still nowhere closer to finding a cure

I always think about that when the annual United Way drive kicks into gear. A few years ago I got a breakdown of how the St Louis United Way spent it's money. Overhead wasn't too bad for such a high PR charity and they did spread the money around to dozens of local organizations. But a little closer look turned me away from the United Way. They gave $1000 or $1500 to lots of worthy organizations like Ronald McDonald House or abused women's shelters, but they gave 90% of the money (over $1,000,000) to the Urban League, which is nothing but a front for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

When someone tries as hard as United Way and Komen does to get charity donations, it makes me immediately suspicious of where that money's going.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

The United Way is 100% overhead. You can have more of your money do useful stuff by contributing directly to charities.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to footballdude
Sometimes I feel that the search for the "Cure" of anything is like the war on drugs. If the war is won or the cure is found a lot of people are going to be out of a job.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
There will always be something else out there to cure. Plenty of things to keep humans busy for a few centuries.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

Sometimes I feel that the search for the "Cure" of anything is like the war on drugs. If the war is won or the cure is found a lot of people are going to be out of a job.

I don't want to be too cynical. I've no doubt that someone will eventually find a cure for cancer. And I know that research requires funding. But I don't blindly trust that everyone that says they're in it for a cure is really in it for a cure. Or even if they mean well, I'm not convinced they're doing things the correct way.

The way I deal with it is that I've selected a couple of charities that I know are handling things well and I support them every time I get paid. When other charities try to beat me over the head and guilt me into giving, I'm just not interested.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink