share rss forum feed

cowwoc

join:2007-05-19
St John'S, NL
reply to bt

Re: Bell: We don't provide same service to Teksavvy customers

said by bt:

said by cowwoc:

Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home?

No. You're running into physical limitations of the wiring.

I understand I'm running into the physical limitation of a single wire, but can't Bell bond multiple wires (say one meant for my neighbor which isn't using DSL) to promise me faster service?

Is DSL bonding really my only realistic option? My house is using one line for DSL and the other for phone/alarm system. Wouldn't the second DSL run into interference with existing services?

Is it possible for me to bond two DSL connections with differing speeds? Perhaps I could get a cheap/slow second connection and use it purely to augment my upload speed? The cheapest option I see is DSL 6/0.8 for $30 but I'm paying for the extra download speed and bandwidth I don't need. Is there a cheaper option?

Thanks,
Gili

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by cowwoc:

said by bt:

said by cowwoc:

Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home?

No. You're running into physical limitations of the wiring.

I understand I'm running into the physical limitation of a single wire, but can't Bell bond multiple wires (say one meant for my neighbor which isn't using DSL) to promise me faster service?

Is DSL bonding really my only realistic option? My house is using one line for DSL and the other for phone/alarm system. Wouldn't the second DSL run into interference with existing services?

Is it possible for me to bond two DSL connections with differing speeds? Perhaps I could get a cheap/slow second connection and use it purely to augment my upload speed? The cheapest option I see is DSL 6/0.8 for $30 but I'm paying for the extra download speed and bandwidth I don't need. Is there a cheaper option?

Thanks,
Gili

There's nothing else can do... Unless your line has a physical issue... they won't do anything else.

Bonding is between you and your ISP, and usually it's better to have lines at the same speed.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to cowwoc

said by cowwoc:

Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home? That sounds cheap enough (cheaper than adding a new box or paying for an extensive upgrade).

You could probably run your own transatlantic fibre-optic cable from your front door to Europe faster and cheaper than Bell could give you an upgrade.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by cowwoc:

Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home? That sounds cheap enough (cheaper than adding a new box or paying for an extensive upgrade).

You could probably run your own transatlantic fibre-optic cable from your front door to Europe faster and cheaper than Bell could give you an upgrade.

I have two co-workers abroad. One is in Bulgaria, another in Serbia. They have 64Mbps and 32Mbps connections, respectively, for less than $30/month.

Serbia!!! Come on people! Canada is such a third-world country when it comes to internet.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

Duh, yes.

And I'll bet that on an income adjusted & "delivered bitrate"** basis that their service is a lot cheaper too.

** delivered bitrate = the actual measured bitrate available at the user premises, NOT the advertised speed.

komi

join:2011-07-08
North York, ON
reply to cowwoc

Just go a bit south (Romania) and for $30 you'll get internet-50Mbps, cable TV with 10 HD channels and home phone-VOIP. Now that's a hot deal!

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to cowwoc

Also note, distance in this case is WIRE distance, not street distance. So it could be 800 m but the cabling can make it more than that. Bell will also not fix that.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

said by mlerner:

Also note, distance in this case is WIRE distance, not street distance. So it could be 800 m but the cabling can make it more than that. Bell will also not fix that.

Is this one of those things that gets better over time? Meaning, will they upgrade their box and roll out new boxes over time (as in months, not years)?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by cowwoc:

Is this one of those things that gets better over time ?

Meaning, will they upgrade their box and roll out new boxes over time (as in months, not years)?

I would not hold my breath on that.

Does St. John's have any CABLE Internet service providers ?

If yes, have you looked into THEM ?

Then again, Cable is less likely to even PRETEND to offer as high of an UPstream channel speed to typical consumers.

So you seem to be stuck with some form of DSL, or with paying an FN fortune to have a dedicated feed of some sort installed.

Not great news at best.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

said by Davesnothere:

said by cowwoc:

Is this one of those things that gets better over time ?

Meaning, will they upgrade their box and roll out new boxes over time (as in months, not years)?

I would not hold my breath on that.

Does St. John's have any CABLE Internet service providers ?

If yes, have you looked into THEM ?

Then again, Cable is less likely to even PRETEND to offer as high of an UPstream channel speed to typical consumers.

So you seem to be stuck with some form of DSL, or with paying an FN fortune to have a dedicated feed of some sort installed.

Not great news at best.

My profile information seems to be incorrect. I'm from Montreal, Quebec not St. Johns. Yes, Cable is available, but upload is limited to 2Mbps which is lower than what I am already getting so there is no point.

I wonder if I'd get further dealing with Bell or Videotron directly. At least Videotron seems to offer higher speeds (both upload and download) than Teksavvy. While dealing with Bell directly probably wouldn't get me a better connection, Videotron might. Still, I'm not a fan of the company and I also cringe at having to give up my static IP address.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

Take a look a »www.caneris.com/MLPPP

mr_hexen

join:2007-08-02
Brampton, ON
reply to cowwoc

im going to say what everyone else is probably thinking here.

you've stated several times your need for speed is business / commercially driven so get a proper business line.

first time your RESIDENTIAL line goes down you'll be crying about the 2-3 day repair time because you're losing money and want to be reimbursed and everyone is evil.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to cowwoc

said by cowwoc:

said by mlerner:

Is this one of those things that gets better over time? Meaning, will they upgrade their box and roll out new boxes over time (as in months, not years)?

Unlikely to happen any time soon. That kind of thing is typically approached as a major upgrade and not a refinement like you're hoping for.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mr_hexen

When your business line goes down, the repair time is the same as it is for a residential line, at least when dealing with an independent. I don't know why people keep spreading incorrect information about this. I have a few lines of each type that I manage, the only line I get better service on out of all of them is my fibre lan extension.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

said by Bugblndr:

When your business line goes down, the repair time is the same as it is for a residential line, at least when dealing with an independent. I don't know why people keep spreading incorrect information about this. I have a few lines of each type that I manage, the only line I get better service on out of all of them is my fibre lan extension.

Furthermore, I was told business service might not even be available in my area since it is zoned as residential. And I agree, there doesn't seem to be any technical difference between residential and business service; the only difference is the price.

I would be more than happy to pay for a business connection if it provided synchronous speeds (meaning the same speed up and down and obviously it would have to be fast). Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be available.

Gili

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1

Is fibe TV available in your area? I ask this because if it is then the bridge tap removal program went through your area. I have found that bridge taps and end taps effect the upload speed big time. On a decent line 700 m from the slam upload should be higher than that. 7330 can push speed better and farther than an o slam as well.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

said by SLAMtech:

Is fibe TV available in your area? I ask this because if it is then the bridge tap removal program went through your area. I have found that bridge taps and end taps effect the upload speed big time. On a decent line 700 m from the slam upload should be higher than that. 7330 can push speed better and farther than an o slam as well.

No. It's not available in my area (according to Bell's website). Then again, according to their website DSL 25/10 isn't available in my area either but according to Teksavvy's internal Bell portal it is so this isn't definitive.

Anyway, that's good news though. So in theory once they roll out Fibe TV to my area I should see much higher upload speeds? It should be easier to convince them of that (maybe sign up for a few months myself as incentive).

What is the definitive way of finding out whether bridge taps are in use in my area? Is there a chance I can push them to remove it through Teksavvy?

Thanks,
Gili

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by cowwoc:

Anyway, that's good news though. So in theory once they roll out Fibe TV to my area I should see much higher upload speeds? It should be easier to convince them of that (maybe sign up for a few months myself as incentive).

FibeTV is available in my area, and I get only 3.8 Mb up. The issue is the distance. In comparison to you, my stats are the following:

Downstream line rate 31148 kbps
Upstream line rate 4964 kbps
Bearer Downstream payload rate 26928 kbps
Bearer Upstream payload rate 4032 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate 32712 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate 40384 kbps
Downstream Training Margin 9.9 dB
Downstream delay 0.0 ms
Upstream delay 0.0 ms
Tx total power 6.6 dbm
FE Tx total power 13.5 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length 2754 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length 2402 ft

My estimated Loop Length of 2754 ft is 700 less than yours, which would explain the difference in upstream. Now if we were at 1000 feet, we would be at 10 and laughing.

Realistically, to get the upstream you're looking for, your going to have to move, or pay for 2 lines and do MLPPP through TekSavvy or someone else who offers it.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

For Comparison sake heres my stats

VDSL2 Firmware Version
9.3.2.6IK105012
VDSL2 Link Status
UP
Downstream line rate
29424 kbps
Upstream line rate
13176 kbps
Bearer Downstream payload rate
26928 kbps
Bearer Upstream payload rate
11328 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate
46432 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate
54632 kbps
Downstream Training Margin
14.6 dB
Downstream delay
0.0 ms
Upstream delay
0.0 ms
Tx total power
11.3 dbm
FE Tx total power
14.1 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length
1947 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length
2719 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length
0 ft
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

olive403

join:2012-10-10
Canada
Reviews:
·WestNet Wireless
reply to cowwoc

wow 10 upload on dsl.................................

we JUST got 2.5 in Alberta upload.
--
My ISP Speedtest
»www.speedtest.net/result/2234183999.png

X10A

join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC
reply to cowwoc

nothing much you can do, buy a dell grab and go kit from dell and order bell for 3 months, see if they can give you 25/10. If they can then complain to teksavvy.

If not, look for MLPPP with teksavvy, although I am not sure if MLPPP can happen with vdsl(I do not know anything about their VDSL modem). But it will cost you.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Let's see him come up with the couple billion dollars first

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by 34764170:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Let's see him come up with the couple billion dollars first

And even if it took him a while to do that, it would still be cheaper & faster than waiting for Bell.

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

1 edit
reply to cowwoc

Technician #6 just came and went, this time from Telecon. After spending an hour, he concluded (yet again) that the problem is outside the home.

I was originally getting 21Mbps down, 2.2Mbps up at the jack close to the computer. We re-ran the test with the modem connected directly to the POTS splitter (disconnected all other lines) and I got 21Mbps down, 2.7Mbps. Conclusion: the problem is outside the home.

I asked him to pass the message onto Teksavvy but he refused to stick around. I asked explicitly to write it in my file. He said he would send back a "code" to Telecon indicating there was no problem in the home and it is up to them to communicate back to Teksavvy that the problem is outside the home (translation: they won't do it).

So here's the deal: Bell says the problem is not on their end so the problem must be in the house. Telecon says they fixed any problems in the house (not directly implying there is a problem with Bell). And Teksavvy, won't take it up with Bell until there is a note in my file that says that the problem isn't in the house.

I start off with a 2.2Mbps up connection. After the Telecon guy left I am now down to 1.9Mbps up (I think they changed my speed profile). I am actually worse off now than when I began

I'm super frustrated. What now?

**Updated line stats**

Extended Port Status
=================
Bme: 1 Port: 1
Downstream line rate: 27148 kbps
Upstream line rate: 2892 kbps
Bearer0 Downstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Downstream payload rate: 22856 kbps
Bearer0 Upstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Upstream payload rate: 2192 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate: 22856 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate: 29264 kbps
Downstream Training Margin: 6.0 dB
Downstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 1.0 DMT Symbols
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530200
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb5004244434da194
Downstream delay: 5.5 ms
Upstream delay: 5.9 ms
Tx total power 8.1 dbm
FE Tx total power 14.3 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 3475 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 2526 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length :0 ft
Current framing mode: 0x10 EFM
Bandplan Type...........: 2
No. of Upstream Bands...: 2
No. of Downstream Bands.: 1
Line Type: 0x01000000 VDSL2 Profile 12A
Downstream FFT Protection (Bearer1 Path): 1.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream FFT Protection (Bearer1 Path): 2.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Attenuation: NA (Only for ADSL1 & T1.413)
Upstream SNR Margin: NA (Only for ADSL1 & T1413)
Upstream Retransmission status: Disabled
Downstream Retransmission status: Disabled

MaynardKrebs
Premium

See my post immediately above yours.

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to cowwoc

said by cowwoc:

said by HiVolt:

VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 3426 ft

Looks like the distance is the culprit here...

That's my gut feeling too, although the Bell tech said it was 700 meters, not 1km like this seems to indicate. Technically speaking, couldn't Bell improve the situation by upgrading their box or adding an additional box closer to my location?

Gili

LOOK if they can give you 25 megabit down they cuold give you 10 up and just give you 20 megabit down or some such , htere jsut lazy do nothing pricks

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

2 edits
reply to cowwoc

Just got off the phone with a Bell technician. I got the exact coordinates of the Remote associated with my account (which apparently is the closest/best one around). It's located 500m driving distance, or 350m in a straight line, but is showing up as 3.5km (EDIT: I guess he meant 3500 feet = 1060m) line length.

They're going to send someone over to check for faulty/old equipment because he doesn't think the line length should be causing the kind of problems I'm seeing.

PS: The latest Bell technician lowered my connection speed to 20Mbps down, 1Mbps up. So now in total I went down from 22Mbps down, 2.2Mbps up to this. How much you want to bet that tomorrow the Bell technician "ups" my speed back up to 2.2Mbps and claims he fixed the problem?

Wish me luck

millsy200

join:2012-08-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to cowwoc

You guys have it so nice, I would take your speeds in a second. Southwestern Ontario, at least where I am is HORRIBLE internet DSL. My average speeds are this:

most recent speedtest result:

ping: 409 mbs
down: 0.65 mbs
upload: 0.30 mbs

I say again, I would take your speeds ANYTIME, ANY DAY!

I pay for 6/.8 and this is what I get ALL THE TIME... and they tell me there is nothing they can do about it (teksavvy that is) how can you complain to Bell if you are not there "technically" customer?

cowwoc

St John'S, NL

Someone in your situation should look into cable. The only reason I didn't do the same is I need a static IP and the fastest cable upload rate offered is lower than what I'm already getting.

Gili

said by millsy200:

You guys have it so nice, I would take your speeds in a second. Southwestern Ontario, at least where I am is HORRIBLE internet DSL. My average speeds are this:

most recent speedtest result:

ping: 409 mbs
down: 0.65 mbs
upload: 0.30 mbs

I say again, I would take your speeds ANYTIME, ANY DAY!

I pay for 6/.8 and this is what I get ALL THE TIME... and they tell me there is nothing they can do about it (teksavvy that is) how can you complain to Bell if you are not there "technically" customer?

millsy200

join:2012-08-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to cowwoc

unfortunately cable internet is not offered here, my only option is this dsl or dialup and I need a static IP as well for my home security camera system to function properly, as in, so I can log into it and check whats happening when I am away...