MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to GTFan

MVM

to GTFan

Re: Who Killed the Open Set-Top-Box?

FYI - Today's news on Ceton's Echo Windows Media Center Extender:

Ceton's $179 Echo Windows Media Center Extender is ready to go on sale 'around Thanksgiving'
By Richard Lawler, Engadget - October 11, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/10 ··· ing-179/
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

said by telcodad:

Ceton's $179 Echo Windows Media Center Extender is ready to go on sale 'around Thanksgiving'

Yep, and at the price (and with the limited feature set/tech specs) they're offering, it's about $79 too high. Which is too bad, because we need alternatives to the Xbox.

For $179 I expect it to be a damn good extender, which it should be, but also be able to play damn near everything I can throw at it, which it won't. At least not going by the specs Ceton has posted for it so far.

And with WMC being all but abandoned by MS, I'm guessing the already slim market for the Echo will be even smaller.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by GTFan:

said by telcodad:

Yep, and at the price (and with the limited feature set/tech specs) they're offering, it's about $79 too high. Which is too bad, because we need alternatives to the Xbox.

For $179 I expect it to be a damn good extender, which it should be, but also be able to play damn near everything I can throw at it, which it won't. At least not going by the specs Ceton has posted for it so far.

And with WMC being all but abandoned by MS, I'm guessing the already slim market for the Echo will be even smaller.

FYI - Just saw this blog item:

Get Windows 8 Pro Media Center for FREE!
By Craig Buckler, SitePoint - November 30, 2012
»www.sitepoint.com/free-w ··· -center/
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

Old news for those that run 7MC today and knew about the deal, but more importantly 8MC has some serious issues right now (like breaking compatability with existing extenders and removing network bridging for Ceton tuners) and no new features to justify using it. MS has abandoned development on the product.

It's good that it's free, because in its current state it should be.

The other sad part to this story is that the Ceton Echo has just been released and is riddled with bugs and DOA boxes. They'll likely get this fixed over time, but for a small company it's a big blow IMO.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by GTFan:

The other sad part to this story is that the Ceton Echo has just been released and is riddled with bugs and DOA boxes. They'll likely get this fixed over time, but for a small company it's a big blow IMO.

Yeah, Engadget was disappointed also:

Ceton Echo Windows Media Center Extender review
By Ben Drawbaugh, Engadget - December 11, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/12 ··· -review/