uniqs
share rss forum feed

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC
reply to cowboyro

Re: Subfloor thickness for tile?

Why not use true backerboard instead of ply?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

said by IIIBradIII:

Why not use true backerboard instead of ply?

Backerboard doesn't offer deflection resistance, just a good bonding substrate.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

Greer, SC

Well the first layer of ply should be fine, but I'd then add CBU on top of that, ensuring that the seams are overlapped.

Here's a deflection calc if it helps: »www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by IIIBradIII:

Well the first layer of ply should be fine, but I'd then add CBU on top of that, ensuring that the seams are overlapped.

He's already using Ditra, so there is no advantage to using a CBU.

I'd go existing 1/2", another 1/2", heating wire, ditra, tiles with the appropriate thinsets between all the layers of the sandwich. You'd be up ~1/4" at the threshold of the bathroom, but it's not uncommon to have some type of a transition there anyways so I don't think it will be a stumbling point or look wrong.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

Greer, SC

said by cdru:

said by IIIBradIII:

He's already using Ditra, so there is no advantage to using a CBU.

I'd go existing 1/2", another 1/2", heating wire, ditra, tiles with the appropriate thinsets between all the layers of the sandwich. You'd be up ~1/4" at the threshold of the bathroom, but it's not uncommon to have some type of a transition there anyways so I don't think it will be a stumbling point or look wrong.

Fair enough, I'm no expert.
--
»www.FlightSimWorld.com
Remember, there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
Flight Simulator