how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

From JF

@videotron.ca
reply to So far

Re: CRTC wants public help on new wireless rules

JF's filing requesting that the scope of these hearings be widened to include more:
»www.vaxination.ca/crtc/2012/CRTC···-oct.pdf

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

Since I'm not fully bi lingual I can't read it all, and attempts to convert it to another format (to run through a translator for the anglophones here) has failed.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

A quick summary of JF's submission is that

1. He feels that 2012-557 is too narrow, and there are a lot of other things that aren't included that can be anti-competitive

2. is already translated, to add that line to their public announcement

3. There are no advantages in requiring specific tariffs and it will take too long and be too costly to analyze, but there are other things outside the scope of discussion that affect free market and competition

4. Locked phones that make it hard to switch providers, showing a preference in offering TV services that do not count towards the cap, roaming fees and other things that others might want to discuss

5-8. If CRTC just mimics provincial laws that already exist, it adds nothing for consumers. They need to broaden their scope, otherwise the new policy will be incomplete and will not deal with the real problems.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

I think TV does count towards the cap a friend got nailed hard during the juniors last fall.

But at the same time, that does make me mad, because it doesn't cost them a shiny nickel to send me that data.

I was in Guelph a few weeks back and my sister calls me (who was also in town somewhere) she's got a Fav 5/10 deal so the call was free for her, but Rogers charged me for the call (LD). Now 70c isn't going to kill me, but this is something that also needs to be looked at.

You can call from NY to LA for free in the US but if I call my buddy in Withby, it's long distance. As well why am I paying LD for VM ,again it never leaves their network.

Little things like that need to be looked at, the nickel and diming that gets me worked up.

--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by elwoodblues:

I think TV does count towards the cap a friend got nailed hard during the juniors last fall.

Mobile TV, at least with Bell, is capped by the number of hours rather than data usage.

shrug

@videotron.ca

said by bt:

said by elwoodblues:

Mobile TV, at least with Bell, is capped by the number of hours rather than data usage.

With Videotron, you get 5-hours of free mobile TV per month, but they also state you pay for the data-usage. So... what exactly is free about that? Sounds confusing as all hell. Is it free or not free?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Content is "free".

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

BitTorrent & TPB also make it "free"

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

NNTP makes it semi free

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

BitTorrent & TPB also make it "free"

Sans 16+ minutes of commercial kaka every hour.

Not that I condone that sort of behaviour or anything.

Mike

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Of course.

Money4Words

@videotron.ca

The blabber mouth, Terence Corcoran, with no real insight decided to write more, this time about this new code of wireless conduct

»opinion.financialpost.com/2012/1···s-rules/

In it he slams the OpenMedia Mouth piece, Anderson, for daring to say he got hooked into a 3 year contract re-newel unbeknown to himself, and calls it out as bullshit.

Well who here has had their cell auto-renew? I know my wife has. And when she called to complain to Rogers, they said they took care of it and is no longer on contract and then lowered her price.

I laughed and told her they just put you on another contract. She says no way. I say call them and find out.... Yup, they stuck her on another contract. Boy was she pissed off. She handed me the phone and said get rid of it for me. So I did. I had to swear at them for what they did and told them to pull records so you can see the lies you told not only me, but my wife. Then they fixed it (I called the next day to confirm it, and it was finally done... or so they said).

So, it appears as Mr. Terence Corcoran once again doesn't have a clue what he is talking about while he is openly calling Steve Andersons story BS.

What we are seeing here is money4words. A media company (Financial Post) fighting what is actually going on with people (and their money) and calling it all lies.

Quite interesting, and yet sad, to see someone in the media saying it's all bullshit as hundreds of people are writing in.

Meanwhile, as this words4money man continues his disservice to all Canadians for profit, there is now over 750 people posting and detailing similar experiences over at the CRTC:
»services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ListeInt···c&Lang=e

I hope everyone here has submitted any mobile complaint to them that you have you encountered to help the CRTC see what is going on.

pick a name

@videotron.ca

People who are following this may want to note that there is a time extension to file your comments to the CRTC in regards to wireless.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/···57-1.htm
New deadline for submission of interventions/comments: 4 December 2012

File number: 8665-C12-201212448
Changes to procedure

With this notice, the Commission revises the procedure established in Proceeding to establish a mandatory code for mobile wireless services, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2012-557, 11 October 2012.

The procedural changes are as follows:

The Commission extends the deadlines to submit interventions and replies.
The Commission amends the date of the public hearing.
The amended notice provides additional details about the online consultation.
The amended notice confirms that parties will have the opportunity to file final written replies following the public hearing.
The amended notice sets out that, prior to the commencement of the public hearing, the Commission will issue a “draft code” document prepared by Commission staff, based on the interventions and replies, as a way to stimulate debate and focus submissions at the public hearing.

carcajou

join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues

The issue of outrageous TOS by cellphone companies has been addressed in Quebec by new articles in the Quebec Consumers Protection Act in 2010. The changes actually cover all kind of fixed term contracts. I saw in the newspapers during summer that Ontario has a bill on the table also ( I dont know what happened with it after that ).

Basically, the penalties for getting out of a fixed-term contract are now very limited in Quebec. Changing the TOS without first noticing clients is forbidden and rebilling for a new term without prior written notice is also forbidden. They also cannot auto-renew for another fixed term unless you want it. They can only renew on a monthly basis after the first term is completed.

All those companies now have a " distinct " contract for Quebec residents and never abandoned the market because of those limitations. Other provinces just need to do the same.

But the question of outrageous rates for data transfer using the cell services is up to the CRTC to decide. And I sure hope they will do something.

umm

@videotron.ca

The Quebec consumer act doesn't touch on all the issues. Only some.

The new Manitoba one is good also. But again doesn't touch on everything.

Peter Piper

@videotron.ca

The comments being filed w/ the CRTC in regards to this appears to be petering off at 834 filed comments.

»services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ListeInt···c&Lang=e

Doesn't seem like much.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues

Question: Don't these companies have to pay huge amounts of money to license the spectrum that they use? They never get that money back, right?

Wouldn't service be more affordable if the companies didn't have to pay these huge prices for their spectrum? As I understand it, Wind Mobile had to lay out over $400 million just for their spectrum. That's about 3.5 million every month for ten years to recover that.

Where does that money go, anyway?

No wonder prices are so high.

Edit: The topic was only 2 pages long, so I thought I'd try to get something going

hm

@videotron.ca

said by Oinktastic:

Wouldn't service be more affordable if the companies didn't have to pay these huge prices for their spectrum? As I understand it, Wind Mobile had to lay out over $400 million just for their spectrum. That's about 3.5 million every month for ten years to recover that.

Wind has 1/2 million customers with a rough average cost of 40$/month excluding phone costs as applicable.

That's $20,000,000 Max

12,500,000 Min if everyone has the cheapest plan (b/w extra)

So let's put it at the average (which it isn't), $16,000,000

That's 192,000,000/year not taking any extra's into account. So it surpasses that value.

No clue of their expenditure, tower rentals, and anything else.

I don't think they are worrying. They just want more spectrum and coverage.

chattahurtz

@videotron.ca

CRTC wants Canadians to now join them in an online chat (IRC?) to discuss the new wireless code!

CRTC invites Canadians to join online discussion on the wireless code
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2012/r121113.htm
... The online discussion will be open until 8 p.m. (EST) on December 4, 2012. Canadians can participate by visiting: »consultation.crtc.gc.ca

The comments submitted during this discussion will form part of the proceeding’s public record and will be used to develop a first draft of the code. The CRTC will facilitate a second online consultation from January 28 to February 1, 2013, during which Canadians will be able to see the result of their input and comment on the draft code.

That's a first. The Telecommunications Commission using internet communications to communicate with people... aaaah I had a car accident and i'm in a coma dreaming sh*t up... stupid me...*pinches self*... hmm... must be some weird nightmare and monsters are going to pop out any time now just have to say the magic word... Beetlejuice mumblehurtz.

Hmm

Expand your moderator at work