All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
chuck02
join:2012-04-05

chuck02 to singerie3

to singerie3

Re: Quebec Cable - Slow Speeds (vCable)

The issue here is not the speed cap, it's a congestion problem causing the connection to go completely down. The speed tests are just a way of measuring how bad it is.

Basically, on the worst nights, it goes from 0 to 10mbits every 5-10 seconds.

It's very bad for people trying to stream video feeds and I'm guessing online gaming.

Any ISP should be able to provide customers with a stable connection, no matter what "up to" marketing bullshit they use. TSI never played that card because I'm sure they know it would be wrong.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I checked on this and the third gig link is due to be installed on the 16th of October and then turned up either at the end of that week or early the next. Roughly 4-5 days after the physical link gets installed.

This third link was ordered at the same time as the last upgrade was installed. We're not sure why but the second link got used up abnormally quickly. Sales have been solid but nothing way out of the ordinary. Maybe speeds were upgraded but I'm not sure. Seems usage patterns have changed for existing users. The only thing we could have done differently would have been to go straight to 10gig and skip the 3rd gig link but even then, we'd still be waiting for the install. We would have needed to go from 1gig to 3gig to avert any congestion. Or to completely stop all new signups pretty much as the 2nd gig upgrade went in and even then, I don't know that it would have changed anything since the usage patterns appear to have changed.

The next upgrade is already in the works as well and it will be a 10gig link so future upgrades should be more quick since nothing physical needs to be added, all that will be needed will be to change the rate limit on the 10gig link. If usage patterns or speed upgrades occur.. we'll be in a better position to cope with it.

Calimera
@nrc.gc.ca

Calimera

Anon

Thanks, Marc.

I noticed the slow down too, starting maybe one-two weeks ago. I am also on a 30/2 plan and unlike some others here, I actually appreciate your (TSI's) efforts to resolve the situation. I can live with a few days of reduced speed if a solution is on the horizon. I think people tend to forget the times where there was only Bell and Videotron, speeds that we are getting now and unlimited data would have never been possible. So I'd like to actually thank you for providing me with a solid internet service. Cheers !

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

thanks!

I don't like slow internet either!
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Little hint for usage, I am subscribed to 15 mbits and getting closer to 22 mbit/s usually. It started a few weeks ago.

I am not complaining

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Cyborg994:

Little hint for usage, I am subscribed to 15 mbits and getting closer to 22 mbit/s usually. It started a few weeks ago.

I am not complaining

Ah! That would certainly explain it!

ghostly57
join:2011-08-22
QC, Canada

ghostly57

said by TSI Marc:

said by Cyborg994:

I am not complaining

Yeah, on the Videotron forum, there's thread that talks about the speed increases. Here it is: »[Internet] Changement Internet Haute Vitesse (In French)

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by ghostly57:

said by TSI Marc:

said by Cyborg994:

I am not complaining

Yeah, on the Videotron forum, there's thread that talks about the speed increases. Here it is: »[Internet] Changement Internet Haute Vitesse (In French)

well that totally explains it then.. no wonder our planning was thrown off! they upgraded everybody's speeds!! of course.. that's good news.. but it definately affects how much usage everybody uses too though since everybody can download faster...

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames

Premium Member

definately? lol