cowwoc
join:2007-05-19
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: Bell: We don't provide same service to Teksavvy customers

said by HiVolt:

VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 3426 ft

Looks like the distance is the culprit here...

That's my gut feeling too, although the Bell tech said it was 700 meters, not 1km like this seems to indicate. Technically speaking, couldn't Bell improve the situation by upgrading their box or adding an additional box closer to my location?

Gili
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by cowwoc:

Technically speaking, couldn't Bell improve the situation by upgrading their box or adding an additional box closer to my location?

Sure. Open a ticket and ask them to do just that. LOL

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to cowwoc

Premium Member

to cowwoc
said by cowwoc:

....Technically speaking, couldn't Bell improve the situation by upgrading their box or adding an additional box closer to my location?

Bell could do all KINDS of things !

How big of a bribe did you have in mind ?
cowwoc
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home? That sounds cheap enough (cheaper than adding a new box or paying for an extensive upgrade).

Gili
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by cowwoc:

Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home? That sounds cheap enough (cheaper than adding a new box or paying for an extensive upgrade).

Gili

no...
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to cowwoc

to cowwoc
said by cowwoc:

Couldn't Bell add an additional upload channel from the box to my home?

No. You're running into physical limitations of the wiring.
cowwoc
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc

said by bt:

said by cowwoc:

I understand I'm running into the physical limitation of a single wire, but can't Bell bond multiple wires (say one meant for my neighbor which isn't using DSL) to promise me faster service?

Is DSL bonding really my only realistic option? My house is using one line for DSL and the other for phone/alarm system. Wouldn't the second DSL run into interference with existing services?

Is it possible for me to bond two DSL connections with differing speeds? Perhaps I could get a cheap/slow second connection and use it purely to augment my upload speed? The cheapest option I see is DSL 6/0.8 for $30 but I'm paying for the extra download speed and bandwidth I don't need. Is there a cheaper option?

Thanks,
Gili
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by cowwoc:

said by bt:

said by cowwoc:

I understand I'm running into the physical limitation of a single wire, but can't Bell bond multiple wires (say one meant for my neighbor which isn't using DSL) to promise me faster service?

Is DSL bonding really my only realistic option? My house is using one line for DSL and the other for phone/alarm system. Wouldn't the second DSL run into interference with existing services?

Is it possible for me to bond two DSL connections with differing speeds? Perhaps I could get a cheap/slow second connection and use it purely to augment my upload speed? The cheapest option I see is DSL 6/0.8 for $30 but I'm paying for the extra download speed and bandwidth I don't need. Is there a cheaper option?

Thanks,
Gili

There's nothing else can do... Unless your line has a physical issue... they won't do anything else.

Bonding is between you and your ISP, and usually it's better to have lines at the same speed.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to cowwoc

Premium Member

to cowwoc
said by cowwoc:

You could probably run your own transatlantic fibre-optic cable from your front door to Europe faster and cheaper than Bell could give you an upgrade.
cowwoc
Saint-Laurent, QC

cowwoc

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by cowwoc:

You could probably run your own transatlantic fibre-optic cable from your front door to Europe faster and cheaper than Bell could give you an upgrade.

I have two co-workers abroad. One is in Bulgaria, another in Serbia. They have 64Mbps and 32Mbps connections, respectively, for less than $30/month.

Serbia!!! Come on people! Canada is such a third-world country when it comes to internet.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Duh, yes.

And I'll bet that on an income adjusted & "delivered bitrate"** basis that their service is a lot cheaper too.

** delivered bitrate = the actual measured bitrate available at the user premises, NOT the advertised speed.
komi
join:2011-07-08
North York, ON

komi to cowwoc

to cowwoc
Just go a bit south (Romania) and for $30 you'll get internet-50Mbps, cable TV with 10 HD channels and home phone-VOIP. Now that's a hot deal!
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Let's see him come up with the couple billion dollars first
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Let's see him come up with the couple billion dollars first

And even if it took him a while to do that, it would still be cheaper & faster than waiting for Bell.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to cowwoc

to cowwoc
said by cowwoc:

said by HiVolt:

VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 3426 ft

Looks like the distance is the culprit here...

That's my gut feeling too, although the Bell tech said it was 700 meters, not 1km like this seems to indicate. Technically speaking, couldn't Bell improve the situation by upgrading their box or adding an additional box closer to my location?

Gili

LOOK if they can give you 25 megabit down they cuold give you 10 up and just give you 20 megabit down or some such , htere jsut lazy do nothing pricks