spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

txx

@rr.com

roadrunner turbo with sb5101 ?

i don't want to pay $4/m for a modem and i also don't want to buy a docsis 3.0 modem because they're too expensive

i currently have rr standard 10/1mbit with an sb5101n that twc let me borrow..

i have an sb5101 arriving this week that i bought off ebay

i might plan on upgrading to turbo 20/2mbit, but i'm not sure if it'll work with turbo since it says on the twc website that you need docsis 3.0 for rr turbo:

i thought the sb5101 was capable upto 38mbit?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Technically, the SB5101 has no problem delivering 20Mb/sec on DOCSIS2. Whether or not TWC will activate it is another story.

Also, because DOCSIS2 is single channel only, you may have speed fluctuations. If TWC manages their network correctly and uses DCC properly, that shouldn't be an issue though.

My guess (and it's strictly a guess) is that the CSR would refuse to register the modem unless you lied and said it was a DOCSIS3 modem but gave them the MAC of your SB5101.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to txx
I have RR from TW's Central NY Syracuse Div. and went from Standard (15/1) to Turbo (25/2) a few months ago. I have a TW owned Moto SB5100, (Docsis 2.0) and asked if I needed a Doc 3 modem. They said absolutely NOT. So, now that I'm going to have to pay 4 bucks a month for my 6 yr. old Motorola SB5100, I will go out and buy a SB5101 for cheap ($22.-$25. on Ebay) since it WILL work for the Turbo. The prices for the Doc 3 approved modem, the SB6141, have gone through the roof in the last 2 weeks since the rate increase, er, "modem lease fee", whatever they call it, was announced. Had I known, I would have bought a 6141 when they were still within reach for me. (My Turbo speeds are working exactly as they should on the Doc 2 SB5100 series.) When, and IF they ever boost up to higher speeds here, (which I doubt I'll see in the next couple of years since we're always the last to get anything) then I'll spring for a Doc 3 modem.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to txx
I recently activated my Moto SB5101U. Im sure they can upgrade to Turbo plan. My customer service representative kept pressuring me to bump up to Turbo plan for $10 more and I have to say NO many time.

Anyway, Im sure you can get Turbo with your SB5101
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com

txxx

@rr.com
said by dragonman300:

I recently activated my Moto SB5101U. Im sure they can upgrade to Turbo plan. My customer service representative kept pressuring me to bump up to Turbo plan for $10 more and I have to say NO many time.

Anyway, Im sure you can get Turbo with your SB5101

well i just finished activating my sb5101 and the tech told me my area needs docsis 3.0 for rr turbo ..

but while i was activating the modem, i was asked if my modem was docsis 2.0 or 3.0 and the model number..

i guess i could lie, tell them i have an sb6141 docsis 3.0 and it -might- work..

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
Any future speed enhancements to Turbo will probably take it into a need for D3. Please dont come back and moan that you were misled into buying a D2 modem.

Its better to be ahead of the curve instead of behind it.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

txe

@rr.com
>time warner cable
>speed enhancements

hahaha, that's a good one..

anyhow, why spend $130 to buy an inflated priced sb6141 that has no turbo boost when i can just buy an sb5101 for $16 off ebay all while enjoying the same speeds AND turbo boost

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
Interesting, I thought sb5101 wasnt on approved list but I see I am blind looking at the list now.

turk621

join:2012-10-28
reply to PCInTech
I also have RR Turbo in CNY, using an SB5101. My download speeds fluctuate wildly. It may be 30 mbps, an hour later it's 9. I took my 5101 to a local TW office to upgrade modems(TW doesn't carry the SB6141, although they recommend it if you want to purchase your own). They told me I couldn't upgrade to the 3.0 modem unless I upgraded to RR Extreme. I've done lots of research, and I found many people having the same issue with download speed with the 5101. I also have a Cisco Linksys E1200 router, so it's not my router causing the fluctuating speed. The TW rep became annoyed when I complained about the fluctuating speed and the need to upgrade to a 3.0 modem for Turbo. She finally walked away from me, saying "I'm not going to stand here and argue with you". Needless to say, I still have a 5101, the 6141 cost is prohibitive(I found the same as another poster...the 6141 went from $99 at Amazon to $130 in 3 days). If TW was really concerned about their customers, they would have given me the 3.0 modem and be done with it, and I would have walked away happy. So now I'm going to pay $4 a month for what, IMO, is an under-performing modem.

wilmoo13

join:2012-11-17
Do your research carefully. I had a TW RCA DOCSIS 2.0 modem and went to service center to get a 3.0, they just laughed. So, I bought the SB6141. It is a great modem BUT TW provisions it in a way that they block you being able to configure any options. They tell me that this is not a problem, it is a feature... They are protecting me from myself in making changes that might not work. It is up and running but much slower than the old DOCSIS 2.0. These are the same folks that told me sometime back that the reason my service was down was probably because I had installed my ethernet cable wrong, to remove it and switch ends between the router and the NIC.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

said by wilmoo13:

So, I bought the SB6141. It is a great modem BUT TW provisions it in a way that they block you being able to configure any options. ... They are protecting me from myself in making changes that might not work.

??? The SB6141 is a dumb modem (only) and has no settings to change...

/M