Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit

[WIN7] Expanding a partition in win7

Here's a question I think is a windows problem

Ok so I started with a 2TB lun, formatted with NTFS and GPT
then expanded the lun to 4TB but windows won't allow the partition to be expanded.

I tried in Win7pro x64 and win2k3-x32
nether could expand the partition size to fill the lun

Windows sees the 4TB disk but says that there isn't any space to expand
The extend volume wizard shows the following
Total volume size as just under 4TB
Max available space as 2TB
and the largest it'll let me set the select amount to is 2TB

Am I going to have to reformat? did windows somehow set the block size wrong?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Anyone?

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

Can you post a screen of disk manager showing the partition(s) on the drive.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I'll get the screenshot when I get home.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Usually the problem is you have something to the right of the partition you are trying to expand. There can be nothing there. It must be unallocated space.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to DarkLogix

Sorry what is LUN? Never seen that before.

You will more then likely need an Aftermarket Disk partitioning program.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

Usually the problem is you have something to the right of the partition you are trying to expand. There can be nothing there. It must be unallocated space.

Its unallocated space.

I'm able to format it as a 2nd partition but that's not what I want to do.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

Assuming he isn't misusing the term, he is using a raid controller of some type which he hasn't mentioned as yet and "might" be contributing to the problem.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

said by aguen:

said by Shootist:

Assuming he isn't misusing the term, he is using a raid controller of some type which he hasn't mentioned as yet and "might" be contributing to the problem.

Well I will wait for the OP to answer but thanks. But if it is some type of RAID array you may be correct.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to aguen

said by aguen:

said by Shootist:

I'm using an iSCSI array, 3x 2TB drives in raid 5.

I started it with 2x 2TB drives in raid1 and added a 3rd and then migrated it to raid 5 then expanded the iSCSI LUN to 4TB.

So far from e-mail support with the maker of the array I should be able to expand the partition in win7x64 pro, but I'm not.

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to DarkLogix

So the array is strictly for storage purposes and you are trying to mount the 4 TB as one logical volume?

What type of disk volume (GPT or MBR) is the OS installed in on the machine running the iSCSI client? Who/what is providing the iSCSI target function at the array?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

The array (IE the target is a QNAP TS-469-Pro)

the C drive of my computer is MBR (as you can only have a GPT boot drive if you have a UEFI boot system)

the Volume that shows up in disk manager is formatted as GPT NTFS (as mentioned in the OP.)

The computer sees the 4TB volume but can't expand the 2TB partition on it to fill the volume. (I can make a partition on the 2nd 2TB but it won't let me make the 1st partition fill the volume)

iSCSI Client windows 7 Pro x64
iSCSI Target QNAP TS-469-Pro

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to DarkLogix

Well, from everything I've been able to find out, I'm thinking you're going to have to re-create the GPT on the newly expanded 4 TB volume in order to include the added space. This should then allow the entire 4 TB to be seen in disk management, where you can then do whatever you want with it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well Disk management sees the full 4TB and will put a 2nd partition on it but not expand the existing one to fill it.

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to DarkLogix

Ok, if your content to use it with the additional volume, that's good.
Just one more question, on the original NTFS disk on that volume, what sector size was used?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to DarkLogix

On the upside if I have to redo the Partition then luckily it's thin provisioned so I can make another 4TB lun and have my server work away at moving the data over. (I say server because it'll take awhile and I don't feel like leaving my computer on, but my server is always on)

Though I'll consider moving forward with connecting the 2nd Nic sooner. (the server has 2 nic's teamed and the qnap has 2 nics but I haven't connected the 2nd on the qnap yet.)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to aguen

said by aguen:

Ok, if your content to use it with the additional volume, that's good.
Just one more question, on the original NTFS disk on that volume, what sector size was used?

Well I want to have a single 4TB partition (just saying it will allow me to make a 2nd partition)

When I formatted the volume I left it at defaults so I'm not sure off hand of the sector size.

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

well, so far everything I have been able to find out ties back to a limit of the NTFS format and 512 sector size being a max of 2 TB. Unfortunately I'm in no position to verify this in practice. If you were able to remove the current NTFS partition such that you had the entire 4 TB raw volume and then create a new NTFS partition using 4096 sector size, you should be able to use it all.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Could you refresh my memory, is there a command to show sector size?

and is it possible to adjust it?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ok from some refreshing I guess I'll make another iSCSI lun and target on the QNAP and (with thin provisioning I can have 2x 4TB luns on a 4TB array so long as the total amount of actual data stored isn't more than 4TB)

And let my server spend the night moving files from one lun to the other.

I wanted to be sure that it was the issue before doing that though

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to DarkLogix

I believe you select the block size at time of format. The default size is 512. There is a drop down where you can select the size.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya but any way to check what it is after the fact?
I've found the info on how, so I'll do that first.

And set it to 4k because that's what the cool kids are doing j/k but really because it'll mean that I won't have to worry about it as at 4k it's move the limit to 16TB and even if I put 4x 4TB drives in (the max that current drive availability would allow) with raid 5 I still wouldn't hit 16TB with this unit.

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Click for full size
Heres a screen capture of the command output

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to DarkLogix

Based on what was displayed, specifically the "Bytes Per Physical Sector" you should apply this "optional" KB patch
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=12248

I'm not saying it will fix your particular issue but it can't hurt. It's basically just an updated ntfsutil.exe

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

well I tried but the WGA thing is bugged.
it says the version that downloads is no longer supported.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Click for full size
Because I said I would heres a print screen of the disk manager

for a fix what I'm doing is using my server to copy all the data from the 1st LUN to a 2ND lun (one perk of thin provisioning)

I made sure to select allocation unit size of 4096 and it didn't have any trouble making a 4TB partition (or well 3.5, I rounded it down from 3.6 because as you know a 2TB drive is not quite 2TB and the differance adds up

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to aguen

said by aguen:

Based on what was displayed, specifically the "Bytes Per Physical Sector" you should apply this "optional" KB patch
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=12248

I'm not saying it will fix your particular issue but it can't hurt. It's basically just an updated ntfsutil.exe

Well finally got the KB downloaded but my computer says already installed

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to DarkLogix

I gotta tell ya, the fact that your using iSCSI to connect to the NAS is a complicating factor here. Because of this, the disk driver currently installed on your PC that handles your internal drive(s) is the one that's trying to manage these particular volumes. If you haven't already tried it, try running that same command on the new volume you added and see if it gives the same response for the "Bytes per Physical Sector". If it does, then I'd have to say your just SOL. If it gives back a value of 4096, then I's say it's an issue with the way that first volume was initially created and there is no way you can fix it within your PC.

Lastly, if you still want to push it, try giving a shout out to koitsu See Profile, he may have more ideas.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

It gives the same message but as seen in the screen shot the new volume is able to be formatted, I think its just a matter of the alocation unit size that was auto selected when the volume had been 2tb.

So I'm in the process of copying data from the 1st volume to the 2nd

just couldn't expand the 1st partition