uniqs
share rss forum feed

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

Time for Christmas Displays

Alright halloweens almost here, so lets get started planning our Christmas Displays.

But as a serious question, where do you guys buy your christmas lights? I'm looking for quality lights that will last and that are LED. I'm going to be working on doing some Displays this year for clients. Have you found quality lights that have a built in rectifier to eliminate the 60htz flicker?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

Interesting topic. I haven't made the move to LED yet, I just think they look so 'cold'. I like the glow of a real filament I guess. That being said, I also haven't found any lights of quality. They just barely last the season, actually. Color flaking off the bulbs, etc....

I hope you get some good leads here.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Edrick
I buy mine AFTER christmas (To stock up for next year). The sales are insane. I guess it's a bit too late AFTER the last christmas for sales now.

As for quality, well, I'm limited to what the stores sell, they tend to carry only one brand each. They're all the same junk basically.

Though like Mattmag said, I like the old incandescent. I still miss the time when you had large bulbs in christmas trees (You know, the ones the size of a chandeleer bulb). They made christmas feel fuzzy and warm (Maybe because I was a kid).

I dont know what flicker you're talking about btw.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
reply to Edrick
I've been mostly happy with the Home depot EcoSmart LED warm whites... Brighter than the filiment so you can tell they are LED, but decent warmness so no cool blues are there. As for flicker, I guess I never paid close attention to it... might have to this year

»www.homedepot.com/Decor-Holiday- ··· 03512807

Comes in a reel, and I'm kinda bummed that they haven't made it a net yet...

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Though like Mattmag said, I like the old incandescent. I still miss the time when you had large bulbs in christmas trees (You know, the ones the size of a chandeleer bulb). They made christmas feel fuzzy and warm (Maybe because I was a kid).

The warmth could have been from each bulb being 5 - 7 watts. Christmas tree was more like a small heater!

Not enough experience with LED Christmas lights yet to recommend any.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to netboy34
said by netboy34:

As for flicker, I guess I never paid close attention to it... might have to this year

Dont.
In fact, try to forget about it completely.
The moment we notice, is the moment we will start hating it!

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Edrick
I've used those ones from Home Depot also with excellent results. The problem is I haven't seen them in colors, only white.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Msradell:

I've used those ones from Home Depot also with excellent results. The problem is I haven't seen them in colors, only white.

Odd, I've seen those at home depot, but only in colors, not in white (The spools).

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
reply to Edrick
Try Big Lots I believe that there is one near you. Most Xmas lights are crap designed for one season of use.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Edrick
I bought my LED lights at Sears and Target.

abslte18

join:2001-11-28
San Juan, PR
reply to Edrick
»www.beckergroupdirect.com/d/243/ ··· ance.htm

The have an awesome sale locally in Baltimore in November last year I was able to obtain 20ft led mini lights for 25 cents a piece. I bought a few cases

Now Im into the extreme christmas side of things. If you want to take it to the next level googe mega trees. You can find out how do that if you visit do it yourself christmas or »www.auschristmaslighting.com/ a U.S. based supplier would be diyledexpress.com