Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

Modem Stability Issues

Click for full size
Click for full size
I've been having modem stability issues for the past three weeks and getting new modems doesn't seem to be helping. Started in late September when my old RCA 425 had issues maintaining a connection. Exchanged it for another RCA 425 two weeks ago and it was relatively stable. I just activated my SB6141 recently to avoid the new RR rental fee but it seems to be suffering the same issue as my first modem.

Downstream and upstream power levels have been fluctuating with downstream levels between -6 and -10dB with upstream power levels between +52 and +58 dB. I had upstream channel bonding earlier in the week but it suddenly went away today and I'm left with the single channel shown in the screenshot. Cable modem is attached directly to the coax coming into the house. There's no splitters on the line.

Should I bite the bullet and ask for a tech to come out for this? I feel like my cable line from the overhead pole is probably loose or something. It's been sagging more and more in recent years and a couple of the clips used back in 2001 during service installation have fallen off the wall.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
Remove a splitter or use one of those OUT/-8db splitters whatever they called because ur upstream power level is out of spec as well as downstream sligthly out of spec but if you have modem timing out with such errors as T4 then thats because your upstream power level is out of spec. You want it to be under 52-53dbmv

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
I don't have any splitters (no CATV service)...modem is connected directly to the line coming in from the pole.
--

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
Are you sure? Check the grounding block thats most likely installed on your house as the line comes from the pole, make sure noone installed any splitters, and also you have no splitters at all in your home? If so then you maybe at very end of the line location in cable terms. Call level 3 tech and have a technicial dispatched, maybe he can connect it to a different tap on the pole, because if thats the levels u get direct then wow thats bad.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
Click for full size
Positive that there are no splitters anywhere from the pole to my house/cable modem. The grounding block on the side of my house is a loop with the grounding block in the middle of it. Pole line comes in one side and house line comes out the other...nothing else.

I'm attaching a picture of my service line coming off of the pole. I think I'm the only one coming off of this tap but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
--

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

Should I bite the bullet and ask for a tech to come out for this?

Yes, your upstream power is out of range.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
I can't wait for the tech to come and try to blame the issue on my new, non-leased modem.
--

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Damn! I took a loot at that picture and from the looks of it it's a freakin' wonder the service works at all in that area! Look, there are splitters just about everywhere! Damn. That area needs some serious amounts of planning and re-engineering.

The amount of noise and ingress must be horrendous!
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by trparky:

Damn! I took a loot at that picture and from the looks of it it's a freakin' wonder the service works at all in that area! Look, there are splitters just about everywhere! Damn. That area needs some serious amounts of planning and re-engineering.

The amount of noise and ingress must be horrendous!

Never been to NY, huh? That's actually pretty tame compared to some of the taps I've seen around Queens/Bronx/etc.

But I agree, that tap is maxed out.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
The number of cable subscriptions in my neighborhood have exploded over the past few years...probably because DSL isn't a great option.

What should I tell the tech though? I hope I don't get one that just tries a bunch of smoke and mirrors to save dealing with the overloaded taps.
--

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I'd say that you need to talk to Tier-3 and tell them straight-up that the taps are way overloaded. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that your problems are because of that mess up there on poll.

Each time you split using one of those splitters that you see up there you end up introducing not only noise but you also reduce the output signal strength.

The point of the matter is that TWC needs to get line techs out there to work on that line. That is a mess, it needs to be corrected.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
The weird thing is that it always seems to be terrible from about 2PM to 7PM and then the signal levels go back to somewhat acceptable ranges (between 52-55 dB for upstream). I wonder why that is.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Can vary with temperature or maybe a noisy device turning on/off. Have you called them yet?

Even at 52-55dB, it's still a bit high, although you probably won't have sync issues at 52.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
I'm actually going on vacation soon for a week so I'm not sure if RR can schedule appointments for the end of the month.

I'm usually stable at 55dB but this 58dB nonsense is driving me nuts. Seems that I can only connect to channel 14 upstream, which is the worst of the bunch. When I had channel bonding earlier in the week, I was connected to 4 upstream channels and the neighboring ones had better upstream power levels.
--

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
reply to Straphanger
That is one sketchy looking utility pole. Top rotted out. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't snap and come down.